Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
So much for comparing an alternate reality game which btw is totally unknown to me and concentration camps. Game which isn't named KZ btw.

Are YOU from an alternate reality?
I made no comparisons. I only stated factual links between different medias (games, manga/comics and film).

03-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this happens every time the entry is updated. the tech flows down and for a period some of the performance is on par, then the next high end model comes and it get's back in balance.
K5 has also dropped pretty close to waht a KR replacement will sell at so the differential is in the body design and construction
True, but with the K-5 replacement coming in September (probably) that's a bit of a wait. And as you say the price is likely to be pretty similar.

Not that this is a problem per se, I'm more concerned because I am tempted to upgrade from my K-7 in the not too distant future.
03-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
True, but with the K-5 replacement coming in September (probably) that's a bit of a wait. And as you say the price is likely to be pretty similar.

Not that this is a problem per se, I'm more concerned because I am tempted to upgrade from my K-7 in the not too distant future.
Well the K5 will be a more logical upgrade, operationally it's much the same just improved performance parameters. Also there is supposedly a K5n that will come out soon with tilting lcd. you can bet on the K3 (or whatever it's called) in September will use the 24mp sensor the nex7 has in it. It will also cost 4-500 more than the current k5 price most certainly. Even if it has the same sensor the Kr replacement will still be a step down in many ways from a K5. So the decision is wait for the 24mp model for a 50% price premium in the fall, the current K5 at a very good price or the K5n in a couple of months at an increased price but with added features like a tilt screen (and possibly better performance in Video). No matter which decision you make I'm pretty certain you will like the improvements in performance over the K7 (I'm in the same boat as you, likely though I will wait until fall and see if there is a FF option as well)
03-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Well the K5 will be a more logical upgrade, operationally it's much the same just improved performance parameters. Also there is supposedly a K5n that will come out soon with tilting lcd. you can bet on the K3 (or whatever it's called) in September will use the 24mp sensor the nex7 has in it. It will also cost 4-500 more than the current k5 price most certainly. Even if it has the same sensor the Kr replacement will still be a step down in many ways from a K5. So the decision is wait for the 24mp model for a 50% price premium in the fall, the current K5 at a very good price or the K5n in a couple of months at an increased price but with added features like a tilt screen (and possibly better performance in Video). No matter which decision you make I'm pretty certain you will like the improvements in performance over the K7 (I'm in the same boat as you, likely though I will wait until fall and see if there is a FF option as well)
Nice summary. I had only very recently heard the K-5n rumour.

I too will most likely wait till September. I quite like the K-01 and have no objections about the Q but these two cameras do make it harder to predict the future of OVF K mount cameras. The lens roadmap helped a bit

I am interested in the K-z more for what it might tell us about Pentax's future direction then for the camera itself. I appreciate the added external controls that the K-7 has, the K-z is unlikely to up market in that respect.

03-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #260
Veteran Member

With the leaks on the Sony A99 which has the sensor that any Ff Pentax is likely to get I'm definitely in the wait for Photokina camp - though it would be nice to have a new camera for my trip in September I would rather wait and get it for christmas if it means a better camera (or a better price on the same camera )
03-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I found the rumors about the K-5 w/tilting screen AND the K-3 interesting. And wasn't there talk about a real low-level SLR? So... what if the "K-5n" is the K-r replacement, the K-3 the new "enthusiast/semi pro" model, and there's still an entry-level SLR coming? With the K-1 in addition, Pentax would then have 4 tiers of SLRs by a year's time, and in addition the Q, K-01 and the 645D. Now that would be a great lineup
Though I know nothing, this is quite close to my thinking. I believe Ricoh intends to develop the Pentax brand to compete effectively in the marketplace against Canon (and to a lesser extent against Nikon and Sony) - and in fact the groundwork for this structure was actually laid by Hoya.

We've already seen two new lines in 6 months Q and K-"Zero" (I believe K-Zero is the line name).

I believe the lineup will be
  • Mirrorless Hybrid
    • Q
    • K-Zero
  • APSc
    • Mirrorless w/ a viewfinder (K-Zero in a K-r body w/100% pentamirror VF)
    • dSLR intermediate (K5n) - SF1n wasn't a downgrade.
    • dSLR High-Spec.(K-3)
  • Full-Frame (of whatever sort - maybe APSh, etc.)
    • Multiple unique, distinguishing features (K-1)
  • Medium Format (of a sort)
    • 645D
    • Full MF Sensor (least likely of all, but possible)
Of course we can only guess at the combinations of features offered at each successive level and the technologies caried universally to leverage the investment. The real variable for success in the USA will be rebuilding a traditional distribution channel - not an easy undertaking. One hopes PRI can leverage whatever Ricoh has in place.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-26-2012 at 06:41 AM.
03-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You guys had any Waffen-SS guys on your soil?

Why can't you understand this important TO OTHERS ?
Just curious - In Belgium, do German companies advertise their superior German engineering? That's actually prolific here in the US.

03-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
do German companies advertise their superior German engineering?
They do in France (car makers for instance), but nobody (or very few) hates Germany or the Germans anymore... We all do hate some parts of our common history, that's all. I have to admit though, I never heard of this acronym before...
What if we got back on topic? We want some news & rumors!
03-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
We all do hate some parts of our common history, that's all
Napoleon was quite the thug ;-)
03-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #265
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We've already seen two new lines in 6 months Q and K-"Zero" (I believe K-Zero is the line name).

• Mirrorless Hybrid
    • Q
    • K-Zero
  • APSc
    • dSLR High-Spec.(K-3)
    • 645D
Of course we can only guess at the combinations of features offered at each successive level and the technologies caried universally to leverage the investment.

Could make me happy!
03-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #266
Site Supporter

Since people are speculating on improved video for an intermediate release K5 called a K5n, I wonder if they could do a firmware update allowing the current K5 to save video in a better format such as h264. Motion jpeg is way to big on the file sizes. If not no big loss since I do have a dedicated full HD camcorder.
03-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #267
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  • Mirrorless Hybrid
    • Q
    • K-Zero
  • APSc
    • dSLR High-Spec.(K-3)
    • 645D
Of course we can only guess at the combinations of features offered at each successive level and the technologies caried universally to leverage the investment.
Well maybe if they want to go for the big pictures they could also pull out (instead of full size 645D) a full size 67D system. Compatible with old lenses and with just 2 or 3 new lenses. This grand camera (no need for AF) with a sensor of 56x70 mm and 173 megapixel (cut from the same wafer as K-5/D800) would make an excellent camera for pro futures..
03-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Since people are speculating on improved video for an intermediate release K5 called a K5n, I wonder if they could do a firmware update allowing the current K5 to save video in a better format such as h264. Motion jpeg is way to big on the file sizes. If not no big loss since I do have a dedicated full HD camcorder.
Doubt it. H.264 usually requires hardware encoding.
03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I doubt it. I'm guessing the H264 support is a feature of the PRIME M (Fujitsu Milbeaut MB91696AM?), and lacking in the PRIME II used by K-5.
03-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #270
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Doubt it. H.264 usually requires hardware encoding.
How about some other type that has smaller file sizes?