Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There aren't as many but they have more right to be "culturally" offended, don't you think?
Somehow I really don't like that concept at all.

03-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #137
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good point ... bien noté

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's where I think the focus here has been wrong. I'm actually more concerned about offending people in ISRAEL than in Germany on this issue. There aren't as many but they have more right to be "culturally" offended, don't you think?
A very good point ... maybe KZ offends more than possibly 100 million Germans ... there's the Jewish community as well ... plus several nationalities of many European nations that had their citizens deported as well (like my former neighbor) ... gee, the scope here is getting bigger and bigger AND BIGGER. Get my point?

KZ, or whatever variant thereof, as a product name risks being a cultural insult, thus it's stupid, dumb, idiotic, etc. ... and should be avoided, PERIOD.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
03-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #138
Pentaxian

The Top Ten Cultural Branding Failures |
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #139
Site Supporter

Just a short note again, if I may. I just got another hint from somebody very close to Pentax Germany who confirmed that Pentax will not name a camera "k-z" in Germany. That has been taboo for years since there has once already been the plan to do so (out of ignorance) and shortly after the plan was skipped. Pentax won't violate this taboo since they are very well aware of it.

03-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Just a short note again, if I may. I just got another hint from somebody very close to Pentax Germany who confirmed that Pentax will not name a camera "k-z" in Germany. That has been taboo for years since there has once already been the plan to do so (out of ignorance) and shortly after the plan was skipped. Pentax won't violate this taboo since they are very well aware of it.
Excellent. Ladies and gentlemen, we can discuss something else
03-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What is striking to me is that we blithely purchase Japanese cameras and cars, but we so openly vilify the Germans. Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Do we really vilify the Germans, or do we just nonchalantly call people with whom we disagree 'Nazis'?

Look, for instance, at how many items in this world profusely proclaim that they had the benefit of being engineered by Germans.
03-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My apologies for my strong opinion. Gues, I'm just oversensitive when it comes to people being oversensitive.
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #143
Site Supporter

Exactly on point ...

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Like the Pentax "Q" for the Francophone community, did anyone at Pentax HQ ever think, "Hey, I've got operations around that world and resources to avoid an inappropriate future product name" ... "Let's see, oh Pentax France, what do you think about having "Q" (ass) as a product name for a new small camera?!" ... (and one year later) ... "Let's see again, hey Pentax Europe, you guys located in Germany, what do think about a new product name like K-z ?" ...

Or even worse, at Pentax HQ ... "Let's send out a general email to all of our subsidiaries and ask them what product name should be avoided in their geographical region and culture."

Damn, that would be just too hard to do!

03-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I think most of those have been debunked.
03-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Agreed John, although I admit I always pronounced the Q 'cue' but that's probably me being used to English and most French allergic to English
03-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #146
Site Supporter

Agreed

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Excellent. Ladies and gentlemen, we can discuss something else
Bonsoir,

100% d'accord ...

Allez et bonne nuit, John ... the sometimes very irritable French Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.
03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #147
Site Supporter

My apologies, too, to any and all ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
My apologies for my strong opinion. Gues, I'm just oversensitive when it comes to people being oversensitive.
My apologies, too, for my strong opinions ... and I am oversensitive, too. J
03-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #148
Site Supporter

A virus is "bad" isn't it ?!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
... I just wonder, who made this blurred page with K-z. If this was a Pentax viral game, then they should thank all of us to stop it in time.
Agreed ... and when I went to grad school, "viral marketing" didn't exist ... and when I first heard this term, I thought, "That's not a good term ... a virus is generally a bad thing."

Case in point here, with this really stupid idea to have "k-z" as a product name ... I promise to now get off my soapbox!

Allez et bonne nuit encore ...
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #149
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the end.. if it is called the K-z, it'll be called something else in Europe.. problem solved!

As previously noted with that link on product failures, the Mitsubishi Pajero (which is named after a cat species of all things), for example, is an offensive slang word for masturbation in Spanish... as such, it's called the Mitsubishi Montero in Spain.

In other words, unsurprisingly, the precedence has been set for products to be given a name that can be offensive to people on the other side of the world for whatever reason, and companies know how to deal with it. So we don't have to needlessly get into a stink about Pentax apparently being stupid or whatever.

Instead, we should be speculating about the camera's specs itself... not it's name. The name has no bearing on the capabilities of a brand new Pentax body!
03-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Like the Pentax "Q" for the Francophone community,
Q = Queen (as in: K = King), They could have changed it for francophone countries but come on! An innuendo is a pretty flimsy excuse to change a name.