Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good enough sometimes ... to start big trouble

QuoteOriginally posted by Nasus Quote
So, all we need for a credible rumor are some blurry images and spelling errors? Good to know....
Ask Adam that question ... he posted it on the main home page.

Plus some of the other images were not blurry at all ... see Pentax K-z? | Photo Rumors, which Adam used to start this thread (see post #1 - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/179741-pentax-k-z.html)

All of this is really a shame ... so avoidable if K-z is (or was) the true new product name.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-23-2012 at 07:22 AM.
03-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
K-GB: your soviet lenses disappear in the middle of the night
You don't take picture, picture take you.
03-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #183
Forum Member

New rumour on German DSLR-site

Spekutatius ... au

Here it is stated that a dealer has made a slip of the tongue and said that there would be a K-5n soon (May 2012) with a tilting monitor as main improvement - then there is supposed to be a K-3 (summer 2012) as a follow-up to the K-5 with undisclosed improvements AND a K-1 at photokina rumoured as NOT to have an APS-C sensor!

According to the source printed material for the first two is already being distributed.

Perhaps somebody here has a contact who can confirm or deny this rumour - anyway, it's not April 1 today...

Angus
03-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
Spekutatius ... au

Here it is stated that a dealer has made a slip of the tongue and said that there would be a K-5n soon (May 2012) with a tilting monitor as main improvement - then there is supposed to be a K-3 (summer 2012) as a follow-up to the K-5 with undisclosed improvements AND a K-1 at photokina rumoured as NOT to have an APS-C sensor!

According to the source printed material for the first two is already being distributed.

Perhaps somebody here has a contact who can confirm or deny this rumour - anyway, it's not April 1 today...

Angus

OK. Now we can complain about how the QA at Pentax will be overcome by all these new products.

03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Spekutatius ... au

Angus
Sounds reasonable to me. Not sure about the "K-5n" name... I could see that being the K-r replacement instead, though (K-5 sensor in a K-r-esque body with a tilting LCD).

FF in the fall is really gaining some traction, eh?
03-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Spekutatius ... au

Angus
Doesn't sound resonable to me. There is no way Pentax would release a K-5n in May, and then a replacement for the K-5 just a couple of months later. I could understand it if the replacement K-3 was to be a new top-end camera (and so not a replacement, with the K-5n holding the middle range), but the rumored K-1 makes that unlikely.
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I could understand it if the replacement K-3 was to be a new top-end camera (and so not a replacement, with the K-5n holding the middle range), but the rumored K-1 makes that unlikely.
Maybe they are both different segments.
K-3: new flagship APS-C body
K-1: new flagship FF body

03-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Spekutatius ... au

Angus
Machine Translation of the original in German:

With Hi-Forianer,

I'm not a geek and not a troll, but my dealer has the Vetrauens blabs yesterday evening.

I was once look at the K-01 and then I come for me to the conclusion that nothing is for me. And I've come this week and since then has been said the following.

As Fact:
1) Pentax has the last K5 obtained from the Far East
2) As of May there / should there be a K5n. It has a pivoting monitor (hear, hear)
3) For July / Somme has announced the K3. This is a more advanced successor to the K5 to go to the start.

At 2 +3 there is probably already there is an announcement in the paper form (quasi brochures).

and now (great fanfare)
4) On the horizon is a professional camera in sight (probably should really be called K1), which can have a professional status. They use a statement that they will NOT APS-C sensor. Whether it really is full frame, that was no longer tease out (PHOTOKINA, you listen to toddle ..... ick)

As the colleague who is an enthusiastic Pentaxianer who knows from the rumblings in the fandom, I think his testimony is credible.

Well ...

to May is indeed not so long .......

LG
03-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #189
Forum Member

Well in analogue days the MZ-5 came out in 1996 and was available until 2001, a year later the MZ-5n and the MZ-3 came out and finally the MZ-S in 2001.

This looks like one of two possible things - either somebody told a story familiar enough to make it sound plausible and went along these history-lanes OR the company follows its own practice in the past..

