Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 10th - Weatherproof 645D with in-body SR?

I've got a feeling it's coming back with a vengeance, which is too bad 'cause I'm still lusting after a 67D! They could rebuild that system with in-body auto-focus with sensor movement (a la Contax...).

So Ben, you've managed to get everything pushed back to the end of the month just to torment us even more! Way to go...

Please see my post in your 'finger for sale' thread for what I think of that!

Exciting times for Pentaxians - too bad Herb's not around anymore to share in the 'triumphs' that are about to be unleashed - he'll sure be missed. For those of us who weathered 'the dark years' (2001-2003) still shooting film, I must say, it's about time Pentax came back. Let's hope they've figured out the dynamic range conundrum, as well as the wimpy flash systems we've had to endure. It'd be really nice to see a wireless macro flash system at some point, and that flash in those leaked pictures seemed to be a radically new shape, as well: perhaps no more weak and breakable flash shoe attachments, but a more square solid base support system which would also go well with the weatherproof concept.

Some big lenses with powerzoom would be great, as well: I used to use image-size tracking quite a lot when shooting dogs and horses in action. That would be amazing for sports photographers; it's too bad Pentax never made a really good pro-body back in the early 90's to support it. Maybe it's time for a comeback, but based on the recent designs (DA* series) I doubt if that is going to happen. And it's been a LONG time since we've had ANY tele-converters or extension tubes, like not since auto-focus came in in the mid-80's...

And I still think somebody should do a digital hyper-focal scale, even if it was in-body; now, with a chip and a screen, it could be compatible with zooms as well. That was always one of my favorite ways to shoot reportage shots, with a wide angle lens set to f=8 or so; you didn't even have to wait for focus, because everything from 1.5' to infinity was already in focus - just fire away.

The anticipation is killin' us, Ben, just killin' us.

Cheers,
Cameron

01-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I miss the neat markings on the M 28/3.5 - Orange f/8, Orange 10? feet - and you had 5' out, point and shoot. Set her to orange and ignore the rest. Of course, these assume a full frame 8x10 print, max.
01-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I already posted the new Pentax offering...Did you miss it.

The Infamous "Pantex DX20"

Go Home the show ended weeks ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/16095-could-new-pentax-20dx.html
01-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #4

645d

I posted about the 645D in another forum and they didn't laugh at me...they mocked and insulted me. I say we can tell them to eat cake when this thing shows up.

01-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #5

You are a stirrer Ben!!

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/16095-could-new-pentax-20dx.html
You are enjoying this aren't you Ben... while we are drooling over the possibilities, you have seen the future and it is good.... I will be patient.

Phil
01-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice....

yeah, that looks like something you'd shoot with.

BTW, don't know if you've seen this rumour about a new Mac laptop with a docking station, but here's a sketch of what might be happening soon:

A docking station for the rumoured Powerbook with solid state memory.

Anyway, I've got the inside scoop that Pentax is actually working on a large format digital camera, far beyond the wimpy sized Hassy format; coming soon...

And I still hope Pentax's new offerings will be up to this Canon prototype of a few years back:

BTW, Ben, you know I'm just razzing you because you are our hero, man! I think your work is absolutely wonderful, and it's great that someone of your calibre would be using the same stuff some of us have used for years. Just curious, what's your favorite lens to shoot with, and what do you generally use for lighting? You may have posted about this elsewhere.

And keep posting stuff, Ben; you're bound to slip up sooner or later.

Cheers,
Cameron
01-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #7

Not sure if it was due to reading this thread or not but last night I had a dream.

Pentax ported all the features of the K10D into the 645D with a replacable back.

Was a nice dream.

bazz.

01-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
yeah, that looks like something you'd shoot with.

BTW, don't know if you've seen this rumour about a new Mac laptop with a docking station, but here's a sketch of what might be happening soon:

A docking station for the rumoured Powerbook with solid state memory.

Anyway, I've got the inside scoop that Pentax is actually working on a large format digital camera, far beyond the wimpy sized Hassy format; coming soon...

And I still hope Pentax's new offerings will be up to this Canon prototype of a few years back:

BTW, Ben, you know I'm just razzing you because you are our hero, man! I think your work is absolutely wonderful, and it's great that someone of your calibre would be using the same stuff some of us have used for years. Just curious, what's your favorite lens to shoot with, and what do you generally use for lighting? You may have posted about this elsewhere.

And keep posting stuff, Ben; you're bound to slip up sooner or later.

Cheers,
Cameron

Hi Cameron;

I have used most of the lenses. But the ones I use the most often are the 12-24 and the 16-45 and recently the 16-50. Of course I have used my 21, 31, 40 not the 50 yet the 70, 100 macro. Haven't used the 50-135 yet..A bit too long. For lighting in studio, it depends on what I want to accomplish. It can be flash exclusively i.e. power pack with several head. I often mix tungsten with flash, HMI with flash and Kino Lites with flash. Have done stuff with pilot lights only etc etc etc...

Best Wishes
Ben
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, yeah...

Hi Cameron;

I have used most of the lenses. But the ones I use the most often are the 12-24 and the 16-45 and recently the 16-50. Of course I have used my 21, 31, 40 not the 50 yet the 70, 100 macro. Haven't used the 50-135 yet..A bit too long. For lighting in studio, it depends on what I want to accomplish. It can be flash exclusively i.e. power pack with several head. I often mix tungsten with flash, HMI with flash and Kino Lites with flash. Have done stuff with pilot lights only etc etc etc...

Best Wishes
Ben
Thanks for publishing your sharpening algorythm - all these years in photoshop (since about 2.3 for me - I remember when 4.0 was a big deal!) and I never though of doing a fine sweep and then a wide sweep in USM. Brilliant.

I'm still working on getting things sharp and nicely lit in my little bit of studio work: want to master the basics first:

*ist D: FA* 85: 2x500 watt second flashes with softboxes and one 250 W/S bare for rim light.

Now, about the K20... you were saying....

Cheers,
Cameron