Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #586
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
A lot of talk of this Pentax FF--seems to be almost certain
If we look at all the talk over the year about FF, we would now have 6 FF camera's at the moment....
FF won't happen this year, they need to set up a FF lin production and such and i doubt Ricoh can do that in 1 year, with that i mean line production for new FF and APS-C lenses, new camera APS-C and FF and also the development of these cameras and lenses.

05-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #587
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If we look at all the talk over the year about FF, we would now have 6 FF camera's at the moment....
FF won't happen this year, they need to set up a FF lin production and such and i doubt Ricoh can do that in 1 year, with that i mean line production for new FF and APS-C lenses, new camera APS-C and FF and also the development of these cameras and lenses.
I would not be surprised by the prototype showing at photokina with a projected launch of march 2013
05-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #588
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I would not be surprised by the prototype showing at photokina with a projected launch of march 2013
Yeah they might be developing one right now, while the APS-C cameras are make ready for production, but this development take some time.
They wont be able to set up a complete FF line this year but next year might certainly be possible.
05-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #589
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yeah they might be developing one right now, while the APS-C cameras are make ready for production, but this development take some time.
They wont be able to set up a complete FF line this year but next year might certainly be possible.
As long as they give hope~

PF users live practically on that stuff

05-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #590
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
After seeing the D3200 pics posted by imaging-resource in their comparometer section, I hope Pentax won't put the new 24mp sensor in a successor to K-5. Pics taken with K-5 and K-x look better at any ISO. The dpreview comparative tool may leave one with the impression that the D3200 is better, but if one examines the pics provided by imaging-resources and keeps them full screen instead of enlarging them 100% or 200%, even K-x's images look much nicer than those of the D3200.
Putting a 24mp sensor in the entry-level camera D3200 does not make too much sense to me, then the replacement of D5100, D7000 and anything above that would have to be something close to 24mp if not more. I honestly hope R/P does not go into that mp hype... as someone here suggested.
05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #591
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Putting a 24mp sensor in the entry-level camera D3200 does not make too much sense to me, then the replacement of D5100, D7000 and anything above that would have to be something close to 24mp if not more.
it could be all 3 using 24mp with varying levels of crippling and lacking features a few people have speculated that.
05-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #592
Pentaxian

Anvh
Making a new production line is not hard anymore. Tooling up for that size of parts; Casting , plastic mold can take from final design to production less than 3 months. Everything is done on CNC. All the internal guts , buttons and most électronics are pretty standard or can be adapted from others .
Settings up the assembly line could take 30 days as this is not very different than an APS-C , mirrorless or the 645D. Producing enought to fill the markets could take another 30 days
Ricoh took over in October 2011. If you remember they stop making K-R this winter. I believe they were already in preparation for major change in the product line. Also now that the K-30 is out , sales of K-5 will probably be cannibalize and volume going down will permit the next change over.
First the K1, now K-30 , next ....
05-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #593
Veteran Member

Setting it up but you also need to develop and optimize the prodcution process, no idea what times it takes preciesly.
I was mostly talking about developing a product in my comment.
Developing a FF camera and lets say 4 or 6 FF lenses, those products can never be ready for the consumer in 6 months time so if there is anything in the pipeline for FF it might come next year but most certainly not sooner.
Not while they just made these APS-C cameras (K-01 and K30)

05-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #594
Veteran Member

There's definitely some holes in the lineup but they don't need 4 to 6 FF lenses to introduce a FF camera. They need a 24-75 (hey, there's one on the roadmap!) and a 12-24 (hey, there's one on the roadmap!). Of course those lenses may well NOT be FF, and in the 12-24 case it's probably not FF, but a man can dream.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/183420-current...me-lenses.html
05-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it could be all 3 using 24mp with varying levels of crippling and lacking features a few people have speculated that.
[rant mode ON]

.... You see, that's exactly the thing that I hate about Canon & Nikon . - (and many other dominant consumer goods manufacturers, hell even FMCG and food manufacturers do it..)
.... you have a hundred engineers to develop a line of cameras that are as good as they can be ....
.... and then you have another hundred engineers developing ways to make them worse with the same components more cheaply so you can sell them to poorer people.

If I was in the second group I'd have to do Seppuku.

[rant mode OFF]
05-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #596
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
[rant mode ON]

.... You see, that's exactly the thing that I hate about Canon & Nikon . - (and many other dominant consumer goods manufacturers, hell even FMCG and food manufacturers do it..)
.... you have a hundred engineers to develop a line of cameras that are as good as they can be ....
.... and then you have another hundred engineers developing ways to make them worse with the same components more cheaply so you can sell them to poorer people.

[rant mode OFF]
what r u gonna do? disembowel yerself with a memory card? lol!
seriously... the laws of economics when making chips out of silicone wafers... you have to sell enough chips to make the production costs and wastes economical...same applies to image sensors... what'd really tick you off is knowing the manufacturers will often deliberately cripple the system on the lower priced models... epson is notorious for this with printers... the lower cost units actually had microchips installed to slow down the printhead, and waste more ink at start up and on cleaning cycles becuse the entry level models used the exact same parts as the high end models... by forcing the consumer to choose between fast print speeds, on expensive models or lower price (and make up loss on ink ) on the cheaper models...
so yeah it sucks, but the truth is Pentax is more likely to give you a better spec'd entry model than canon or sony BECAUSE they don't have the resources and must use the same components across the board.
the k-01 and k30 must have many shared electronics with only variances in firmware to account for the shutter and different menu options.

Last edited by D0n; 05-18-2012 at 06:46 AM.
05-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #597
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
[rant mode ON]

[rant mode OFF]

While i mostly agree this is not a new thing. Even in film days they "crippled" lower price cameras by removing features they all used the same quality sensor after all. Look for instance at the SF series or the PZ series, or the MX/ZX series. there were always multiple bodies with increasing levels of sophistication and build quality.
05-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #598

After reading this thread i am wondering why everyone thinks the "battery and AA" comment means AA in a grip? It would be more logical that it means the little AA cage like the k-r had as shown here Amazon.com: Pentax K-r 39100 AA Battery Holder-Adapter D-BH109: Camera & Photo
Where are the photos or specs or rumors published that implied that the AAs are in a grip? I saw this comment several places in this thread. I hate grips they are clearly for people in studios and not climbing/skiing/sailing/rafting/etc. but the little cage adapter is a great compromise between us AA users and those that have a domestic life enough to recharge. Any links and citations about batteries on the k30 is greatly appreciated.

If it takes AA (without a grip) i will buy one ASAP.
05-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #599

because of the "and/or" things
the little cage you refer to would be AA or Battery
05-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #600

but now we know it is gonna be a few colors camera, i dont think they will produce those colors grip => so just black grip or no grip at all ...