Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dubai Press Conference

Pentax France will be going to Dubai for the press conference. The info being given there will NOT be disseminated until the Official Press conference sometime near the end of January. The major press conference for Europe is the Paris event.

Ben

01-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #2

Part of new Pentax strategy? New portion of rumors surely will fly out...
01-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Is this a common occurrence? It seems strange to me that Pentax would have a obviously well orchestrated Press conference in a place that is renowned for opulence and wealth 2 weeks before an official press conference in Europe and probably other regions as well. Is this how canikon orchestrate there press conferences as well?

Now this is Pentax we are talking about, a company that produces cameras that are excellent and far better than much of what the competition offers but always marketing them in a lower price bracket. Yet the initial international press conference is in Dubai where to many price is irrelevant.

It would seem to me that Pentax really think they have something special to go to these lengths and believe that info from the Dubai event will be embargoed for 2 weeks!

I am starting to believe that we are going to see a bit more than a K20D at the end of this month and perhaps the rumours of a 645D are not as far fetched as some may think.
01-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perks...

Sounds like very good PR for the press to be invited by Pentax to an exotic/futuristic environment to learn about a new product that might well shake the photographic world.

01-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pentax France will be going to Dubai for the press conference. The info being given there will NOT be disseminated until the Official Press conference sometime near the end of January. The major press conference for Europe is the Paris event.

Ben

Alas, 'tis a small world.

I can hope, anyways..
01-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So Jan 23rd will be the big day?
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #7

Woah, all these rumours must be pretty hot. 110 people watching this forum as we speak

01-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with you Falcons. This is way too much synchronization, embargo, and such for just a K100D and K10D update. Maybe they have the new lenses ready, and updates to the 645D, too.

I'm hoping someone will leak stuff after the 10th.
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe it'll be a replacement for the K1000.
01-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Is this a common occurrence? It seems strange to me that Pentax would have a obviously well orchestrated Press conference in a place that is renowned for opulence and wealth 2 weeks before an official press conference in Europe and probably other regions as well. Is this how canikon orchestrate there press conferences as well?

Now this is Pentax we are talking about, a company that produces cameras that are excellent and far better than much of what the competition offers but always marketing them in a lower price bracket. Yet the initial international press conference is in Dubai where to many price is irrelevant.

It would seem to me that Pentax really think they have something special to go to these lengths and believe that info from the Dubai event will be embargoed for 2 weeks!

I am starting to believe that we are going to see a bit more than a K20D at the end of this month and perhaps the rumours of a 645D are not as far fetched as some may think.

Once the public dog and pony show comes off, the press needs to have their articles
come out. Many of them have substantial lead times so they need to write their articles ahead of time and hold them under embargo (NDA) until the appointed them.

When the curtain goes up everyone who is any one (i.e) those who got a secret briefing in Daubi will have instant thoughtful articles already in their editorial sausage machine.
01-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Once the public dog and pony show comes off, the press needs to have their articles
come out. Many of them have substantial lead times so they need to write their articles ahead of time and hold them under embargo (NDA) until the appointed them.

When the curtain goes up everyone who is any one (i.e) those who got a secret briefing in Daubi will have instant thoughtful articles already in their editorial sausage machine.
Still seems a lot of effort for two cameras that effectively will be seen by the press as simply Pentax responses to the Nikon D40X, canon 40d & xti and the Nikon D300.

Spending a lot of cash to fly out Journos to give them a nice experience and two weeks lead time to write an article that will be edited to a byline on the 24th January, when, (in all probability) canon announce a 5dII - which will be anticipated as the the major photographic news of the day.

Now in my opinion Pentax either have a lot of spare cash in the marketing budget and they are hoping to bribe journos to be nice and throw Pentax a few crumbs or they really have something that is going to rock the foundations of the photography world and are very confident it will overshadow the 5dII.

I'll say it again - Are we talking the 645D here or what?
01-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #12

The 645d is a DINO that make no sense. Like Hasselblad or Mamiya.

Better Pentax goes FF with SR and top Lenses.

At 2009 Pentax will be 90 : FF Pentax XC ( roman 90 )

As second step, a very compact system like Auto 110 and high quality

That's the future of Photographie and Marketing.
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At least for a couple years, Pentax will not be able to compete for various reasons (including sensor availability/price, lenses anc Canikon competition).

But they could (if this thing is really marketable, I dunno) do well on the MF market if their price is right. The are known in the MF market and in that market, using old lenses might make sense.

Bringing something like 645D with 30+Mpix, SR? (I'm not convinced of the usefulness on an MF camera but why not after all) and weather sealed would be nice. Maybe they can keep a nice market position, at least in term of image to some pro photographers (studio, landscape...). BUt then they will need a lot of Hoya money to come with a complete system when their APS-C system isn't even complete.
01-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Maybe it'll be a replacement for the K1000.
D40 direct competition.

01-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vibi Quote
The 645d is a DINO that make no sense. Like Hasselblad or Mamiya.

Better Pentax goes FF with SR and top Lenses.

At 2009 Pentax will be 90 : FF Pentax XC ( roman 90 )

As second step, a very compact system like Auto 110 and high quality

That's the future of Photographie and Marketing.
Hasselblad and Mamiya make no sense? Maybe for some people's photography needs. For pros needing superior resolution and image quality, they spend the cash for a digital medium format system.

The only reason why they seem like "DINOs" is because of the prohibitive cost of building that system. So yeah, maybe a lot of people can't justify the cost (including me), but others certainly can. Otherwise, Hasselblad and Mamiya would've folded up long, long ago. Back in the film era even.

That's where the 645D could come in. Medium-format at a much more affordable price, enough to compete with the 1Ds'es. Studio shooters and landscape photographers would certainly welcome that.

I'd also be interested in a digital version of the 110 system, though.