Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
He was talking about the Nikon 50/1.8
Thnaks - and I was slyly poking all the naysayers RE: Pentax store presence. I gues my sly poke failed.

04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #317
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,688
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I would bet no more than 10% of entry level buyers never evolve beyond a 2 lens kit and most of them will never get out of green mode - this is just based on anecdotal observations though
I'm trying to figure out what you're saying. That 90% of entry level buyers buy more than two lenses, or 90% of buyers don't buy more than two lenses? Either way, I think 90% is too strong. Maybe it's the old 80/20 rule.

In my extended family there are five DSLR users. Two of us are interested in photography, three just have big black point & shoot DSLR's (green mode only), with one or two lenses. My BIL doesn't have an entry level camera, he has a 50D. He's terrified when I touch it that I'll change a setting and he won't be able to use the camera. He bought it because it's bigger and has more fps than my K20D.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-19-2012 at 06:21 PM.
04-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #318
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,117
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Kropnutost - it's one of word (new speak) in Russian which means "APS-C sensor's size", otherwise - CROP.
Krop = Crop. All European languages came from proto-languages of folk which lived at the territory of modern Russia many times ago (middle bank of Don river
Kostyonki, Voronezh Oblast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
Arkaim - Arkaim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - and this languages had the roots in Sanskrit.
Hey, thanks, I love historical information like that, very interesting
04-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #319
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
In my extended family there are five DSLR users. Two of us are interested in photography, three just have big black point & shoot DSLR's (green mode only), with one or two lenses. My BIL doesn't have an entry level camera, he has a 50D. He's terrified when I touch it that I'll change a setting and he won't be able to use the camera. He bought it because it's bigger and has more fps than my K20D.
LOL! I know a few of those myself. My father in law doesn't let me touch his Canon anymore, because I once took his ISO off auto mode. They're everywhere! So there's definitely a market.

What I see mostly is, they buy a kit: a body with two zooms. E.g.: 18-55 and 55-300. And then end up buying one Tamron mega-zoom, because they very strongly dislinke changing lenses. I know three of those cases in my family alone. And then they still complain about the zoomrange, because they were used to a compact with 50x zoom or something.

So, I agree that there is very little return from the investment via the lenses when they dump such bodies on the market with a loss or extremely small profit.

04-20-2012, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #320
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
All European languages came from proto-languages of folk which lived at the territory of modern Russia many times ago.
Correction: All European languages that belong to the Indo-European language family. But those that don't (notably Sami, Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian) also mostly originating in the territory of modern Russia - they belong to the Uralic family! In fact, I can't think of any other exception than Basque, which may even descend from the languages that the first Cro Magnon settlers of Europe spoke.
04-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #321
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Correction: All European languages that belong to the Indo-European language family. But those that don't (notably Sami, Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian) also mostly originating in the territory of modern Russia - they belong to the Uralic family! In fact, I can't think of any other exception than Basque, which may even descend from the languages that the first Cro Magnon settlers of Europe spoke.
Yes. I mean Indo-European.
Indo-European languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the roots of Hungarian are here Huns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And some of Finno-Ugric languages are from territory of Russia too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages

Anyway...we are all brothers and sister...
04-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #322
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL! I know a few of those myself. My father in law doesn't let me touch his Canon anymore, because I once took his ISO off auto mode. They're everywhere! So there's definitely a market.

What I see mostly is, they buy a kit: a body with two zooms. E.g.: 18-55 and 55-300. And then end up buying one Tamron mega-zoom, because they very strongly dislinke changing lenses. I know three of those cases in my family alone. And then they still complain about the zoomrange, because they were used to a compact with 50x zoom or something.

So, I agree that there is very little return from the investment via the lenses when they dump such bodies on the market with a loss or extremely small profit.
Im guess that is who Nikon are targeting. I watched the advert and I don't recall ever seeing anyone looks through the view finder. They all wield it like a p&s. or just randomly snap off photos without even an attempt at composing the picture.

Kindof makes me think I should be using a more spohisicated camera if there are probably more people using the k-r like this than what I would call "properly"
But that's not the point is it, you use it how you want etc.
Its just easier to pick out the amateurs by their shooting style than by their gear.
There's probably a whole load of people out there who use a canikon FF like a p&s...


