Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #286
Inactive Account

i don't think that hard drives filling up will be any sort of defence.

you could just use the camera on 12mp most of the time and then put it onto 24 if you thought you might want to crop or make a large print.
the capability to do those things and switch between sizes is what people will go after.

04-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
. i really don't see the problem.
Well the problem is that some of us don't want to go out and buy a new PC, memory cards, backup harddrives and everything just because we want a new camera. Its a hassle and its expensive. Id rather spend the money on the body or on a lens.
04-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #288

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well the problem is that some of us don't want to go out and buy a new PC, memory cards, backup harddrives and everything just because we want a new camera. Its a hassle and its expensive. Id rather spend the money on the body or on a lens.
exactly
04-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #289
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Some of us? I'm guessing a lot of us. If your computer just manages the 16mp files, then maybe 18 is still workable, but 24 will become a big problem.

That's the biggest burden though: the processing power. Storage is cheap. Both memory and hardrives haven't been cheaper ever.

04-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #290
Inactive Account

get an ivy bridge MBP when they come out, they will have processing power by the dumper truck load
04-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
If previous statements by Pentax are to be believed it will also have 100% viewfinder.

It's moves like this by Nikon that make it very hard for Pentax to compete in the low-mid end DSLR market where margins are already thin. Pentax has more of a challenge to shift the volume of units it needs to at a profitable price to make models in this segment worthwhile.

This is one of the reasons I personally think that Pentax should shift to higher end, more niche, models where they can still slightly undercut Nikon/Canon but still make a profit. The K-r is not really a low end model as such but it's successor will be perceived as such versus the 3200 because of the (probable) 8mp difference in resolution.
Like Wayne Gretsky skating to where the puck will be, not where it is, Nikon knows where Pentax wants to go and is trying to get there first.
04-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Like Wayne Gretsky skating to where the puck will be, not where it is, Nikon knows where Pentax wants to go and is trying to get there first.
I don't think they care much. Probably not worth having more than one meeting about the subject. They know where to direct their time, energy, and development resources.

04-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #293
Veteran Member

It seems like Nikon really want to just shut the door on the competition and are prepared to pay for it.
04-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It seems like Nikon really want to just shut the door on the competition and are prepared to pay for it.
And I think they were really looking at the Canon share of the entry/Mid market and attacking that. Pentax is just collateral damage
04-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #295
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon has more megapixels.

K-r replacement will have; wireless flash, spot metering, in-body motor, higher frame rate, higher max shutter speed, bracketing, HDR, 100% viewfinder, sturdier construction and better DR and high ISO (assuming the 16mp sensor). Seriously, which is the better body, to anyone other than a pure noob counting pixels?
04-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nikon has more megapixels.

K-r replacement will have; wireless flash, spot metering, in-body motor, higher frame rate, higher max shutter speed, bracketing, HDR, 100% viewfinder, sturdier construction and better DR and high ISO (assuming the 16mp sensor). Seriously, which is the better body, to anyone other than a pure noob counting pixels?
All (probably) true but the K-r replacement is also likely to be more expensive. In body motor isn't really that much of an advantage - it's a necessity in K-mount but less so in F-mount.

Also I think the K-r will be pitched as a higher level body than the 3200 anyway so I'd expect a higher price on the K-r but the 'noob' pixel counters are where the cash is. Plus 24mp is nice to have for non-noobs as well as noobs

The real problem is the 5100 replacement will also presumably be 24mp etc etc
04-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #297
Veteran Member

More expensive, true, but worth more. I forgot about SR. No in-body motor means no legacy lenses and reduced choice of new lenses. SR and in-body motor were certainly important to me when I was shopping for my first DSLR.

Regarding 24mp, newbies and lazy salespeople will agree that 24 beats 16, but many here will scream blue murder if Pentax goes to 24mp with the K-5 replacement, when it means giving up a stop of DR and high ISO performance.
04-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #298
ogl
Banned

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/183023-photo-forum-rus...lr-camera.html
04-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #299
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Run through Google, some of it says:

'Mr Anton Melnikov held a conference on the development plans of PENTAX ... Emphasis was placed on "do not kropnutosti" new lenses'

This kropnutosti sounds pretty fearsome, is it something to do with not putting them in the microwave if they have gotten wet?
04-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
More expensive, true, but worth more. I forgot about SR. No in-body motor means no legacy lenses and reduced choice of new lenses. SR and in-body motor were certainly important to me when I was shopping for my first DSLR.

Regarding 24mp, newbies and lazy salespeople will agree that 24 beats 16, but many here will scream blue murder if Pentax goes to 24mp with the K-5 replacement, when it means giving up a stop of DR and high ISO performance.
My understanding is that the 24mp Sony sensor is pretty good but I agree that if you don't want to downsample, crop a lot, publish professionally (or otherwise print huge) or use the massive resolution for image analysis/science type applications then the 16mp will probably give an overall better result.

Plus there's the SR thing but that's more useful when using legacy lenses - which 3200 owners won't generally be doing. So whilst not a moot point again isn't an automatic win - at least not for those that the camera is actually aimed at.