Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #601
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
After reading this thread i am wondering why everyone thinks the "battery and AA" comment means AA in a grip? It would be more logical that it means the little AA cage like the k-r had as shown here Amazon.com: Pentax K-r 39100 AA Battery Holder-Adapter D-BH109: Camera & Photo
Where are the photos or specs or rumors published that implied that the AAs are in a grip? I saw this comment several places in this thread. I hate grips they are clearly for people in studios and not climbing/skiing/sailing/rafting/etc. but the little cage adapter is a great compromise between us AA users and those that have a domestic life enough to recharge. Any links and citations about batteries on the k30 is greatly appreciated.

If it takes AA (without a grip) i will buy one ASAP.
i suspect you are gonna be happy... just look at the kr's aa adaptor and think... why the heck did they not build that right into the camera, no external adaptor required? and on the k30, I suspect that is exactly what they've done....

05-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #602

could be yes
05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #603
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
i suspect you are gonna be happy... just look at the kr's aa adaptor and think... why the heck did they not build that right into the camera, no external adaptor required? and on the k30, I suspect that is exactly what they've done....
it can't be "built-in" into the camera body and still be called an "adapter". Might as well make the thing run directly from AA's then....
05-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #604

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
because of the "and/or" things
the little cage you refer to would be AA or Battery
Good logic there french mike...good logic.
Sad for me. Grips are cumbersome and proprietary rechargeables are useless to me. Bummer.

05-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #605

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I hope you are correct.
05-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #606

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
it can't be "built-in" into the camera body and still be called an "adapter". Might as well make the thing run directly from AA's then....
Yeah. I vote for that.
05-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #607
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
Good logic there french mike...good logic.
Sad for me. Grips are cumbersome and proprietary rechargeables are useless to me. Bummer.
I think the gist of what I said is being lost in semantics here..
look at the kr aa battery adaptor.. and look at the slot it fits into inside the camera body, and I tell you a redesign of the camera's battery compartment and battery cover door could have allowed the use of either aa's or the lion battery with NO ADAPTOR REQUIRED... the adaptor for the kr was a money grab.
the new k30 could very well take BOTH types of batteries, either a propriety battery or aa's without needing an adaptor at all.
that is what I am saying......

05-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #608
mee
Veteran Member

I use a set of Eneloop rechargables with my Kx since I got it 2 years ago. Always worked well. I've been waiting for a WR Pentax body that has at least auto (if not also on-the-fly manual) focus video mode. Hoping at least the K-30 has improved video support and drops in price.

One of the main reasons I went with Pentax was the bang for the buck.. now they have gone and enforced MSRP and thus it isn't really any cheaper from others. If I hadn't already bought a couple of lenses I'd have probably just switched to Nikon. :c/ Glad to see Pentax still in it.. but setting the prices higher to make yourself look more 'professional' is slippery territory.
05-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #609
Veteran Member

If you only have a couple of lenses and you think you're 'in it for the long haul' then the cost of switching shouldn't really deter you.
05-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #610
mee
Veteran Member

Hah! That's what you think.

However, Not everyone has your perspective.. Perhaps some of us have with less money for a hobby where 300-400 dollar lenses are a pretty big deal! :c )

Yeah, not the end of the world, but big enough deal to deter at this point. Unless, of course, Ricoh kills Pentax....

Last edited by mee; 05-19-2012 at 06:46 AM.
05-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If we look at all the talk over the year about FF, we would now have 6 FF camera's at the moment....
FF won't happen this year, they need to set up a FF lin production and such and i doubt Ricoh can do that in 1 year, with that i mean line production for new FF and APS-C lenses, new camera APS-C and FF and also the development of these cameras and lenses.
Pentax will compete full-pro, including building out (over time) pro-level service and distribution.

They won't immediately cover ALL categories of professional use (i.e. perhaps won't immediately compete in sports/action and/or reportage) but could enter ceremonial, landscape (with dSLR) and studio (with 645D line).

This isn't a single-camera release with a few ageing lenses. It is a long-term commitment and a systematic process of investments and releases to develop a competitive professional alternative that has the Pentax DNA, smaller, rugged, ergonomic intelligence, optics, WS, IBIS, DIFFERENT.

Same long-term investment and brand-building strategy will be applied to consumer/enthusiast lines (different, like Q and K-0x)

I attended my last undergraduate Commencement exercises this week, at a high-ticket, elite university (full-ride student in my case). Of course I saw hundreds of parents shooting with dSLR's and MANY hundreds of P&S. The dSLR's were nearly universally lower model Canon and a zoom lens, mostly used by the mothers). Not a single Pentax; just a few Nikon carried by fathers whose clothing and watches rivaled the camera in total cost, except the paid, pro portrait shooters using Nikon.

FF announced at Photokina with a release first half of 2013.
05-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
While i mostly agree this is not a new thing. Even in film days they "crippled" lower price cameras by removing features they all used the same quality sensor after all. Look for instance at the SF series or the PZ series, or the MX/ZX series. there were always multiple bodies with increasing levels of sophistication and build quality.
Such as simply not printing 1/1000 on the shutter sheet dial?
05-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #613
Veteran Member

Monochrome
I garantee most of the user of the DSLRyou saw were using liveview not the OVF to take photo. The K1was introduce for them
05-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Monochrome
I garantee most of the user of the DSLRyou saw were using liveview not the OVF to take photo. The K1was introduce for them
Actually, the dSLR users were shooting OVF - many left-eye - and chimping like crazy..

I was shooting K-01. (It missed one shot of my daughter walking towards me holding her diploma. The CDAF was too slow; even 55~300 @55mm at f/6.4 10000 ISO, to catch her in sharp focus (user error - should have used tracking AF). My wife thinks that shot is fine, so I don't care much.

Should have brought the K10D for that one shot but I didn't want to lug it around for 4 hours to get 10 seconds of shooting. The K-01 set shots are stunning - all done outdoors with no LCD problems.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-19-2012 at 10:45 AM.
05-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #615
Veteran Member

I actually like the idea of the AA adapter, makes switching batteries easier if you've 2 adapters.