Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am thinking that by playing between 12bit and 14bit RAW files Pentax can differentiate these cameras in terms of things such as DxOMark rating etc. Anyway, new cameras are good and usually new camera of lower market segment is almost as good as yestergeneration flagship...

05-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #527
Veteran Member

TAv is a necessity, and the reason why I have two k-5's after originally having a k-5 and a k-r. I barely ever use the top screen... I don't shoot on a tripod all that regularly.
05-16-2012, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
TAv is a necessity, and the reason why I have two k-5's after originally having a k-5 and a k-r. I barely ever use the top screen... I don't shoot on a tripod all that regularly.
I agree Tav is a killer feature - if my damn mf lenses were not crippled it would be even better
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #529
Veteran Member

Finally a true leak that we can actually beleave. It does appear that the person who leaked the K30 rumor a few months ago was actually correct. The K-30 does look to be a real good mid-level dslr. With the name K30 and the features it has it makes me think it is a mid-level camera. So we might see a K300 later this year. Maybe the leak of the mult-color dslr is the K300. Then a 3 announcement at Photokina. For a three tier dslr lineup, which whould be a very good thing. A rumor mentioned 4 dslr to be released by March. So could the four one be a full frame model. Maybe we will get two full frame models. A LX-30 for the low-end FF market and the LX-3 for the high-end market.

For the K30 it does seem like it lakes with top lcd with the mode dial on the right side. It does appear to have two dials which is a very good thing. Hopefully it will take the K-5/7 battery. The camera does appear to be ever so slightly smaller. If the Pentax R&D president is right the camera will have a 100% view. I would guess it will be a pentamirror to keep the cost down. The 4 frame/sec seems a little low, but I will guess it is another cost saving thing and might be an indication that the memory and processing power is not high-end. Still looks to be have the potential to be a real good seller, unlike the K-01 and the Q before.

With all the stuff this camera appears to have it makes one wonder what the K3 (K-5 replacement and high-end APS-C) camera will have.

Dave

05-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #530

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
A LX-30 for the low-end FF market and the LX-3 for the high-end market.
that would be awsome !!!
05-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #531
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I consider TAv or "M with auto ISO" a necessity for any DSLR I buy in the future. Either one works, but a camera with neither is no-go for me.

I love AA capability, I consider that a plus feature.
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I agree Tav is a killer feature - if my damn mf lenses were not crippled it would be even better
I suspect the implementation question is whether TAv is a separate Mode as in the K-5 or a 4-way controller option (auto ISO) in M mode as in the K-01, not whether it is there at all.
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #532
Pentaxian

Top screen is a nice-to-have, but not a necessity for me. If the body is smaller without it, I'll give up the top LCD. The LCD on my K100DS was annoying and only semi-useful, because it wasn't illuminated.
I guess it's not a NECESSSITY for me either, but I bet I'd have a pretty hard time learning to live without it.

Heck, after more than a year I'm still coping awkwardly with the green button relocation from my old K20d to my current K-5!

05-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #533
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Heck, after more than a year I'm still coping awkwardly with the green button relocation from my old K20d to my current K-5!
I can relate. I will never get used to the button placement on my K-x. Three years later I still have to study the back of the camera to find the button I want. I have no need to look to control the K20D. Everything is where it should be.
05-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #534
Veteran Member

I have two K-5 cameras but if the K30 has a hydbrid viewfinder with peak focusing and takes the K-5 battery I will get it. Otherwise I will wait for the K-3.

Dave
05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #535
Veteran Member

I can relate. I will never get used to the button placement on my K-x. Three years later I still have to study the back of the camera to find the button I want. I have no need to look to control the K20D. Everything is where it should be.
i struggled when i went from the K10 to the K7, now i struggle when i do the reverse. I had less trouble from the ds to the K10 (now when i pick up the ds i have to look for what little it has )
05-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #536
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i struggled when i went from the K10 to the K7, now i struggle when i do the reverse. I had less trouble from the ds to the K10 (now when i pick up the ds i have to look for what little it has )
I went from K100DS to K20D and the buttons were the same, just more of them. Anything that isn't like that is wrong for me. I don't understand why they change them around. What possible reason could there be to do this to the 4-way controller?

05-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #537
Veteran Member

I went from K100DS to K20D and the buttons were the same, just more of them. Anything that isn't like that is wrong for me. I don't understand why they change them around. What possible reason could there be to do this to the 4-way controller?
n kidding WTF were they thinking. there can be no reasonable arguement for that (at least they kept the controller though )
05-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #538
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect the implementation question is whether TAv is a separate Mode as in the K-5 or a 4-way controller option (auto ISO) in M mode as in the K-01, not whether it is there at all.
Absolutely, and for the record Manual with Auto ISO (and two dials) is equivalent-enough for me. The only (minor) problem is then going back and forth between auto iso and manual iso rather than changing on the top dial. Not a dealbreaker for me by any means.
05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FINALLY! If this holds up, I can replace my K20D as a backup to my K-5.
05-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #540
Forum Member

Amazon.co.uk: pentax k30

the links are not working though.