Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #256
Veteran Member

The Nikon D3200: All I can say is "Oh dear!"

I do hope Pentax have their arses in gear because this looks pretty scary.

On a side note: Why is it that other brands make these announcements at any time but we expect to wait until September?

04-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #257

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The Nikon D3200: All I can say is "Oh dear!"

I do hope Pentax have their arses in gear because this looks pretty scary.

On a side note: Why is it that other brands make these announcements at any time but we expect to wait until September?
Because they actually have the cameras developed, production lines ready and want to make some money!
04-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good point... I'm guessing we assume Pentax doesn't want to wake the big dogs?

Correction: For that, the big dogs would have to be asleep, clearly they're not.

Another guess: We're used to Pentax unnecessary secrecy by now?
04-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #259
Veteran Member

Yes, it's more than the marketing smoke, mirrors and prices we've been seeing.

I doubt Pentax can come up with a camera of this spec and price point in the near future, and, to be frank, I am tempted to sell off my gear right now because it seems like there's just far too much volatility in the market place. I am very interested to see what the D7000 replacement spec is like. Pentax had better up their game and fast. Nikon seems to be going very aggressively in what appears to be a bid to break and re-define existing markets and unless Ricoh are prepared to put their money on the line I can't see Pentax competing.

04-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #260
Inactive Account

Wow and ouch....

Pentax better get their arses in gear at photokina.
I think that the way forward will probably be to push the mirror less trend quite hard and make the k-5 successor the best apsc again.

Having that high MP count in a low end camera, I think Pentax wouldn't be stupid to ditch the mirror in the k-r susessor and make it compete
elsewhere. Though maybe that is stupid because they need the upgrade path?
04-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #261
Inactive Account

Yes, it's more than the marketing smoke, mirrors and prices we've been seeing.

I doubt Pentax can come up with a camera of this spec and price point in the near future, and, to be frank, I am tempted to sell off my gear right now because it seems like there's just far too much volatility in the market place. I am very interested to see what the D7000 replacement spec is like. Pentax had better up their game and fast. Nikon seems to be going very aggressively in what appears to be a bid to break and re-define existing markets and unless Ricoh are prepared to put their money on the line I can't see Pentax competing.
Yes, this put a large raincloud over my previous optimism.
04-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #262
Veteran Member

And I think the latest Nikon D3200 is the reason why the K-01 by Pentax is a good move. It's something different and it doesn't have to compete with the latest Nikon head to head any more. Different markets.

04-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #263
Veteran Member

(I've been officially diagnosed with chronic optimism. So apologies for the following...)

Do you guys think Nikon has become so agressive because they are anticipating Ricoh's influence? Are they expecting Pentax Ricoh Imaging to come with something big? That would be cool, because they probably know more then us.
04-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #264
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Because they actually have the cameras developed, production lines ready and want to make some money!
I dont see why Pentax should be different though. They should get to hat stage just as quick as the next company.
04-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
I dont see why Pentax should be different though. They should get to hat stage just as quick as the next company.
I was wondering if the K-r successor is so late because they got news about what Nikon was up to, and decided they had to add some features in order to compete...
04-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #266
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
(I've been officially diagnosed with chronic optimism. So apologies for the following...)

Do you guys think Nikon has become so agressive because they are anticipating Ricoh's influence? Are they expecting Pentax Ricoh Imaging to come with something big? That would be cool, because they probably know more then us.

Thats the type of talk I was looking for!
Unlikely I guess but possible. I suppose we need to wait for canons hand in this.

I really hope that Ricoh have gone at this with everything they have. I feel that they won't get any second chances.
04-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #267
Veteran Member

I don't think so Clav'. I think the P&S market, along with other formats, have put pressure on the APS-C product line and this seems an almost loss leader way of destroying those markets (or taking our minds off of it in the short term at least). You have to wonder why Pentax released the K-01 as a 16mp camera in light of this release and it goes to show that they're still a few steps behind strategically in all of this. They haven't even got the balls to mention FF in interviews let alone say they're releasing one. It's not like the actual format is a seriously new thing or anything.

It boils down to this I think: I loved Kodachrome and never really got into Tri-X but it looks as though Nikon now have the former 'built-in' and the rest of us will be left using Tri-X.

Well... ..maybe not, but it gets my point across I think.

Last edited by bossa; 04-19-2012 at 01:42 AM.
04-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #268
Pentaxian

It boils down to this I think: I loved Kodachrome and never really got into Tri-X but it looks as though Nikon now have the former 'built-in' and the rest of us will be left using Tri-X.
That's over the top. My guess is that the IQ difference between the D3200 and the K-01 is going to be minuscule, and the latter may even be slightly better at high ISOs. But having said that - if the D3200 uses the same sensor as the NEX-7, it's a very good sensor (my daughter has the NEX-7, but I only have the K10D, so I can't really judge myself how the 24mp sensor compares to the K-5).
04-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
Thats the type of talk I was looking for!
Unlikely I guess but possible. I suppose we need to wait for canons hand in this.

I really hope that Ricoh have gone at this with everything they have. I feel that they won't get any second chances.
Well, Ricoh isn't afraid to go head to head with the other big boys. Just look at what they did in the copier/printer market.
04-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That's over the top. My guess is that the IQ difference between the D3200 and the K-01 is going to be minuscule, and the latter may even be slightly better at high ISOs. But having said that - if the D3200 uses the same sensor as the NEX-7, it's a very good sensor (my daughter has the NEX-7, but I only have the K10D, so I can't really judge myself how the 24mp sensor compares to the K-5).
You could have quoted my qualification couldn't you? It was tongue in cheek you know? I did forget the emoticon though....