Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #196
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well of course I'm not right, unless I'm incredibly lucky at guessing the meaning of hints and clues. Whatever portion of my supposition is true (I am firm on the K-5, K-5n and the K-3) I edited the original post to include "This is an incredibly rich product menu."

I really don't know why everyone is so down on Pentax Ricoh (except in the USA, where they can't seem to get out of their own way).

(Ducking now)
Well I'm not the biggest fan for the 24mp aps-c, so I hope that Sony will pop-up with something new, like 20 mp or so. I do like the mid-life-update K-5n. I think that is something Pentax should do in future more often, to present an update model when time goes on.

04-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well of course I'm not right, unless I'm incredibly lucky at guessing the meaning of hints and clues. Whatever portion of my supposition is true (I am firm on the K-5, K-5n and the K-3) I edited the original post to include "This is an incredibly rich product menu."

I really don't know why everyone is so down on Pentax Ricoh (except in the USA, where they can't seem to get out of their own way).

(Ducking now)

The only place I have heard rumors of the K-5n is here at PF. I am wondering where this rumor got started?

I would guess the K-r replacement will be in May. We already have a leak with all the possible colors. So it seem to be a K-r type of body with hopefully the guts from the K-01.

The silver version of the K-5 has been announce. Usually this means that it is the last batch camera and the end is near. Then again for the K-5 there has been two silver editions. My guess is the two natural disasters delayed things. The K-5n would be nice, with the updated sensor and processor and maybe even a tilt screen if the rumor is right. I would put the K-5n release in July. It seems like Pentax just might be able to release a new interchangeable lens camera every two months or so.

This will leave September, which is around Photokina time frame to announce the new "flagship", which my guess will be another cropped sensor camera, maybe with the 24 MP Sony sensor, then again their are several sensor makers coming out with stuff that gets close to the Sony. Also some new non-Brayer arrays that has shown near FF image quality (Fuji). I would also guess the new "flagship" camera will have a hydbrid viewfinder has one of its exciting features.

This will give Pentax a three teir dslr system along with the entry level K-01 for four K-mount cameras.

Dave
04-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The only place I have heard rumors of the K-5n is here at PF. I am wondering where this rumor got started?

I
Here at PF :
04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Dave
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Here at PF :
There was a rather broad hint a couple weeks ago. Seemed to suggest the K5n was still under NDA in the hands of testers, then the entire thing was given away in code. If that was a sophisticated psy-op it was the best one I've ver seen here.

04-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I expect a K-r replacement very soon and a K-5 replacement later. A K-5n with extra frills would work, the K-5 is still highly competitive. I put a lot of stock in this interview:
We Interview Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin

"Ricoh are a well established and profitable company with cash reserves which means they are able to invest in Pentax and make it a more competitive company with an apealling array of products. When Ricoh set out to buy Pentax, they said they wanted to grow the DSLR market, and fill in the gaps where there are any."

He seems pretty dismissive of FF, so I'm not expecting anything. Where are the gaps in the APS-C line?

"To be competitive in the Digital SLR market you need a full range of cameras, for example Canon and Nikon have a range of 4 cameras from entry level to professional."

This statement only makes sense if he's referencing APS-C.
Canon APS-C: T2, T3, 60D, 7D
Nikon APS-C: D3100, D5100, D7000, D300s

I could see the K200D body (one dial, WR) making a comeback, and maybe the rumoured pro-grade body above the K-5 line.
04-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Admittedly Sony do not need 30 TV models but one has to ask how many Pentax bodies the sales channel can understand, stock, explain, and sell effectively.

Four DSLRs (APS-C or FF) + MF + Q + K-01 = (roughly) seven bodies and three mounts. For a company with a market share small enough that it earns, in the eyes of some, the label "cult", that's a lot to ask of the channel, the reviewers, and the prospective buyers.

I got a headache thinking about all of this and simply bought a second K-5. I could understand that and it solved a series of problems.
04-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #202
Veteran Member

I think the four product matrix would be perfectly understandable, the Q (small sensor), the K (entry level mirrorless K mount), the G (evolution of the GXR with different modules of sensor+lens mount) and the 645D. I don't think this year we'll be there, for now there will be a K-3 APS-C reflex, but next round (one year and a half, or two years from now) the current GXR will be replaced with an evolution within the Pentax brand, stopping the production of fixed lens modules and replacing them with sensor modules of various format, one for Q lenses, one for APS-C, one for 645D and, who knows, one for FF.

04-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #203
Veteran Member

While FF is possible, I highly doubt that it will be anytime soon. In order to do FF they'd have to suddenly start producing all their old FA lenses concurrently with their Q lenses, DA lenses and their MF lenses. I don't know if Pentax can handle that logistically. Frankly, I think the K-01 in some aspects gives us a clue of what Pentax is going to do. They are going mirrorless but keeping the k-mount. Frankly, I don't care if my camera has a mirror or not, I just want to not have to worry about an adapter to use the lenses I paid good money for.
04-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Huh?

Pentax already has the 31, 43, 50, 77,100... that are without-a-doubt full frame capable.

The 300 was patented as FF. So was the 60-250. Falk et al. have done some tests on other lenses.

So then they're missing a wide angle and mid-range zoom.

And there's a midrange zoom on the lens roadmap with either a 18-85 or 24-75 range, and in my view it looks way more like 24-75... which you have to admit seems an awful lot like it will be an FA range rather than a DA range, no?

If it's 18-85 then of course that argument loses steam.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 04-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.
04-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Touche. Sorry, this Nyquil (cough medicine) is got me all loopy. Also, if they do go FF they'll probably include a crop mode so that all the DA lenses work as well.
04-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Touche. Sorry, this Nyquil (cough medicine) is got me all loopy. Also, if they do go FF they'll probably include a crop mode so that all the DA lenses work as well.
A crop mode I don't think would be the thing that makes a Pentax FF a hot sell. Nobody would spend 3000 dollars to use it basically ONLY in crop mode because there are not FF zooms. First, or at least at the same time, they have to put out the right gear for a FF camera: at least 16-35/2,8, 24-70/2,8, 70-200/2,8, 85/1,4 and 300/2,8 with rear converters...
04-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
A heads-up to do what? Aren't Nikon and Canon enough busy competing with each other? Why they should care about Pentax FF?

p.s. I am not one of those waiting for (Pentax) FF. I'm not such a good photographer to benefit from a FF sensor.
Simple, move D700 and 5Dmk2 to 1800 $/€ and Pentax FF is dead.
04-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Not if they do a FF mirrorless with new short mount, to allow use of ANY kind of lens, including Leica M. That plus complete manual control for video, would be enough to warrant attention form the market. Ricoh with the M mountor for the GXR has shown to understand this kind of move.

What I don't know is how such a move would compete inside the company with the 645D.

Maybe a wiser move would be not a FF but a 645D mirrorless, with short mount and adapter for K lenses in FF-crop mode. If Samsung is really working on a medium format CMOS, and is willing to sell it to Ricoh.
04-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It seems odd that Pentax would release two DSLR's at photokina.

It also seems odd to release one, say a month or two before photokina, and then another one at photokina.

Etc.

The longer we wait without a k-r replacement, the less likely it seems that photokina will have a FF.
Releasing and annoucing are 2 different things they could announce a new camera 3 to 4 months before photokina and release it 2 or so months after the and then announce a new camera at photokina which they have on display their and then release that the next month.
I hope the new Kr will come this summer before the big vacations and around Christmas the new K5
04-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #210
Pentaxian

So the answer to the shortage of FF lenses is to start from scratch, with zero lenses?