Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If so, great, but wasn't that guy the chief engineer speaking not from actual information but from what he would do if he were making the decisions? I thought he expressly said that as a preface to the interview. At any rate, the link is somewhere on the Forum - maybe we can dig it up.
Yes, we can: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/168982-translation-kit...interview.html

03-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Also a lot of people bought the k-r/k-x because they excelled at high iso. The k-5 beats the dr and iq of the k-r by a huge margin and has the cleanest high iso shots of any aps sensor. Seems like a perfect replacement to me. Here's the real question in my mind...will pentax stay with the sony sensors and go to the 24mp sensor in the nex? From what I've seen of the raw output I think it would be a downgrade in iq at higher isos. It might resolve more, but if that gets destroyed at 1600 iso what is the use? Compare the dpreview gallery sometime between the nex 7 and the k5 and k7. It has noise levels approaching the k7 at 1600 imo. With the k5 under 1000 I think its going to be a tough sell for this at the likely 700 or so they will want for it. If they made it 600 it wouldn't be so bad.
03-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-z or Fat Man ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The Germans will not be happy.
If the whole story of K-z is real, then it shows total lack of communication between HQ in Japan and Pentax Europe. Germany is ca 80 million inh.country (plus Austria and Switzerland). And that is already reason to think a little bit.

I guess, that Japanese would be at least surprised, if the new camera name would be Little Boy or Fat Man (names of Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs). Although Fat Man would fit K01 quite well.

Anyway, such association doesn't show professionalism. Another reason to change marketing people.
03-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Europe makes up a significant part of the Pentax market, hopefully the camera will be marketed differently in Europe if the decision is KZ. I believe the Km was marketed differently in Europe from North America. Could be wrong on this though. A bit disappointing that this new camera is being promoted for its colour variations rather than for its features at this point. Hopefully the features will place the camera in a competitive position in the market. I would like to see weather sealing as a standard on this level of camera. Add to that the features of the K01, plus live video hdmi output the camera could be a real hit.
Yup, I have a K2000 rather than a K-m. It could be made available to the discerning purchaser .... Would help fund a K-5, methinks.

03-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
If the whole story of K-z is real, then it shows total lack of communication between HQ in Japan and Pentax Europe. Germany is ca 80 million inh.country (plus Austria and Switzerland). And that is already reason to think a little bit.

I guess, that Japanese would be at least surprised, if the new camera name would be Little Boy or Fat Man (names of Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs). Although Fat Man would fit K01 quite well.

Anyway, such association doesn't show professionalism. Another reason to change marketing people.
I'm all for changing the Pentax marketing people, however, we just don't know that it will be sold under that label in Germany (or anywhere) yet. They could, as has been suggested and has occurred in the past call it the M-z in Germany (or Europe) and K-z elsewhere.
03-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Slippery subject ...

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
We all know that the K-5 replacement is going to be the K-9, silly...
Nope ... " K-Y " (old joke)
03-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Its disappointing to see the camera touted for color combos, but I guess it stirs interest without letting the cat out of the bag for now.
Hopefully, it means the color combinations will be avaliable outside of Japan.

I find it hard to see how its much better than a K-01 though if its going to be the same K5 16mp sensor.
Yeah, there is the mirror; PDAF; styling, but these are just not big step ups to me.
So hopefully, new sensor (even the 24mp abomination on the NEX7) and some incorporated high-end K5 features to distance it from K-01.

03-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This isn't the K-5 replacement.
  • Penta-mirror, not mirror-prism; Probably not 100%, but K-01 fcus peaking LiveView
    • K-3 will be 100% mirror-prism 1:1 magnification, or close and improved LiveView with colors
  • 16.3 Mp CMOS sensor same as K-01, plus PRIME-M imaging engine
    • K-3 will have the new sensor (24Mp?) and maybe an improved PRIME-M; maybe improved PDAF autofocus
  • Same K-01 video output (limitations)
    • K-3 maybe HDMI monitor output
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
That Impress Japan magazine interview that came out a few months ago had the guy stating that all DSLRs moving forward would have 100% viewfinders.
I stand corrected, if they implement this vision. Editing prior post.
"Moving forward at Pentax, we want to make even our entry-level SLR models offer full coverage. Without fail. ----"
03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If DSLR viewfinders ever get as good as the ones on my Pentax MX and Pentax ME then I will be delighted. I have a sneaking admiration for a camera that still works if the batteries fail, which is why I still have my MX and my Leica M3, with a few rolls of film in the fridge.....

(currently alternating my K-5 between manual and AV.....works for me......)
03-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #40

K-k Ok ok, K-z sounds like Kazakhstan (Kz), that's the only thing goes in my head when i see this name
03-21-2012, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

To drive a nail in the coffin, should totally keep it named K-z in Germany, and show it off with a colour scheme consisting of red, black, and white.
03-21-2012, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
.... show it off with a colour scheme consisting of red, black, and white.
Red body, white lens, one central 'special' cross-type focus point.
Or we could ask Borat to make some ads about best camera to make country proud.
03-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HA!
In spanish KZ sounds something like "Kah set-ahh" which sounds just like "CASETA", which means camping tent. It should be popular among us Boy Scouts
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting.
Still jumping at shadows here, but possibly better viewfinder (as per above), same sensor as K-01, and simplified weather-sealing.
Possibly the same concept of the K200d to the K20d.
03-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #45
Veteran Member

How is it that PentaxForums (yes, this site) is last to post any information about new pentax products?