Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are differences in the interface, raw file storage etc. These are not flagrant but there are differences none the less.

01-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
From a business standpoint the Samsung partnership could do more damage than good in the long run, if i were Hoya i'd be looking to sever the partnership if they want to keep the existing price to performance userbase intact. No disrespect to Samsung users, but i dont see how Pentax can compete if their own products are being undercut by their business partner.
How about if the sensor turns out to be manufactured by Samsung? Or the electronics are designed by Samsung? How would you view the partnership then?

I disagree with you. DSLR is about as much electronics as optics. Samsung's strength is the electronics and possibly sensors, which Pentax needs. I view them as a nice complement to each other.

Sure, the K20D and GX20 will compete with each other; but without the partnership, we may not have K20D in the first place, or at least not so soon.

And having additional K mount camera users base is a big advantage to us; it would certainly mean more 3rd party lens and accessories support.
01-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
How about if the sensor turns out to be manufactured by Samsung? Or the electronics are designed by Samsung? How would you view the partnership then?

I disagree with you. DSLR is about as much electronics as optics. Samsung's strength is the electronics and possibly sensors, which Pentax needs. I view them as a nice complement to each other.

Sure, the K20D and GX20 will compete with each other; but without the partnership, we may not have K20D in the first place, or at least not so soon.

And having additional K mount camera users base is a big advantage to us; it would certainly mean more 3rd party lens and accessories support.
Ahh, that could be an interesting twist to the story. I hadnt thought about the sensor actually being made by Samsung but to me this was a move by Pentax before they had the financial backing of Hoya. There is no reason for them to actually share the camera design wholly with any manufacturer unless Samsung have it in contract when Pentax were struggling to stay afloat. Of course it all means great news for us but to me it seems like one of those business moves that got Pentax into trouble in the first place...

Last edited by Kaimarx; 01-09-2008 at 04:46 PM.
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

Yep, I would tend to agree with you here...The truth is, we simply don't know at this time...In the same way samsung supplies dell with product that is renamed ''DELL'' the truth of the matter is pentax needs samsung more that samsung needs pentax.. IMHO...

01-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Ahh, that could be an interesting twist to the story. I hadnt thought about the sensor actually being made by Samsung but to me this was a move by Pentax before they had the financial backing of Hoya. There is no reason for them to actually share the camera design wholly with any manufacturer unless Samsung have it in contract when Pentax were struggling to stay afloat. Of course it all means great news for us but to me it seems like one of those business moves that got Pentax into trouble in the first place...
IT's not uncommon for joint enterprises to be a 2 way street. We can have our favorites in any partnership. Ever know a couple guys in business together, and hear complaints from wives of both of them that 'their guy' was doing 150% of the work????

There is surely some reason beyond Pentax's stupidity that they have a deal with Samsung. We may not know the reason or even understand it. But either Pentax is radically more stupid than I think they are---or they are getting something out of their deal with Samsung.

It makes perfect sense for Pentax to get some electronics help. after all they already know how to mold ugly black boxes with knobs on them and set a penta prism and a pop up flash on top.
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #51

I would have thought Samsung gains by having a company using its sensor, and Pentax gains by having a whole bunch of additional buyers for K-Mount Pentax Lenses and Hoya Filters?
01-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #52
Busiko

Samsung GX20?

I'm sorry, but that is a photo of the GX10 photoshoped

http://www.aronsen.no/inc/getimg2.asp?x=&y=&mode=0&id=1773

01-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
I'm sorry, but that is a photo of the GX10 photoshoped

http://www.aronsen.no/inc/getimg2.asp?x=&y=&mode=0&id=1773
I am a norwegian, and I can assure you that this aronsen.no is the adress of the norwegian Samsung distributor. I would be very surpriced if this was not genuine.

In other words. Either you are wrong, or Aronsen has made a serious mistake.

EDIT: Let me rephrase my conclusion. The photo may be odd, but IMO everything else indicates that the content of the news (read announsement) is geniune.

Tim

Last edited by Fototim; 01-09-2008 at 06:42 PM.
01-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

[QUOTEI'm sorry, but that is a photo of the GX10 photoshoped][/QUOTE]

Finally, and the only thing that makes any sense on this whole thread! You got to love all us Pentax fans that dream in color! Cheers JIMBO
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #55

Original Poster
Look alike Bodies

I think it's in Pentax's favour to make the bodies the same. Certainly from a marketing aspect, I notice that all the poster ads that I see don't have the model tags on the cameras fronts.

From the pictures, I'm seeing almost identical body shapes to the K10d in the new K200d. I notice the Samsungs look identical too.

I can't wait to see it, I hope it's the same shell. The K10d fits me just great, I'd love to have shiny new insides.

The Pentax swoosh may get them closer to "It's a Pentax" market share yet.

P.S. The first message in the thread is a first for me. I'm a long time Pentax user, started with the Mz-5n (stolen), got a KX, Super Program, MZ-S, *ist D, now K10d (I can take pictures in bars now without flash!). I almost always have the k10d and da40(without lens cap!) strapped around my back and have recently learned I love street photography.

Sorry for the introduction, you're gonna have to get used to it with the new camera coming out and lurkers coming out as well.

Matt
01-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Old report???

Pentax K20D on show at PMA 2008 - Stock Photo market and Creative Digital Photography guide
Letīs just say that the above is not rumor anymore. The 14 megapixel sensor is real and beta reports are surfacing about very good noise performance. Yes, every new model from every brand always screams - "Best high ISO performance ever!" - but in this case it is not exagerated groundbreaking hype but a very satisfactory level of noise in relation to the higher pixelcount. Penmtax (sic) K20d beta testers are reporting beter performanmce compared to the 10 megapixel K10d.
Expect a starting price at around 1400 us$
None of the cams is expected to hit the markets until after Q1 2008 though, probably closer to mid-year.

Samsung GX-20 dslr with live view - Stock Photo market and Creative Digital Photography guide
Price is expected to begin at 11-1200 dollars. Very probably this will diminish in time. Expect the new Samsung GX-20 to hit the market during 1:st quarter 2008.
Gx-20 released (possibly months before ) the K-20?????
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattedm Quote
Sorry for the introduction, you're gonna have to get used to it with the new camera coming out and lurkers coming out as well.
Matt
Welcome aboard Matt. The more the merrier. All of this raging about who is making what is kind of funny when all it is is a good old fashioned OEM deal that is good for Pentax, Samsung, and us. More choices is always good.

Ken
01-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #58

I want to hear some reports on the dynamic range on this sensor. I feel like I am missing an appendege since moving to digital.
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #59

Possibly verging slightly off-topic, but if the specs of the GX20 are an indication of what we can expect with the K20D, then I'm not *that* excited just yet. Most of the features are simply "more..." or "bigger..." or "better" (14Mp rather than 10, 2 dust-resistant coatings rather than one, ISO3200 rather than ISO1600, better noise reduction) but all that is just incremental... not mindblowing. "New Sensor" doesn't automatically mean any kind of massive leap forward of the kind that would shift the DSLR landscape as we know it.

If that is indeed what Pentax are aiming for, that is....
01-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
all that is just incremental... not mindblowing. .
Isn't this always the case with every updated model of every brand such as the K20D
Like the Canon 10 20 30 40 ,,,incremental up grades at best
Only a altogether "new model" can you really be surprised

Last edited by Jesus; 01-09-2008 at 08:52 PM.