Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Wrong sort of Indian - it's actually from ancient India, not the one that Columbus thought he'd found, although variants are found in other cultures.
Actually the native americans had their own version they used extensively: Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

03-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Wrong sort of Indian - it's actually from ancient India, not the one that Columbus thought he'd found, although variants are found in other cultures. The Nazi swastika faces the opposite way to the majority of Indian ones.
It was used in many cultures, including what was to become India and what was to become the United States.

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Well at least we're using the same vetted reference!
03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #244
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow Godwin was right again!

03-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Actually the native americans had their own version they used extensively: Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OK, you got me there. I was relying on my readings on the origin of the Nazi emblem from a long time ago (we used paper references in those days).
03-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No I mean Clavius obviously do not want to hear explanations and dismiss them with the back of his hands.
IMO, it certainly proves a lack of education, to say the least.

If any US car maker called a car '11th september', imagine the reactions. Rightfully so.
But how many models of GM had a SS in them? And that was started in at least the late 60s much more contemporary to WWII then is today.
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #247
Pentaxian

No new blurrypics?

I guess the whole K-z story was an early Aprils Fools joke then...

03-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote

The thing that I am wondering is how them can improve on the K-r without treading on the toes of the K-5.

Once you give the K-z the K-5's processor the photographic core of the camera isn't that far off.
03-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #249
Pentaxian

Early April 1st joke ...

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Bonjour,

Nope ... haven't come across anymore blurry images ... not really that it was that blurred to begin with.

Really, I don't want to see another one and get all worked up and "oversensitive" again ...

Allez et merde aux blagues de très mauvais goût - John le Frog
03-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

The thing that I am wondering is how them can improve on the K-r without treading on the toes of the K-5.

Once you give the K-z the K-5's processor the photographic core of the camera isn't that far off.
this happens every time the entry is updated. the tech flows down and for a period some of the performance is on par, then the next high end model comes and it get's back in balance.
K5 has also dropped pretty close to waht a KR replacement will sell at so the differential is in the body design and construction
03-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this happens every time the entry is updated. the tech flows down and for a period some of the performance is on par, then the next high end model comes and it get's back in balance.
K5 has also dropped pretty close to waht a KR replacement will sell at so the differential is in the body design and construction
I found the rumors about the K-5 w/tilting screen AND the K-3 interesting. And wasn't there talk about a real low-level SLR? So... what if the "K-5n" is the K-r replacement, the K-3 the new "enthusiast/semi pro" model, and there's still an entry-level SLR coming? With the K-1 in addition, Pentax would then have 4 tiers of SLRs by a year's time, and in addition the Q, K-01 and the 645D. Now that would be a great lineup
03-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #252
Pentaxian

Chevelle & Camero "SS" - Super Sport

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
But how many models of GM had a SS in them? And that was started in at least the late 60s much more contemporary to WWII then is today.
Bonjour,

To answer your question ... a lot. And it's still being used ... just googled it.

The point may be that when GM/Chevy made all those "SS" option models, (1.) they were the number one car manufacture in the world and (2.) 99.99% of those vehicles were sold and used in the US ... correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think that Chevy exported (or even tried) its big block muscle cars in Germany or elsewhere in Europe ... if if they had, would they have kept the "SS" label ?! (3.) "SS" stands for "Super Sport" which gives its abbreviation credibility.

The counterpoint may be that (1.) Pentax is NOT the number one manufacturer of DSLRs in the world so it cannot through its weight around like GM, (2.) sells its products in a very competitive INTERNATIONAL environment (ie hopefully Pentax sells more DSLRs outside of Japan than inside, unlike GM's very domestic sales scenario in the 60's) and (3.) possibly chose a product name, "K-z", which is easily recognizable as an obvious product name error in Germany and with other nationalities as well ... and (4.) if "K-z" is an abbreviation, like "SS" is for Super Sport, what the heck does it stand for .... ?! We all use and read things into abbreviations now IMHO, LOL, WYSIWYG, DIY, YMMV, etc. etc. etc.

I would maybe end this post be saying that I am sorry that I have yet again gotten up on my soapbox to preach, but I won't.

My point from the very beginning was that "K-z" is a very problematic future product name which was easily recognizable as a problem and even more easily avoidable. "K-z" as a Pentax product name is just stupid, PERIOD.

Bien cordialement, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-26-2012 at 09:32 AM.
03-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #253
Veteran Member

You guys can only find loose ties between WWII and names of things unrelated to them... i'll give you something convoluted instead!

Everyone should be familiar with the game Killzone... which can be commonly abbreviated to KZ. The enemy Helghast, their armour is based off the Protect Gear from the Japanese Kerberos Saga manga. A more familiar title from the series would be the animated film adaptation Jin-Roh. The Kerberos Saga is based on alternate realities and Jin-Roh in particular uses the idea that the Germans occupied Japan after WWII instead of America. The main anti-terror force in this alternate reality is the Kerberos Panzer Corps which wear that Protect Gear.

So.. take that for crazy links and associations!
03-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
You guys can only find loose ties between WWII and names of things unrelated to them... i'll give you something convoluted instead!

Everyone should be familiar with the game Killzone... which can be commonly abbreviated to KZ. The enemy Helghast, their armour is based off the Protect Gear from the Japanese Kerberos Saga manga. A more familiar title from the series would be the animated film adaptation Jin-Roh. The Kerberos Saga is based on alternate realities and Jin-Roh in particular uses the idea that the Germans occupied Japan after WWII instead of America. The main anti-terror force in this alternate reality is the Kerberos Panzer Corps which wear that Protect Gear.

So.. take that for crazy links and associations!
So much for comparing an alternate reality game which btw is totally unknown to me and concentration camps. Game which isn't named KZ btw.

Are YOU from an alternate reality?
03-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
You guys had any Waffen-SS guys on your soil?

Why can't you understand this important TO OTHERS ?