Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #301
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Run through Google, some of it says:

'Mr Anton Melnikov held a conference on the development plans of PENTAX ... Emphasis was placed on "do not kropnutosti" new lenses'

This kropnutosti sounds pretty fearsome, is it something to do with not putting them in the microwave if they have gotten wet?
Kropnutost - it's one of word (new speak) in Russian which means "APS-C sensor's size", otherwise - CROP.
Krop = Crop. All European languages came from proto-languages of folk which lived at the territory of modern Russia many times ago (middle bank of Don river
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostyonki,_Voronezh_Oblast,
Arkaim - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkaim) - and this languages had the roots in Sanskrit.

Last edited by ogl; 04-19-2012 at 09:18 AM.
04-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #302
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
More expensive, true, but worth more. I forgot about SR.
SR doesn't mean much when your lenses without SR cost as much as lenses with VR.
04-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More expensive, true, but worth more. I forgot about SR. No in-body motor means no legacy lenses and reduced choice of new lenses. SR and in-body motor were certainly important to me when I was shopping for my first DSLR.
Lack of in-body motor is the exact reason I ended up with a K-x instead of a D3000 or D5000. I have never regretted that decision. Lack of metering with non-chipped MF lenses is the other reason I ended up with a Pentax instead of a low-end Nikon.
04-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Lack of in-body motor is the exact reason I ended up with a K-x instead of a D3000 or D5000. I have never regretted that decision. Lack of metering with non-chipped MF lenses is the other reason I ended up with a Pentax instead of a low-end Nikon.
for the average 3000/3100/3200 buyer it won't make a difference since the will use maybe 2 lenses at best and there is a cheap tele zoom to match the cheap kit zoom. but they will think they have the best because they have NIKON

I was already with Pentax so my choice was easy (that and the nikons felt like crap compared to my ds, and the canons were even worse (and I got to use them both a fair bit as i was selling them)

04-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
for the average 3000/3100/3200 buyer it won't make a difference since the will use maybe 2 lenses at best and there is a cheap tele zoom to match the cheap kit zoom. but they will think they have the best because they have NIKON
You forgot the cheap 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 for the ones who have heard how much better PRIME lenses are.
04-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #306
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
SR doesn't mean much when your lenses without SR cost as much as lenses with VR.
It does to me, I have 8 prime lenses that are stabilized on Pentax, not available with VR on Nikon.

I do agree with the point people are making. Most customers who buy a base Nikon are moving up from p&s and will use one or two kit lenses. They know the Nikon name. They know nothing about photography or gear and don't care, they just want faster focus and better ISO performance. But that is not the whole market. Clearly there are people who care about performance and photographically relevant features. Some of those newbies will choose Pentax. That's how some of us who didn't shoot Pentax film cameras got here.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-19-2012 at 10:39 AM.
04-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You forgot the cheap 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 for the ones who have heard how much better PRIME lenses are.
yep, have you ever picked up that 50 BTW. Waht a cheap POS, Iq is ok but damn it's not going to last

04-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does to me, I have 8 prime lenses that are stabilized on Pentax, not available with SR on Nikon.

I do agree with the point people are making. Most customers who buy a base Nikon are moving up from p&s and will use one or two kit lenses. They know the Nikon name. They know nothing about photography or gear and don't care, they just want faster focus and better ISO performance. But that is not the whole market. Clearly there are people who care about performance and photographically relevant features. Some of those newbies will choose Pentax. That's how some of us who didn't shoot Pentax film cameras got here.
It would be very interesting to know how many folks who buy entry-level DSLR kits invest in, say, an additional 2 lenses. It seems to me there is a fairly common thought that people who purchase "entry level" never evolve, or maybe even keep the "entry level" camera but improve their photographic skills beyond "entry level".
04-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It seems to me there is a fairly common thought that people who purchase "entry level" never migrate, or maybe even keep the "entry level" camera but improve their photographic skills beyond "entry level".
The first one, the most number, the second, less, but perhaps they eventually decide to move on to a better body. Well, just guessing
04-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It would be very interesting to know how many folks who buy entry-level DSLR kits invest in, say, an additional 2 lenses. It seems to me there is a fairly common thought that people who purchase "entry level" never evolve, or maybe even keep the "entry level" camera but improve their photographic skills beyond "entry level".
I would bet no more than 10% of entry level buyers never evolve beyond a 2 lens kit and most of them will never get out of green mode - this is just based on anecdotal observations though
Fro a huge number of them the camera will sit in a closet until they need a camera for something special after the initial thrill of ownership wears off - no different than 30 years ago why do you think you can find so many old film bodies in good shape
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #311
Veteran Member

I have the same anecdotes regarding my friends, most of whom have more talent than I but don't want to spend time in that direction.
04-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Like Wayne Gretsky skating to where the puck will be, not where it is, Nikon knows where Pentax wants to go and is trying to get there first.
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I don't think they care much. Probably not worth having more than one meeting about the subject. They know where to direct their time, energy, and development resources.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
yep, have you ever picked up that 50 BTW. Waht a cheap POS, Iq is ok but damn it's not going to last
Pretty hard to pick it up without a store presence.

(Ducking Again!!)
04-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #313
Veteran Member

Oooh! It's a pun! Just the right kind of humour when no real news is available.

Should bring the pun-slingers out of the woodwork!
04-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pretty hard to pick it up without a store presence.

(Ducking Again!!)
He was talking about the Nikon 50/1.8
04-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #315
Inactive Account

wich one? D? G?

my friend got an 50 1.8 G. Very nice lens, great price point, nice IQ.