Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #241
Veteran Member

FYI I feel like focus peaking allows you to focus with a tighter tolerance than CIF - I think the tolerance for CIF is too loose. Pentax could tighten that tolerance up but it would then increase the chance of false-negative focus.

That said I don't recall trying CIF on the K-01 and I don't know if it exists.

04-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #242
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
FYI I feel like focus peaking allows you to focus with a tighter tolerance than CIF - I think the tolerance for CIF is too loose. Pentax could tighten that tolerance up but it would then increase the chance of false-negative focus.

That said I don't recall trying CIF on the K-01 and I don't know if it exists.
Yeah CIF is a little hit and miss really. I guess that is just down to the general autofocus system as much as anything. And yeah it better that sometimes it takes a picture out of focus than it missing ones that are.

I would be interested to find out about CIF on the k-01. I imagine it doesn't have it because of the difference in focus type or something.
04-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
i use catch-in-focus when I'm using my one manual focus lens, and that helps massively with moving targets- does the k-01 have any features built in like this?
i imagine that focus peaking does wonders in any situation with a still subject though
The K-01 doesn't have Catch-in-Focus as implemented from the K20 on. But it can be set not to fire unless the subject is in focus. I'm experimenting with pre-focusing on a spot and holding down the shutter button to see if I can capture a moving object at the point of critical focus. Also, shooting in RAW you get 6 frames at 6 fps, then the buffer fills and you only get 1fps thereafter. The jury is still out.

IMHO the K-01 really isn't intended for that use. It's feature set tends more to the K-r level than the K-5. It produces remarkably sharp, true-color images for landscape and portrait (stationary) subjects and is a dream for a guy like me with nice K lenses that I keep for the joy of using them.

For CIF use I suggest a full dSLR with OVF (prism, not penta-mirror) is the better tool.
04-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #244
ogl
Banned

Nikon updates entry-level DSLR with 24MP D3200 and optional WiFi: Digital Photography Review

It seems to me that Pentax will come in era 24 MP APS-C too very soon.

04-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Wth, Nikon? so with the D800 and its 36mp sensor for pros, newbies are going to get a kick out of 24mp? =)) Is the megapixel hype trending again?
04-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Wth, Nikon? so with the D800 and its 36mp sensor for pros, newbies are going to get a kick out of 24mp? =)) Is the megapixel hype trending again?
Kind of funny, since they were pushing 12mp FF for so long!
04-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think it might need to be mirrorless to use the k-mount.
If they were going to make a camera like that, they'd better drop the SR before they drop the OVF. After all, those analog DSLRs did fine without SR too

04-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If they were going to make a camera like that, they'd better drop the SR before they drop the OVF. After all, those analog DSLRs did fine without SR too
Again - I was referring to a 44x33 'MF' shoved into a k-mount. WIth or without the SR, it'd be tough to fit the mirror in there.

Actually I think I could fit it in there with a four bar mechanism but no one seems to do that.
04-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #249
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I was informed that the 36mp sensor has smaller pixels/sensels then the sony 16mp in the K5. Resulting in better IQ from the K5, only not in the FF format.
04-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I was informed that the 36mp sensor has smaller pixels/sensels then the sony 16mp in the K5. Resulting in better IQ from the K5, only not in the FF format.
It doesn't have smaller pixels, and even if it did, it wouldn't have better IQ, it would still have worse IQ than a FF sensor.
04-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #251
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
D3200 is not too pricey either...

I didn't expect the 24mp sensor to hit the lower/mid end so soon. "Nikon" plus 24mp is a powerful marketing combination.
04-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I didn't expect the 24mp sensor to hit the lower/mid end so soon. "Nikon" plus 24mp is a powerful marketing combination.
Same here. I thought that 24mp Sony sensor was reserved for the D7000/D300s successor. But no, Nikon put it in their lowest model.

So what will the K-r successor have? The K-5 sensor? I don't think Pentax will put the same 24mp thing in it.
04-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #253
ogl
Banned

Nikon offers MUCH cheaper 24 MP camera than Sony. 24 MP goes to low-end market...It's interesting
04-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #254

Next Pentax entry-level must have perfect performance in order to get some market. It will have features well above the Nikon D3200 probably (internal motor, SR, old lens compatibility, 1/6000 etc.) but....it will not have Nikon store presence and "Nikon" label.

Interesting to see Pentax move.
04-19-2012, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #255
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Next Pentax entry-level must have perfect performance in order to get some market. It will have features well above the Nikon D3200 probably (internal motor, SR, old lens compatibility, 1/6000 etc.) but....it will not have Nikon store presence and "Nikon" label.

Interesting to see Pentax move.
If previous statements by Pentax are to be believed it will also have 100% viewfinder.

It's moves like this by Nikon that make it very hard for Pentax to compete in the low-mid end DSLR market where margins are already thin. Pentax has more of a challenge to shift the volume of units it needs to at a profitable price to make models in this segment worthwhile.

This is one of the reasons I personally think that Pentax should shift to higher end, more niche, models where they can still slightly undercut Nikon/Canon but still make a profit. The K-r is not really a low end model as such but it's successor will be perceived as such versus the 3200 because of the (probable) 8mp difference in resolution.