Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #271
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
How about some other type that has smaller file sizes?
No. Pentax doesn't add major feature through firmware updates. I doubt the Prime II can encode anything other than Motion JPEG anyway.

03-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #272
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No. Pentax doesn't add major feature through firmware updates.
Well maybe we will get focus peaking with a firmware update?
03-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well maybe if they want to go for the big pictures they could also pull out (instead of full size 645D) a full size 67D system. Compatible with old lenses and with just 2 or 3 new lenses. This grand camera (no need for AF) with a sensor of 56x70 mm and 173 megapixel (cut from the same wafer as K-5/D800) would make an excellent camera for pro futures..
LOL, that would likely be a $150000 camera given the 40-50000 cost of the much smaller FF 645 cameras. If it could be released for the price of the 80mp hassy or even 10 grand more it would have a chance (slim but a chance - Pentax MF users like other Pentax users have always been value conscious)
03-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #274

I always wonder why evrybody thinks that me might see a Pentax FF in the forseeable future?

Every official statement = No
normal sources = NO
well informed and known people = NO
some internet rumors = yes

I dont think that we are going to see FF in the near future, but will be pleased if it would happen.

But i am more interested in more high quality , WR, Fast, super AF capable Lenses.

03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
I always wonder why evrybody thinks that me might see a Pentax FF in the forseeable future?

Every official statement = No
normal sources = NO
well informed and known people = NO
some internet rumors = yes

I dont think that we are going to see FF in the near future, but will be pleased if it would happen.

But i am more interested in more high quality , WR, Fast, super AF capable Lenses.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal sources' or 'well informed and known people'. Not every official statement has said 'no', though, and in fact I took the pentax forums interview a month or two ago to mean 'damn straight we're looking at it, we're just trying to figure out what the specs are and where in the market it would fit'.
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most recent statement from Pentax head of product (Adam's interview at CP+) was, "Laughter. Taht's a good question!! It would have to be unique." No denial. No affirmation. Just that nervous Japanese cultural laughter and a non-denial.

It is coming next year.
03-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #277
Pentaxian

Everybody = No

I think it's possible. Not sure if likely, but definitely possible.

03-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #278
Pentaxian

Everything to gain and nothing to loose ... FF dreams

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The most recent statement from Pentax head of product (Adam's interview at CP+) was, "Laughter. That's a good question!! It would have to be unique." No denial. No affirmation. Just that nervous Japanese cultural laughter and a non-denial.

It is coming next year.

Bonjour,

A year ago, if someone had leaked the "K-01 info" just after the acquisitiion of Pentax by Ricoh, a lot would say that there's no way it would fly ... but it's here and seems to be doing well. IMHO, Pentax has everything to gain and absolutely nothing to loose by putting a FF in their market offer and/or product portfolio ... a range from various compacts, small and large format hybrids (Q & K-01, 02 ...), maybe an upper-shelf, but still "entry" level DSLR (pro-sumer type), an "expert" level DSLR in big APS-C/megpix orientation, a FF ("FF1"), possibly stripped of the video bells & whistles, photographer's "purist" version, and then a later FF ("FF2") decked out with video applications, etc. ... and a the top, well, the 645D and beyond.

Compacts = done & advancing, developing further
Hybrids = done & still developing (plus integrate Ricoh system)
DSLR's = APS-C's in place and bigger comming soon
FF = the obvious hole to fill and to put Pentax (back) into the "Pro" market segment
Medium format = done & developing more support equipment

"It's coming out next year" : FF1 first (because it'll be the "unique" purist model), to be later followed by FF2 ... On verra!

Salut, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-26-2012 at 11:05 PM.
03-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #279
Pentaxian

That would be a great move, if possible

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well maybe we will get focus peaking with a firmware update?
Bonjour Ron,

One could only hope and I'm keeping a couple of fingers crossed ... yes, I'm oversensitive optimist at times ... and then again, life's too short.

On ve croiser les doigts bien forts - A+, J Frog
03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The most recent statement from Pentax head of product (Adam's interview at CP+) was, "Laughter. Taht's a good question!! It would have to be unique." No denial. No affirmation. Just that nervous Japanese cultural laughter and a non-denial.

It is coming next year.
Perhaps, however what little knowledge I have of Japanese culture tells me that saying "No" outright is viewed as crass and boorish. If that is the case here then the laughter may be nervous laughter because the question was blunt and the truth would be embarrassing or culturally awkward, hence the laughter and non-denial denial.
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #281

with normal people i mean people like falc etc. which are quite good informed on the subject itself.

wellinformed/well known are some people i know who are working for pentax, most of them in sales.
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #282

Photos: Albums
While Im certainly excited about the future of Pentax under Ricoh owner/leadership, I have some serious doubts about the validity of all of the rumors that have suddenly popped up surrounding new bodies. For the past several years, Pentax has offered 1-2 new SLR bodies, and 1-2 new lenses each year. Some of these lenses were modern updates to existing designs, minimizing the overall cost of producing said lenses. This seemed to be the extent of Pentax's development. Yet in the last 9 months, Pentax has given us the Q, the K-01, and four Q mount lenses. Additionally, it is highly anticipated that both the K-r and the K-5 will receive upgrades by Photokina (approximately) and the roadmap indicates several more DA lenses to be produced by years end. That means 4 new bodies and 7-8 (or more) new lenses by the end of 2012, essentially DOUBLING (and more) the total number of new bodies/lenses over previous years. Yes, Ricoh has invested a ton in Pentax, and yes, some of these designs (most likely the Q) existed before Ricoh came along, but for each new model to be produced, Pentax needs to have the production capacity to do so. While Im no expert on manufacturing, my understanding is that doubling the number of options available (not just doubling production capacity) in as little as 9 months, is an amazing accomplishment! Presuming the K-r is replaced by the speculated K-z, and the K-5 is replaced by a speculated K-3, I really wonder if there will ever be such a thing as a K-5n and a K-1...