Not that I have anything against amateurs. At least they are trying.

So will the k-r successor be the entry level model or will it be more entry level than this? I think the k-r struck quite a good level between cost an specs for me. Especially as I managed to trademin my IstDL for 200- when I was convinced it was worth more like 100. (that's what it was going for on eBay.)

Having seen that Nikon I think that it will have to be the same
Sort of thing to the k-r, just with bigger numbers...
I'm very interested in this middle model too. And the supposed k-3 and one above that?
I will be spoilt for choice on my 21st birthday...
How ideal
04-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #323
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,688
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What I see mostly is, they buy a kit: a body with two zooms. E.g.: 18-55 and 55-300. And then end up buying one Tamron mega-zoom, because they very strongly dislinke changing lenses. I know three of those cases in my family alone. And then they still complain about the zoomrange, because they were used to a compact with 50x zoom or something.
Classic!

In all seriousness, I believe Green Mode Only crowd is a huge demographic.

04-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #324
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Classic!

In all seriousness, I believe Green Mode Only crowd is a huge demographic.
Yep, and they exist at all levels of camera, but the 2 lens kit $1100 and under is the really big market. But I've seen guys with 5D2 and 70-200 2.8 L glass in green mode who have no idea how their gear works. they just bough it because the salesman told them it was the best and lots of pros used it.
04-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #325
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Shooting jpeg only on a 5dmkii in auto mode should be a crime.
04-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #326
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What I see mostly is, they buy a kit: a body with two zooms. E.g.: 18-55 and 55-300. And then end up buying one Tamron mega-zoom, because they very strongly dislinke changing lenses. I know three of those cases in my family alone. And then they still complain about the zoomrange, because they were used to a compact with 50x zoom or something.
There was a guy at the photo meetup I went to last month with a T3i and a Tamron 18-270. His comments were something along the line of "I can do everything with just this one lens!" I'm sure he'll be a this month's meetup so the guy from the camera store can tell him how to get out of green mode.
04-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #327
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There was a guy at the photo meetup I went to last month with a T3i and a Tamron 18-270. His comments were something along the line of "I can do everything with just this one lens!" I'm sure he'll be a this month's meetup so the guy from the camera store can tell him how to get out of green mode.
LMAO, there are a lot of those guys (my boss is one also a T3i user with the Canon superzoom - he's brand conscious )
04-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #328
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What I see mostly is, they buy a kit: a body with two zooms. E.g.: 18-55 and 55-300. And then end up buying one Tamron mega-zoom, because they very strongly dislinke changing lenses. I know three of those cases in my family alone. And then they still complain about the zoomrange, because they were used to a compact with 50x zoom or something.
This is so true. To deal with this Pentax could offer them a digital crop incamera like with working in LiveView. Like making the RED button in K-01 a 2x digital zoom, limiting the filesize to 2464x1632 (still 4 megapixel) and making that superzoom working for those folks.
04-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #329
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,688
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is so true. To deal with this Pentax could offer them a digital crop incamera like with working in LiveView. Like making the RED button in K-01 a 2x digital zoom, limiting the filesize to 2464x1632 (still 4 megapixel) and making that superzoom working for those folks.
That is a saleable idea. We know that digital zoom is a useless feature, but all p&s cameras have it, and these people think it's beneficial. I believe Sony offers digital zoom on (some of?) their DSLR's.
04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #330
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
...I've seen guys with 5D2 and 70-200 2.8 L glass in green mode who have no idea how their gear works...
Yep, and I even know a guy that shoots with his 5D2 and 70-200 L at 2.8 and 3200 ISO mid day! Apparently, he doesn't want to ever have to change the ISO, so he just shoots at 3200! Needless to say, a lot of his photos are overexposed in those conditions...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-r, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, successor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K30 Picture Leak & Discussion: Weather-sealed intro DSLR LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 1054 05-31-2012 01:12 AM
K-r's successor DarrenCax Pentax K-r 24 03-30-2012 07:27 PM
Are we likely to see a successor to the K-5 soon? RobA_Oz Pentax K-5 23 03-18-2012 10:03 AM
What does its successor need to be better to keep me from going for a cheaper K-x? JoepLX3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 09-02-2010 10:48 AM
There will be no K30 JCPentax Pentax News and Rumors 64 06-04-2009 06:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top