Well, we'll see - personally for me a full-frame Pentax need not come..(I'd loose 2 bets into the bargain)

Angus
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #190
Veteran Member

Doesn't sound resonable to me. There is no way Pentax would release a K-5n in May, and then a replacement for the K-5 just a couple of months later. I could understand it if the replacement K-3 was to be a new top-end camera (and so not a replacement, with the K-5n holding the middle range), but the rumored K-1 makes that unlikely.
the only reason it wouldn't sound reasonable is if Hoya still ran things. To me this sounds very reasonable. it's really not that many models, it is however enough models to start competing more seriously. 2 models really doesn't cut it. ignoring the mirrorless (nex) segment how many models (SLT) is Sony offering. Sony has to be the first target market share wise. For that matter though how many models do Canon and Nikon offer?
Certainly there have been some excellent offerings over the years from Pentax but if you want market traction at a minimum you need good better best offerings. Ricoh has said they need at least a 3-4 camera line in DSLR themselves in interviews earlier this year.
If you ever want to see them get shelf space in B&M this will be a huge help. No-one at retail is going to present a line as limited as the Pentax one has been. A year with the K-01 release, several lens releases, and 3 new bodies will get some traction, if it is backed up with decent dealer support you will see some big improvement in availability. Add a KR replacement for the entry level to this list and it's a pretty solid lineup
03-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #191
Forum Member

Small scale differentiation might make sense - especially if you don't have to change too much for it - also see colours in K-x. In the analogue days the MZ-5 and MZ-5n lived happily next to each other with very little to distinguish them - as far as I remember the 5n had the viewfinder stopdown button as well as a fancy panoramic setting vs the MZ-5 - not that it matters in this context.

I believe the point is really to have three or four current models on the shelves - there are still quite a few late converters out there who might want to pick up a K-5 still.

Angus
03-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Pentax has gone on record saying that they thought having just the k-r and k-5 wasn't enough. Now there's a leak saying that there will be more cameras.

Go Ricoh.
03-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #193
Pentaxian

It sounds plausible that the K-01 series will be the new entry-level machine, the K-5n will be the K-r's successor and the K-3 will be the K-5's successor. So we could have the following line-up (from "cheap" to expensive):

- K-01
- K-5n
- K-3
- K-1

There you have it
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #194
Veteran Member

Just for reference, as a counterpoint to 'cannibalization' thoughts:

1. Canon 1D IV
2. Canon 1Ds III
3. Canon 5D III
4. Canon 5D II
5. Canon 7D
6. Canon 60D
7. Canon 50D
8. Rebel T3i
9. Rebel T2i
10. Rebel T3

...is the current lineup of just DSLR's (no mirrorless) from Canon right now.

...and Ricoh just seems to hate Canon, and seems to want to deny them an existence.
03-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Maybe they are both different segments.
K-3: new flagship APS-C body
K-1: new flagship FF body
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It sounds plausible that the K-01 series will be the new entry-level machine, the K-5n will be the K-r's successor and the K-3 will be the K-5's successor. So we could have the following line-up (from "cheap" to expensive):

- K-01
- K-5n
- K-3
- K-1

There you have it
Be of good cheer Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
Speculations:
  • K-01 / MILC Line - entry functions and buttons with focus peaking and video
    • Don't forget the XS lenses - major commitment to MILC
  • K5n - K-5 spec.s and buttons with tiltable LCD with focus peaking and video - WR
  • K-3 - High-end APSc with major improvements. Suitable for semi-professional and enthusiast use.
  • K-1 (LX-d) - Full pro-spec. body. Something (else) we've never seen before.
  • 645D II - tethering, faster card bus
I'd bet this plan and a lot of the design work has been on the shelf, but was interrupted by the Tsunami and floods, then the sale to Ricoh. Sony doesn't just decide to abandon dSLR and move entirely to SLT unless they see a new player on the horizon.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2012 at 09:59 AM.