Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #436
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Why not the same as they did in the past?

K-m had similar features to the K-r, penta-mirror, one wheel
K-200D same controls and OVF as K-m, larger body, WR
K20D and K-7 had similar feature set to K-5
Pentax hasn't had 3 dSLR bodies in production at the same time for very long. The K10d was still on the self when the K20d and K10d was released but it wasn't really in production. The K200d was a unique model in that it was a "mid" WR body. They hadn't done that before or since.

The K200d had a Penta-mirror and 1 wheel and WR and an improved version of the K10d sensor. . I bought one when the first come out and a K20d a little later. However, the K-x and K-r never shared sensors whit any previous flagship dSLR. The K-m/k2000 was at the very tail end of the K200d and am not even sure if the K200d was even still in production so the used up the sensors in the K-m. The K20d sensor was held over for the K-7. The K10d and K20d shared body styles but a new sensor in the later. The K-7 and K-5 shared body styles but not sensor and AF. It is a very good possibility that the new flagship body will have some changes as well as a 24mp sensor.

Back to my question, what would be the difference and advantage in a entry level 16mp dSLR and a WR mid-level dSLR other than WR other than the possibility of a penta-prism and 2nd wheel. The other option would be to cripple the entry model in some way. The other possibility would be to put the 24mp in a mid-level single wheel penta-mirror WR body.

05-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax hasn't had 3 dSLR bodies in production at the same time for very long. The K10d was still on the self when the K20d and K10d was released but it wasn't really in production. The K200d was a unique model in that it was a "mid" WR body. They hadn't done that before or since.

The K200d had a Penta-mirror and 1 wheel and WR and an improved version of the K10d sensor. . I bought one when the first come out and a K20d a little later. However, the K-x and K-r never shared sensors whit any previous flagship DSLR. The K-m/k2000 was at the very tail end of the K200d and am not even sure if the K200d was even still in production so the used up the sensors in the K-m. The K20d sensor was held over for the K-7. The K10d and K20d shared body styles but a new sensor in the later. The K-7 and K-5 shared body styles but not sensor and AF. It is a very good possibility that the new flagship body will have some changes as well as a 24mp sensor.

Back to my question, what would be the difference and advantage in a entry level 16mp DSLR and a WR mid-level DSLR other than WR other than the possibility of a pentaprism and 2nd wheel. The other option would be to cripple the entry model in some way. The other possibility would be to put the 24mp in a mid-level single wheel pentamirror WR body.
If the entry is the k-01 basically with a 100% ovf (since that apparently will be the norm) pentamirror. the step could be WR single wheel Pentaprism 16mp, or still pentamirror and 24mp, then k3 is fully featured and better built

Ricoh did recognize the need for a 4 camera line earlier this year in an interview. if the entry is somewhat crippled on feature content but sells cheaply it brings new users to the brand so I have no issue with that. entry with a 2 lens kit may be all those users ever by, but a percentage will move up and create demand for more lenses

Last edited by eddie1960; 05-14-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #438
D0n
Banned

I do not think the k-01 will be the entry level camera. I suspect that a much cheaper k-01 could be made using a lighter, less...designer styled plastic body..... everything else being equal.
that means the kr replacement will in all likelyhood be the same internals as the k-01 with a kr body. then the k5-n (with upgraded video specs) becomes the mid tier body and a new semi pro or pro spec body for the enthusiasts....
05-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #439
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
If the entry is the k-01 basically with a 100% ovf (since that apparently will be the norm) pentamirror. the step could be WR single wheel Pentaprism 16mp, or still pentamirror and 24mp, then k3 is fully featured and better built . . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I do not think the k-01 will be the entry level camera. I suspect that a much cheaper k-01 could be made using a lighter, less...designer styled plastic body..... everything else being equal. ....

I think eddie meant exactly what you are saying - except mirrorless is separate from mirrored
  • 1) Take the K-01 internals as it is, add a 100% OVF pentamirror in a simple plastic dSLR body and you have entry level.
  • 2) Add a 100% pentaprism, metal shell body, WR, etc. and you have mid-range
  • 3) Add a 24MP sensor in a K-5 style dual-wheel body (plus some features like articulating LCD) and you have enthusiast
  • 4) Add cutting edge stuff or FF and you have near-pro (D800 competitor)
    • but I still think the pro effort will be a system, not just a camera
Plus you have Q, K-zero series, 645 series as well as WG and other PnS. When you look at this lineup pentax has the broadest lineup out there.

05-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #440
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It would be nice if they put the K-5 viewfinder in a weather sealed body kind of like a K200d. However, they seem to like the penta-mirror in that class. That is one of my few complaints with the K200d was the penta-mirror.

