Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
love to hate

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
!!! Too true.

But now we can lavish our hate upon you for hating our hate...
Some people love to complain. I personally don't mind KZ, I have no memories or attachments to WWII history, and neither does anyone I know who would own a DSLR. I wonder what would happen, though, if the KZ turns out to be a lot like the K-01 except with a mirror and viewfinder? How can they differentiate this enough to not kill sales of the K-01 anyway? I wonder how many would choose a K-01 if it had a mirror and viewfinder vs. the mirrorless version (assuming the same specs)???

Just wondering out loud. Any comments appreciated, except the hate.....

03-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Some people love to complain. I personally don't mind KZ, I have no memories or attachments to WWII history, and neither does anyone I know who would own a DSLR. I wonder what would happen, though, if the KZ turns out to be a lot like the K-01 except with a mirror and viewfinder? How can they differentiate this enough to not kill sales of the K-01 anyway? I wonder how many would choose a K-01 if it had a mirror and viewfinder vs. the mirrorless version (assuming the same specs)???

Just wondering out loud. Any comments appreciated, except the hate.....
$749 versus $1099 or $1199 will differentiate them. Also, the end-run K-5 will go back to $1,299 April 1, according to Adam, reportedly for the duration of the run.

I absolutely love my K-01. Kinda weird, I know, but this is really a fun camera.
03-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
To note how different things are in different countries KZ has a positive connotation in New Zealand as it is the prefix used on New Zealands America's Cup Yachts:
Eg KZ7 (its the nickname for my K7 even )
That's for sure and no problem at all, obviously.
When I spent 5 month in San Francisco I came to visit a buddhist temple. There were swastikas everywhere (since it's an old religious sign for them).
In Germany you violate law and get penalized if you relate to symbols like that (again, for obvious reasons). This shows that context matters (surprise, surprise).
03-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #169

Every channel, informant etc. in germany we contacted denied that the successor will be called K-z.
It has also been denied on the Germany Pentax Facebook-Page, so it might be clear that we were either trolled or just misunderstanding the picture.

03-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
$749 versus $1099 or $1199 will differentiate them. Also, the end-run K-5 will go back to $1,299 April 1, according to Adam, reportedly for the duration of the run. I absolutely love my K-01. Kinda weird, I know, but this is really a fun camera.
Thinking about it, what, then, should the K-r replacement have to make it one step above the K--01, to justify the price difference aside from a VF and Phase Detect AF?
I could see the case with the Q given its very small sensor and totally different mount, but how about the K-01?

If the K-r replacement will have a top LCD and/or is weathersealed also, (like the K###D series) I think that would be good enough reason...
03-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honest question gets honest answer

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
... Does this card look different in France? (honest question)

Bonjour,

Yes, it does ...

R = roi = king

D = dame = queen

V = valet = jack

Just a quick image (cut & paste) from the web ... I'll see if we have any French playing cards in the house.

"Q" was a product name error for the Francophone world and avoidable.

"K-z" would be 100x worse ... not just in France, but across Europe and beyond. Avoid this problematic future product name like the pest, period.

Salut, J le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-23-2012 at 04:31 AM.
03-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #172
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A couple days ago I asked my usual retailer to 'me passer son petit Q qui en vitrine' which translated directly would be mean something like 'get you little a$$ which is in behind the front showcase'. (not sure showcase is the good word).
Of course I know my retailer enough so I can tell him that.

And btw, I was still stunned by the size of the Q (funny as well translated directly to french).
03-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Every channel, informant etc. in germany we contacted denied that the successor will be called K-z.
It has also been denied on the Germany Pentax Facebook-Page, so it might be clear that we were either trolled or just misunderstanding the picture.
Or, as has been said many times, it will have a different name in Europe.

03-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The net is never wrong ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Hmmm...graduate marketing textbooks say it was a problem vs. internet site? Hmmmm...which will I believe?
Textbooks, schmeckbooks ... the web is always your best source for information.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-23-2012 at 06:06 AM.
03-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great news ... and no trolls or bad eyesight

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Bonjour,

Thanks for your post, but for the record, I first saw this on the PF home page - see Pentax K-z - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com - which read (quote):

"Based on a new leaked image, it looks like the successor to the Pentax K-r will be called the "K-z".

While this remains a rumor, it seems quite credible at this point, and we expect to learn more about this upcoming camera in the coming days.

Pentax is already being criticized for this name choice, as "KZ" is a known abbreviation for the German word for "concentration camp".

Let's hope that the name ends up changing, or that we've misinterpreted the blurred image!

More Pentax news at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-z.html#ixzz1pwRviEyT "
(end quote)

A troll = NO ... A misinterpreted image = NO ... another marketing SNAFU = YES.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-23-2012 at 06:07 AM.
03-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #176
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, regardless of what it is called I'd like to see some specs. In the meantime I'm seeing a bit of bad feeling in here, so why don't we forget the name (or rumored name) for now and start guessing what it is going to be spec wise? Will it be better in low light? Will it have more mp? Flip out LCD? Will it take AA batteries? Any GPS capabilities for geotagging? Will it get a new kit lens, one that isn't 18-55? Better autofocus? Better flash sync?
03-23-2012, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #177
Veteran Member

So out of the running are this list..... any more?

K-9 = camera is a Dog

K-y = personal lubricant, hard to grip

K-z = German concentration camp

K-KK = racist organisation

K-Q = french bottom

K-O = knocked out

K-MR2 = em er deux = merde

K-Pajero = spanish for too much camera shake

K-Fitta = swedish err.... (actually sales might improve?)

K-Fed = fat talentless American

K-Kardashian = fat talentless Armenian

K-Jong IL = dead Korean dictator

K-G = kilogram (too heavy)

K-hole = Ketamine drug "trip"

K-v = kilovolt (shockingly lethal)

K-b = Kilobyte (buffer to small)

OT: A couple of years ago I was working on a project in the Philppines with some other engineers from Sweden.

In the local supermarket we found these cream filled savoury biscuits.

"FITTA" Spreadz. The green packet is Tuna paste flavoured.

I tried some, eating them in a somewhat "suggestive" manner, licking the cream filling off them.. they were OK, but understandably the Swedes weren't so keen to try them.
03-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #178
Inactive Account

So, all we need for a credible rumor are some blurry images and spelling errors? Good to know....
03-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #179
Pentaxian

K-G = Kriegsgefangener = Prisoner of war in German .
03-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #180
Veteran Member

K-GB: your soviet lenses disappear in the middle of the night