Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL! Erm... I mean: Shame! Shame!

Seriously, does Porsche sell the 911 in America under a different name?!? That would be extremely silly.
Well, we do pronounce Porsche different from over in Europe.

03-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well, we do pronounce Porsche different from over in Europe.
SOME of us do so but not all of us. Also, the 911 predates the event.
03-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #123
Pentaxian

thibs: Aren't you getting too personal, here?
"Pentax K-z" doesn't equal "11th september". There are good reasons to believe an US car name literally "11th september" or a camera called "Konzentrationslager fur Zivilpersonen" is intentional, while K-z a coincidence (maybe some Japanese manager though it sounds like "kaze" and that's nice - without realizing that in a certain country it could make people remember terrible events from the past).
Should Porsche rename its 911, because some Americans are feeling bad about it? Well, they didn't; they made in fact a new 911 - happy bashing (you're also inviting to insult anyone who won't agree that a Porsche 911 doesn't have anything, but anything to do with terrorist attacks).

And if indeed we'll find out the new Pentax DSLR is not called "K-z", all this bashing and the insults will be for nothing. Let's keep our cool for what might be a non-issue.

P.S. Quicksand was quicker
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Half-brainners ...

... Anybody with half a brain can separate the car from that terrible event.
"Yes" ... because the specific car has existed since the early sixties and long before that terrible event which happened on one horrific day over ten years ago ...

"No" ... because that other horrible event happened in the forties and lasted for several years in a very formalized manner ...

Today, it would be easy for Pentax to avoid (another) embrassing and/or inappropriate future product name ...

03-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There are good reasons to believe an US car name literally "11th september" or a camera called "Konzentrationslager fur Zivilpersonen" is intentional, while K-z a coincidence (maybe some Japanese manager though it sounds like "kaze" and that's nice - without realizing that in a certain country it could make people remember terrible events from the past).
Of course it's not intentional, but so wasn't Honda Fitta either, but fortunately they discovered that it means "the c*nt" in Norwegian and Swedish before trying to market it in Scandinavia
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #126
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Of course, there's a German car company that already does.
Yes, it's a big shame that Porsche named this car 911 in 1968. They should know, what happens 33 years later...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Classic911.jpg/220px-Classic911.jpg

I just wonder, who made this blurred page with K-z. If this was a Pentax viral game, then they should thank all of us to stop it in time.
03-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Of course it's not intentional, but so wasn't Honda Fitta either, but fortunately they discovered that it means "the c*nt" in Norwegian and Swedish before trying to market it in Scandinavia
We had the same case with Toyota MR2 here in France. In French "MR2" has almost the same pronunciation as "merde" which means sh*t. The car was therefore named MR in France .

03-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
"Yes" ... because the specific car has existed since the early sixties and long before that terrible event which happened on one horrific day over ten years ago ...
...The car was re-introduced again AFTER that event... They could have chosen a different name for that new issue, but didn't. Because the car has 0 to do with that horrific event.

Today, it would be easy for Pentax to avoid (another) embrassing and/or inappropriate future product name ...
It's not a embarrassing and/or inappropriate name, because it has 0 to do with the camps in WWII.
03-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Well, the K-01 was not renamed for the Romanian market... as if I'd care. I'm perfectly able to make the difference between a camera and... erm... gentlemen's parts.
03-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #130
Forum Member

...It's not a embarrassing and/or inappropriate name, because it has 0 to do with the camps in WWII.
Clavius, I fully respect your opinion. But you are only one person. German speaking countries have almost 100 million people, it's almost 1/3 of the USA population.
We can discuss forever how much is K-z good or bad. But only a marketing idiot chooses such name voluntarily.
03-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #131
Pentaxian

No brainner ... or maybe no brain

...The car was re-introduced again AFTER that event... They could have chosen a different name for that new issue, but didn't. Because the car has 0 to do with that horrific event.
Get real ... you would abandon the trademark name of "911" that previously existed ?! ... 0 logic here.

Of course, anyone can seperate the car from the terrorist attack ... but one can easily avoid any future controversy. "KZ" or "K-Z" in Germany would be obscene, period.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-23-2012 at 04:40 AM.
03-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A little reminder to some. There's a company (now almost forgotten) in computer industry named VIA.
Years ago, VIA added its own chipset for AMD Athlon CPUs which was the first to support 133 SDRAM.
Named chosen was KZ133. Fuss in the forum later, it was renamed KX133.

I didn't know about the acronym at that time. But I understand the motives behind German people reactions.
I also understand why some might find that unimportant. But not respecting those german reactions is IMO stupidity not even counting the 'a**hole' name calling.

It is true that some day, we'll have to let things ago somewhat. But in these very days, this more important than ever. Being in the US or in the Europe, people really forget what happened. Tolerance is less and less part of our lives. And this stinks badly.
Huh - never knew about the LZ133. VIA Systems' offices (were until last year) three floors below mine in our building.
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #133
Pentaxian

You're right ... and wrong, too

... It's not a embarrassing and/or inappropriate name, because it has 0 to do with the camps in WWII.
Yes, it is a camera and has 0 to do with the historical "KZ"s ... but, it's just plain stupid from a marketing standpoint ... and culturally insensitive ... and that's where I would submit that you are wrong.
03-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Yes, it has 0 to do with the historical "KZ"s ... it's just plain stupid from a marketing standpoint ... and culturally insensitive ... and that's where I would submit that you are wrong.
That's where I think the focus here has been wrong. I'm actually more concerned about offending people in ISRAEL than in Germany on this issue. There aren't as many but they have more right to be "culturally" offended, don't you think?
03-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't think anyone is claiming that Pentax wants to say anything bad with its model name, but fact is that a name of a product has a huge influence on whether people will buy it or not. There are plenty of examples of this happening, particularly in the car industry
Like what? Admittedly, my memory seems to be getting poorer, but I can't recall an instance in the car industry of this occurring.