Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #346
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
D3200 samples are out on dpreview now! Wow - they high ISO is amazing, even ISO 12800 shots are usable, and ISO 3200 looks clean and nice.
They are nice, but keep in mind these are JPEGs, probably after smoothing and noise reduction was applied. You might get similar results from a K-5 and some PP.

04-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
You might get similar results from a K-5 and some PP.
Sure, but if it's on par with the K-5, it means that it's class leading (where class = APS-C, not "beginner")
04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #348
Inactive Account

I'd pay an extra $100 for zebra stripes.

$200 if they added FF.
04-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Now that there's so much talk about the D3200, the D3100's successor..

any word / leak / oracle about the K-r's successor? (Some rumours say there are two - like a low-end, and a high-end, just below the K-5 replacement?)

04-29-2012, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #350
Pentaxian

It is getting to the point (if it has not already) that the entry level model has a good enough IQ and a set of functions that it will have become adequate for nearly all levels of users for variety of purposes. This really pushes expectations for higher models almost to unreasonable levels. From the standpoint of observers, this is quite funny, but for manufactures this iis no joke, really. This leads me to say that the advanced user model better have a larger sensor . . . I believe that this is exactly what is happening with Nikon.
04-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #351
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
It is getting to the point (if it has not already) that the entry level model has a good enough IQ and a set of functions that it will have become adequate for nearly all levels of users for variety of purposes. This really pushes expectations for higher models almost to unreasonable levels. From the standpoint of observers, this is quite funny, but for manufactures this iis no joke, really. This leads me to say that the advanced user model better have a larger sensor . . . I believe that this is exactly what is happening with Nikon.
I don't agree with you Fontan I will gladly pay double for the difference in features of a K-5 over a K-r, (or their replacements), even if they have the same sensor and IQ.
04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #352
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Sure, but if it's on par with the K-5, it means that it's class leading (where class = APS-C, not "beginner")
I see mess at landscapes. No any details at all. With kit lens.
The picture from nikon official site is not bad, but...hard to say that it's good. Even with 40 macro.

If you are fan of low noise...

I see the line of Pentax cameras in this way:
mirrorless

Q system
K-0* system

DSLR system
K-z - between K-r and K-5 (in terms of features) with 24 MP
K-5's replacement - FF

645D system
04-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't agree with you Fontan I will gladly pay double for the difference in features of a K-5 over a K-r, (or their replacements), even if they have the same sensor and IQ.
You have very nice pictures on your album, but I think you could have taken those just as well with K-r. Just an opinion.

05-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #354
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have very nice pictures on your album, but I think you could have taken those just as well with K-r. Just an opinion.
Think you're missing the point!
05-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I see mess at landscapes. No any details at all. With kit lens.
The picture from nikon official site is not bad, but...hard to say that it's good. Even with 40 macro.

If you are fan of low noise...

mirrorless

Q system
K-0* system

DSLR system
K-5's replacement - FF

645D system
I believe Rich wants to expand the camera lines. I see a cropped sensor K-5 replacement and two FF modelsthat kind of matches the two cropped sensor cameras but with Ff.
05-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #356
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Actually I have a K-x and K20D. The K-x has better high ISO performance and better DR. I prefer the look of K20 files at low ISO, but the K20D is my main camera because of the handling. I find the K-x controls frustrating. Mostly I miss TAv mode, where I can control both aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO float. I use the buttons for AF-C and metering mode a lot. With the K20D, I can switch these simply by moving my fingers, no menu diving. And of course there's the second wheel. I often leave the camera in Program mode, and control aperture and shutter speed as I'm shooting (Hyper-Program mode). The K-x needs two button pushes to contol for shutter speed, and doesn't allow me to change both simultaneously. With the K20, I can roll both wheels at the same time, in opposite directions, so exposure and ISO don't change. I don't use multiple focal points, but many people do. Again, this is a dial instead of menu diving. I love User mode on the K20. I'm looking forward to multiple User modes on the next body. And of course the K20D is WR, which I test a lot.

I expect the K-r will have auto ISO in Manual mode, as implemented on the K-01, which will address my main frustration with the K-x.
05-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #357
Pentaxian

Exactly why I gulped and bought a second K-5 when the price plunged to replace my K-X as a second body and backup. Switching from from one to the other every few minutes drove me nuts. May turn out to be a poor investment decision but I'm not at all convinced I'm ready to invest in a FF and a tweak of the K-5 may not be worth the initial price.
05-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #358
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
mirrorless

Q system
K-0* system

DSLR system
K-5's replacement - FF

645D system
Well in future I see also a FF K-0* camera, but for the near future not yet. My guess is that K-5 replacement camera will be the mid-level aps-c (I hop they stick with 16mp). And then a FF camera.
05-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #359
Veteran Member

k30 and coming soon (so I've heard)
05-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #360
Veteran Member

I saw my 1st K-01 in the flesh today and it looked great. It was a silver and black unit.. I wanted to take it home but had to remind myself that I'm jumping ship.. lol