Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #616
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
as a separate product category (though effectively it is a DSLR but MF is a different game), just like now. P&S the Q and K-01 are also separate categories also.
The k-01 is a different category, BUT #1 it is aps-c, and #2 it takes k-mount lenses without the need for adapters and maintains af in af lenses. It is still part of the k-mount system.

05-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #617
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They won't immediately cover ALL categories of professional use
Whatever they do, they should make Pentax attractive to wedding photogs again. That's such a huge business. In the old days I saw pro wedding photogs using Pentax 67s, 645s, LXs, MX's, P30's etc, but almost all universally dropped Pentax once digital came. They could be won back with a Pentax FF with improved AF, improved flash system, great high-ISO, and some new glass like a fast 24-70. And something cheaper than the 645D
05-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #618
Inactive Account

The K-01 is a designer camera! That means you aren't actually supposed to take pictures with it!
05-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #619
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
The K-01 is a designer camera! That means you aren't actually supposed to take pictures with it!

05-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #620
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed about wedding photogs, but since those pros are now heavily invested into not only glass but lighting for Canon or Nikon, Pentax would have to do something unique with FF to entice them to switch systems, and not something trivial like making their TTL cross-compatible with other systems, though that would be nice. They'd need something that Canikon dont' offer, which is hard to do when they've both been in the FF space for a while.

Pentax has already said that if they did FF it wouldn't be a "me too" type of camera. Of course that was before Ricoh IIRC, so those bets might be off.
05-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #621
Veteran Member

My recollection was that the 'we won't do a me too' camera was after Ricoh. I am completely un-confident with that, though.

In either case, though... what company would SAY that they're going to do a me-too camera?
05-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
My recollection was that the 'we won't do a me too' camera was after Ricoh. I am completely un-confident with that, though.
We need to think about a FF camera as more than just a stand-alone camera body and stand-alone economics.

Any FF camera Pentax released would have some unique feature to add utility and draw attention in the FF marketplace. Additionally, such a camera would serve as a development platform for technology to upscale to the 645 line and downscale to the APS line (as was done with the K-7 electronics in the 645D). Thus development costs are spread over higher volumes and longer time periods (note the 16Mp Sony sensor, processing algorithms and Prime M imaging engine are now released in the mid-market K30 and (What?) market K-01).

One suggestion of a unique and useful feature for professionals is an interchangeable viewfinder such as was available on the LX. Another is an extension of the Ricoh Mountor technology, so that (in effect) the sensor is upgradeable without throwing out all the rest of the body.

Disucss, please!

05-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #623
Veteran Member

I think the processing chips, etc., will need to come in a bundle with the sensor (we always want the fastest processing, best AF, etc)... i.e. you need a complete module, not just a sensor. So you're back to a Ricoh camera.

I don't have a problem with keeping the same ergonomics and controls - in fact if I could freeze the external design of the k-5 I probably would - but the downside to that modularity is increased initial cost, weight, and volume, which would mean my k-5 would have to be larger.

I agree with you that introducing a FF will help Pentax as a brand. In fact, contrary to what others have said, Canon recently emphasized that much of their camera profit was going to come from higher-end cameras.

In terms of interchangeable viewfinders... that might be worth it now that EVF's are coming closer to being viable. For me it'd come down to the same tradeoff - cost, weight, and volume of this interchange-ability. FWIW I was completely against EVF's until I saw focus peaking; now I'm a convert. For general use, though, EVF is still not up to par, and I'd much rather have an OVF if I'm forced to decide between the two.
05-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #624
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One suggestion of a unique and useful feature for professionals is an interchangeable viewfinder such as was available on the LX.

Disucss, please!
This would be great if it could be done while maintaining WR. In fact, making the digital equivalent of an LX would be a great idea. Perhaps a focus on manual shooting, or something revolutionary with low-light metering.
05-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #625
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I actually like the idea of the AA adapter, makes switching batteries easier if you've 2 adapters.
or multiple bodies using the same adaptor... like the old vivitar 283/285 battery clips.... very convienient actually....
05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #626
Veteran Member

Pentax will compete full-pro, including building out (over time) pro-level service and distribution.

They won't immediately cover ALL categories of professional use (i.e. perhaps won't immediately compete in sports/action and/or reportage) but could enter ceremonial, landscape (with dSLR) and studio (with 645D line).

This isn't a single-camera release with a few ageing lenses. It is a long-term commitment and a systematic process of investments and releases to develop a competitive professional alternative that has the Pentax DNA, smaller, rugged, ergonomic intelligence, optics, WS, IBIS, DIFFERENT.
I'm not talking about the future, i'm talking about the start.

If they want to compete with FF in some of the pro segments they simply need to launch the camera with some good basic lenses.
Something like 28-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 would already be enough as a good launch start and with a roadmap for the other lenses.

Like i said, nobody in their right minds will buy Pentax FF if they dont have the lenses for it or can not buy the basic of quality lenses.

ps. 645D is actually more aimed at landscape shooters then any other MF camera, the weather sealing is an example of that.
05-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #627
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not talking about the future, i'm talking about the start.
I'm talking about next spring - with enough new FF lenses to encourage new buyers. That's what all those lens designers will have been doing for a year.
05-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #628
Veteran Member

Look at the lens roadmap, there are quite a few new lenses if you look at the Q, K and the 645 mount roadmaps.
Dont know how big the team is but i'm not convinced there is a "secret" developing going on for an FF.

I actually hope they put in a lot of effort in putting what they have now strongly in the market, that's far more important then any FF camera.
No matter how you look at it they are simply too late with their FF if they really want to compete with Nikon and Canon, they have a very big lead.
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #629
Pentaxian

Look at the lens roadmap, there are quite a few new lenses if you look at the Q, K and the 645 mount roadmaps.
Dont know how big the team is but i'm not convinced there is a "secret" developing going on for an FF.
I'm still wondering if they will introduce a smaller and much more aggressively priced 645D mount body instead of a 24x36 camera. But I'm not sure how wise it is.
05-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #630
D0n
Banned

you know it is also possible that there is a mirror less evil 645-d coming... and if like the 4/3s system this one does reduce the flange distance, and use adaptors... if the sensor is similar in size tothe 645d and it also does video then a 35mm ff kmount adaptor should be easily do-able, and a 645 and 6x7 lens adaptors should also be doable...
just thinking it's possible... a k-01 on steriods... lol!