3. Canon 5D III
4. Canon 5D II
5. Canon 7D
6. Canon 60D
7. Canon 50D
8. Rebel T3i
9. Rebel T2i
10. Rebel T3

...is the current lineup of just DSLR's (no mirrorless) from Canon right now.

...and Ricoh just seems to hate Canon, and seems to want to deny them an existence.
Exactly, a 4 body dslr line really doesn't even mean cannibalization like this list does. new silly colour choice level kr as an entry (essentially a K-01 with VF and PDAF and huge colour choice, K5N as described at say 1099, K3 at 1499 initial PRICE, k1 AT $2200
KR will probably be 799-849 K-01 will drop to $649-699

heck there's room for the current K5 to stay at 949 and K5n @ 1199
plant capacity will be the biggest struggle i think

Certainly if you are a B&M guy who carried Pentax previously looking at the line changes and from what I hear dealing with a much more open to working with dealer environment means the next 2 years should see some big change in how the brand is perceived

we may have to change this thread title for 2014
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-rare.html

maybe to Remember when we were rare

03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Be of good cheer Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
Stop it with all the enthusiasm and optimism! Why can't you be a naysayer or a ship-jumper like everyone else!?

03-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #198
Veteran Member

As long as Pentax can fix the shitty wide-aperture/low-light AF and QC issues, I'm very optimistic indeed.
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well K-5n with new processor and screen and videofutures. Anything else?

K-3/K-1 with more new electronics like metering, AWB, AF would be great.

Maybe even APS-H or large 4/3th or square!

03-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Exactly, a 4 body dslr line really doesn't even mean cannibalization like this list does. new silly colour choice level kr as an entry (essentially a K-01 with VF and PDAF and huge colour choice, K5N as described at say 1099, K3 at 1499 initial PRICE, k1 AT $2200
KR will probably be 799-849 K-01 will drop to $649-699

heck there's room for the current K5 to stay at 949 and K5n @ 1199
plant capacity will be the biggest struggle i think
There is no K-r replacement. The MILC Line (K-01) replaces entry level. K-5 12/2012 / K-5n is the entry dSLR and it stays full-spec.. Ricoh fills the K-r space.

Everything else competes at a higher level. Ricoh is serious, aggressive and commited.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2012 at 09:46 AM.
03-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Stop it with all the enthusiasm and optimism! Why can't you be a naysayer or a ship-jumper like everyone else!?

It's really just a feeling. I know nothing. But I've learned over the last 40 years - when I have this kind of intuition I'm very often very close to right.
03-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #202
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There is no K-r replacement. The MILC Line (K-01) replaces entry level. K-5 12/2012 / K-5n is the entry dSLR. Ricoh fills that space.

Everything else competes at a higher level. Ricoh is serious, aggressive and commited.
you could be correct, but given the top part of the market for Volume is the entry level a Kr replacement makes some serious sense (and i can't see a K5N being a multi color option model since that idea doesn't fit with the WR idea i don't think
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #203

K-Z

Sell the camera in green Bundled up with the Kawasaki ninja series of motorcycles, I am sure there will be just a few pictures taken with this camera of their new ride!

03-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #204
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
my dealer has the Vetrauens blabs yesterday evening.
Sounds serious. Maybe he should see a doctor.
03-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter

you could be correct, but given the top part of the market for Volume is the entry level a Kr replacement makes some serious sense (and i can't see a K5N being a multi color option model since that idea doesn't fit with the WR idea i don't think
You're most likely correct but
  1. I don't beleive the viral colors garbage - it doesn't feel right and there hasn't been a follow-on hint.
  2. K-r replacement (and many other differentiators and segment competitors) can easily be a Ricoh-branded camera. Ricoh becomes the entry "brand" and migration is to the upscale Pentax "brand." Ricoh brand could even introduce less robust materials to better cost-compete against Canon without reducing the "quality" aspect of a Pentax.
    1. Toyota / Lexus
    2. Nissan / Infinity
    3. Honda / Acura
  3. That would certainly be different - leveraging Ricoh distribution channel, volume-bracketing across both brands, co-marketing and advertising
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter

the multi colour thing is really for the big japanese market. the rest of us will get 4 colour options i would bet. I think it would be a virtual no cost move though fro them to setup an order process in other districts for people willing to wait and pay MSRP for a custom version of their own.
I doubt they will do dual brand strategy in SLR, but think they will continue to have unique niche product like the GXR in the Ricoh line that complement the Pentax line and can be sold through the same channels

the Product selection is just the needed first step though. the really hard part is the marketing and distribution network building. Hoya screwed over a lot of small dealers and it will take some good sales people to get them back on board. Service will have to improve dramatically. Fortunately Ricoh seems to be very good at B2B relationship building (after all they need to sell to dealers to sell to consumers)
03-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter

the multi colour thing is really for the big japanese market. the rest of us will get 4 colour options i would bet. I think it would be a virtual no cost move though fro them to setup an order process in other districts for people willing to wait and pay MSRP for a custom version of their own.
I doubt they will do dual brand strategy in SLR, but think they will continue to have unique niche product like the GXR in the Ricoh line that complement the Pentax line and can be sold through the same channels

the Product selection is just the needed first step though. the really hard part is the marketing and distribution network building. Hoya screwed over a lot of small dealers and it will take some good sales people to get them back on board. Service will have to improve dramatically. Fortunately Ricoh seems to be very good at B2B relationship building (after all they need to sell to dealers to sell to consumers)
Perhaps the K-r replacement is an EVF mirrorless built on K-01 internals. I think XS is a very broad hint. K-r discontinued, 100% VF's for all DSLR's, small, WS / WG-2 are all the basis for an emerging. Rand identity. Ricoh isn't so clear except they have salesmen and didn't destroy their relationships.
03-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Bah!! All these speculations make it hard to decide to upgrade my K-7 now or wait. If the K-5n had the same body but with a swivel lcd, focus peeking, and K01 movie modes I'd buy it over the K5 any day. Yarg!

Still, if the K-5 really is going back to $1200 April 1st, I can't imagine the 5n wouldn't sell for at least $1300 starting.

I have a feeling the night of March 31st will be a rough one...
03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #209
Pentaxian

lol, when they said 100% viewfinder.. I hope they meant OVF and not just live-view.
03-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Bah!! All these speculations make it hard to decide to upgrade my K-7 now or wait. If the K-5n had the same body but with a swivel lcd, focus peeking, and K01 movie modes I'd buy it over the K5 any day. Yarg!

Still, if the K-5 really is going back to $1200 April 1st, I can't imagine the 5n wouldn't sell for at least $1300 starting.

I have a feeling the night of March 31st will be a rough one...
For me, too - and I just got a K-01

I'd trust Adam's opinion on the pricing strategy for the K-5. Unfortunately for me I just got my taxes back from the CPA and the money is going the wrong direction.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
lol, when they said 100% viewfinder.. I hope they meant OVF and not just live-view.
Well that was a curious statement. The K-r had, what a .85x pentamirror w/ 95% coverage (or was it the other way)? How do they price a 100% OVF prism OR mirrored in an entry level camera?.

If it is, I hope everyone who said they would buy the K-01 if it had a VF ponies up day 1 - if they do Pentax crashes B&H, Adorama and Amazon's servers with the pre-order flow.