That is what it sounds like to me. However, if they use the 16mp sensor in both the entry and mid-level dSLR what will be the distinguishing feature besides WR? Drop the Pentamirror in the mid-level? 2 wheels?
They might put a penta-prism and 2 wheels on the Kr replacement too, so it'd be better than most other entry level dSLR cameras in the market
05-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
They might put a penta-prism and 2 wheels on the Kr replacement too, so it'd be better than most other entry level dSLR cameras in the market
I would give this a .00000000001% chance of happening.
05-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
While it would be a good addition, a lot of upgraders (from Pns) I've been talking to (mostly yuppies who just got their first jobs, want to go SLR but can only dream of K-5s/7Ds/D7000s) don't get what pentaprisms are and what's the big deal for 2 control wheels or even in-body IS. Maybe that's why Nikon insisted on putting the 24mp sensor in the lowest-of-the-low model of their DSLR lineup, the D3200. A top LCD, WR, and focus motor are more physically visible advantages I think will help pull these kinds of customers away from those plasticky competitors. While of course these may cost more, these will also give more brand security to newbies - that Pentax is a serious brand that gives them better value for their money.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think eddie meant exactly what you are saying - except mirrorless is separate from mirrored
1) Take the K-01 internals as it is, add a 100% OVF pentamirror in a simple plastic dSLR body and you have entry level.
2) Add a 100% pentaprism, metal shell body, WR, etc. and you have mid-range
3) Add a 24MP sensor in a K-5 style dual-wheel body (plus some features like articulating LCD) and you have enthusiast
4) Add cutting edge stuff or FF and you have near-pro (D800 competitor) but I still think the pro effort will be a system, not just a camera
I like this lineup too.

05-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #443
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
While it would be a good addition, a lot of upgraders (from Pns) I've been talking to (mostly yuppies who just got their first jobs, want to go SLR but can only dream of K-5s/7Ds/D7000s) don't get what pentaprisms are and what's the big deal for 2 control wheels or even in-body IS. Maybe that's why Nikon insisted on putting the 24mp sensor in the lowest-of-the-low model of their DSLR lineup, the D3200. A top LCD, WR, and focus motor are more physically visible advantages I think will help pull these kinds of customers away from those plasticky competitors. While of course these may cost more, these will also give more brand security to newbies - that Pentax is a serious brand that gives them better value for their money.

I like this lineup too.
The K200d had a top LCD. That is one other thing that separates it from the K-m, K-x and K-r genre.
05-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #444
Veteran Member

The K200d had a top LCD. That is one other thing that separates it from the K-m, K-x and K-r genre.
If it's a 4-camera lineup, then the K-r replacement could remain in the same form factor (and risk losing to Nikon's D3200.... unless it has the K-5's internals)

For a 3-camera lineup I think a top-LCD'd model would present a better pulling factor vs D3200s, 600D's and D5200's.
05-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #445
Veteran Member

We should be placing bets, lol. I don't think Pentax will have a 4 model DSLR line-up in poduction at the same time, I'd put money on that. At most I think there will be 3.

#1 I also suspect there won't be a K-5 replacement at all, or rather the K-5 replacement will be a FF camera in a slightly enlarged K-5 body. If I'm wrong on FF only then do I tihnk we'll see a APS-C K-3 (that will bascially be D.O.A. as far as sales and success in the market is concerned)

#2 K200D level replacement will be the next model down.

#3 K-r entry level replacement

There will be no Q or K-01 replacement before mid-2013, if ever.
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
We should be placing bets, lol. I don't think Pentax will have a 4 model DSLR line-up in poduction at the same time, I'd put money on that.
You might want to qualify that with 'sub $4k, currently manufactured, etc.' before someone like me comes and starts picking nits.
05-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #447
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
If it's a 4-camera lineup, then the K-r replacement could remain in the same form factor (and risk losing to Nikon's D3200.... unless it has the K-5's internals)

For a 3-camera lineup I think a top-LCD'd model would present a better pulling factor vs D3200s, 600D's and D5200's.
I wouldn't expect any new dSLR have anything less than the K-5/K-01 sensor. It could be in a non WR body with similar dials as the K-r. The next up would be WR, top LCD and maybe a pentaprism.

The top aps-c would be a redesign with 24mp sensor.

Above that would be the ff.
05-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You might want to qualify that with 'sub $4k, currently manufactured, etc.' before someone like me comes and starts picking nits.
I keep forgetting about that other DSLR Anyone notice how poor the resale is on it? They seem to drop more in value in a year than the cost of a brand new D800.
05-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #449
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If you are going to do that, you need some of these.

05-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I would give this a .00000000001% chance of happening.
Well, 00000000001% is still possible, right?