...at least, this year.

Ricoh wants to compete with Canon and Nikon...GREAT! Since I do happen to be an expert at gazing into crystal balls (/sarcasm), I believe that its more likely that the K-5n and K-z are quite possibly the same thing. Its very easy to take the K-5, add the new Prime M engine for better video capabilities, and an articulating screen, house it in a polycarbonate body and call it the K-z. Throw an $899 body, $999 kit MSRP on it, and it will sit right between the K-01 and the K-5. Will it canabalize the K-5 sales? I dont think so. The K-5 will have top LCD, dual scroll wheels, weather sealing, grip capabilities, etc. Remember, when the K-r came out, it had a faster motor drive, better video controls and better high ISO noise than the K-7 (which was the top model at the time - for 2 more weeks) and those two models existed in Pentax's lineup for sometime before the K-7 was discontinued. Keep the K-5 in at $1299 and then its replacement at $1599, and you have a VERY solid lineup in which Pentax can START to compete better with C/N - still with room to grow!
03-26-2012, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
While Im certainly excited about the future of Pentax under Ricoh owner/leadership, I have some serious doubts about the validity of all of the rumors that have suddenly popped up surrounding new bodies. For the past several years, Pentax has offered 1-2 new SLR bodies, and 1-2 new lenses each year. Some of these lenses were modern updates to existing designs, minimizing the overall cost of producing said lenses. This seemed to be the extent of Pentax's development. Yet in the last 9 months, Pentax has given us the Q, the K-01, and four Q mount lenses. Additionally, it is highly anticipated that both the K-r and the K-5 will receive upgrades by Photokina (approximately) and the roadmap indicates several more DA lenses to be produced by years end. That means 4 new bodies and 7-8 (or more) new lenses by the end of 2012, essentially DOUBLING (and more) the total number of new bodies/lenses over previous years. Yes, Ricoh has invested a ton in Pentax, and yes, some of these designs (most likely the Q) existed before Ricoh came along, but for each new model to be produced, Pentax needs to have the production capacity to do so. While Im no expert on manufacturing, my understanding is that doubling the number of options available (not just doubling production capacity) in as little as 9 months, is an amazing accomplishment! Presuming the K-r is replaced by the speculated K-z, and the K-5 is replaced by a speculated K-3, I really wonder if there will ever be such a thing as a K-5n and a K-1...

...at least, this year.

Ricoh wants to compete with Canon and Nikon...GREAT! Since I do happen to be an expert at gazing into crystal balls (/sarcasm), I believe that its more likely that the K-5n and K-z are quite possibly the same thing. Its very easy to take the K-5, add the new Prime M engine for better video capabilities, and an articulating screen, house it in a polycarbonate body and call it the K-z. Throw an $899 body, $999 kit MSRP on it, and it will sit right between the K-01 and the K-5. Will it canabalize the K-5 sales? I dont think so. The K-5 will have top LCD, dual scroll wheels, weather sealing, grip capabilities, etc. Remember, when the K-r came out, it had a faster motor drive, better video controls and better high ISO noise than the K-7 (which was the top model at the time - for 2 more weeks) and those two models existed in Pentax's lineup for sometime before the K-7 was discontinued. Keep the K-5 in at $1299 and then its replacement at $1599, and you have a VERY solid lineup in which Pentax can START to compete better with C/N - still with room to grow!
Add to it the 40XS lens, more openness about what they are doing, a statement about rehiring the lens engineers that Hoya let go, and attempts to do a more dynamic job marketing (outside the US anyway) and you have a really encouraging situation IMHO. People are excited and want everything to happen all at once. Ricoh has committed to doing a LOT in the next 12 months or so and I do not see them backing off from those public commitments. They can add to, or over deliver, their promises and not loose face but to pull back would be bad. So, I think they have told us about the sure things, hedged on the maybes, and are working hard to put out a solid lineup. I keep looking to how they took on Canon the last time they beat them and seeing a pattern.
03-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Perhaps, however what little knowledge I have of Japanese culture tells me that saying "No" outright is viewed as crass and boorish. If that is the case here then the laughter may be nervous laughter because the question was blunt and the truth would be embarrassing or culturally awkward, hence the laughter and non-denial denial.
Aww, you're spoiling all the fun!
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #285
Pentaxian

Good comments ...

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote

...at least, this year.

Bonjour PentaxScott,

I would agree with a lot you said ... thanks again and I believe that we are beginning to see and put together some of the medium range plans of the new Pentax/Ricoh stratyegy, and in a year from now the long(er) term strategy will also be more evident ...

Salut, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-26-2012 at 11:05 PM.