05-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No way they drop the K-r line.

05-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #422
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Today i picked up a rumor that we will see a new Pentax Camera in june - july. I was told that it would be priced 200 € below the K-5, but still have weather sealing. That sounded to me like a replacement for the long gone K200D. There was also a wage rumor about the K-5 beeing replaed in september. Unfortunatly i have no specs for eather, so your guess is as good as mine.
Hmm, I guess it'd be K30 by end of May (a K5 in Kr body w/ weather sealing and K5's viewfinder, newer and faster AF module), K5 replacement by Sept or later???
05-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, I guess it'd be K30 by end of May (a K5 in Kr body w/ weather sealing and K5's viewfinder, newer and faster AF module), K5 replacement by Sept or later???
This sounds about right to me. With the pricing policy change, it seems like they want to keep the camera at a reasonable price instead of inflating it like they did with the K-5 upon release. The K30 as people call it, will hopefully be for the most part an upgraded K-5 for a nice entry price. We will have to wait and see if they take a few features away as they move it a bit closer toward entry level though. My backup camera is having issues, so I'm looking for a replacement.
05-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #424
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its weird that the DA 50 f1.8 isn't released yet. Any chance that this... upcoming body will have it as an optional kit? (the DA35 2.4 came out as one with K-r in some markets I think)

05-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #425

Off topic, but... Japanese and Chinese use the same system of characters for numbers. Also note that written Chinese is used by more than one Chinese language. The number four is considered unlucky in Japanese and at least Cantonese and Mandarin because the sound of the word is homophonous with the word for death. Such homophones are more common in Chinese languages vs Japanese because they are tonal, whereas Japanese is not. However, the Japanese language and writing system has had strong influences from China, which is why they use the same characters for numbers and why there is some similarity in their words for these numbers.

If I had to guess, I would think mainland China would be less superstitious than Japan and that maybe this would account for the difference in avoidance of the number four.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 4th floor thing is mostly in Japan I believe. The Japanese character for the number 4 is the same as the character for death (Shi), therefore it is considered unlucky.
05-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote

If I had to guess, I would think mainland China would be less superstitious than Japan and that maybe this would account for the difference in avoidance of the number four.
Yes, in China it's not common to see a building without 4th floor (I've never seen one myself, and I grew up there). But Somehow quite some tall buildings don't have 13th floor over there ...
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #427
Veteran Member

The 4th floor thing is mostly in Japan I believe. The Japanese character for the number 4 is the same as the character for death (Shi), therefore it is considered unlucky.
Not the character but how it's said, as Cannikin mentioned. The Japanese usually use the another word for four, "Yon"

05-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #428

Yes, must be mostly in Japan. I know about the similarity with the sound of the number 4 and the word for death in Chinese, but have never seen a building without a 4th floor over in China.
05-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Such homophones are more common in Chinese languages vs Japanese because they are tonal, whereas Japanese is not.
This is so on topic, but last I checked Japanese had two tones. They have rather more strict rules about where they are, so it's reasonably easy to make yourself understood without them, but they're still there.

And now back to your regularly scheduled speculation.
05-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #430

QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote
Yes, must be mostly in Japan. I know about the similarity with the sound of the number 4 and the word for death in Chinese, but have never seen a building without a 4th floor over in China.
Right. I live in China in a 4th floor apartment.
As someone said before it is far more common to see buildings without 13th floor.
05-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #431
Inactive Account

where did this speculation about a 4 come in? surely it will be a k-3 if it goes K-7,5,3,1... otherwise i would have guess it would go k-5,6.. but surely that makes far too much sense

i want some new news... this is getting dull
05-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #432
Veteran Member

It sure is. This whole conversation has rapidly approached pointlessness. Its all speculation. I Guess we wait.
05-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
where did this speculation about a 4 come in? surely it will be a k-3 if it goes K-7,5,3,1... otherwise i would have guess it would go k-5,6.. but surely that makes far too much sense

i want some new news... this is getting dull
speculation is from the russian reps via a russian forum (and this has been speculated many times since january)

entry level apsc - K-01 in a dslr body
WR apsc KR level - likely the camera we will see at the end of this month if rumours are true
K5 replacement - 24mp
FF - loads of rumours but a 24mp sensor model is a pretty good bet
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #434
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
It would be nice if they put the K-5 viewfinder in a weather sealed body kind of like a K200d. However, they seem to like the penta-mirror in that class. That is one of my few complaints with the K200d was the penta-mirror.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
speculation is from the russian reps via a russian forum (and this has been speculated many times since january)

entry level apsc - K-01 in a dslr body
WR apsc KR level - likely the camera we will see at the end of this month if rumours are true
K5 replacement - 24mp
FF - loads of rumours but a 24mp sensor model is a pretty good bet
That is what it sounds like to me. However, if they use the 16mp sensor in both the entry and mid-level dSLR what will be the distinguishing feature besides WR? Drop the Pentamirror in the mid-level? 2 wheels?
05-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #435
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
if they use the 16mp sensor in both the entry and mid-level dSLR what will be the distinguishing feature besides WR? Drop the Pentamirror in the mid-level? 2 wheels?
Why not the same as they did in the past?

K-m had similar features to the K-r, penta-mirror, one wheel
K-200D same controls and OVF as K-m, larger body, WR
K20D and K-7 had similar feature set to K-5