Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
How do we know that Pentax isn't earning more from these price increases - or won't in the near future? Pentax could have easily raised their prices, I saw something similar happen years ago in a store where I worked, the boss was not happy.
You are correct - we don't know.

But for Pentax to rebuild a dealer network Pentax's strategy would be to write dealer agreements (contracts) that serve both parties to the agreement. IOW the contract will offer dealer incentives (price breaks for volume, advertising co-op sharing, print ad inches planned in national media, etc.) that would over the course of the agreement bring the cost back down to current or near-current levels. Think of the retailer goal as net monthly profit per cubic foot of inventory. Over the toal of the Pentax Dealer Agreement, what is the potential net profit per cubic foot of invetory on store shelves, warehouse and sales floor. In theory the entire store should be fiklled with items that generate the highest PPFt3.

One presumes when Pentax converted to they converted to Amazon/Crutchfield/Best Buy/Adorama/B&H/Abe's BigBox/internet marketing they made their target wholesale prices net of reduced expenses in USA the same or better than they had been before the changes. One presumes their target net prices aftern this change net of increased expenses will be the same as or better than they are now.

We have to hop we get some benefit from any icnreased expenses

04-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Soon after I bought my first Pentax DSLR some 3-4 years ago, Hoya introduced ridiculous price hikes for nearly all Pentax lenses. So was this for Europe only or was it worldwide? Due to the price hikes I bought mostly 2nd hand lenses, when with no hike I might have bought new ones back then. Interesting to see where all this will end up going. If the new price increases seem worldwide and permanent, I may end up selling my Pentax system after all.

Hey, wasn't Ricoh supposed to be the good guys as opposed to the evil blood-sucking Hoya?
04-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Looking on the bright side... my LBA is now cured.
I've been clean since late January but struggling to keep the credit card inside the wallet. This does make it easier.
04-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Soon after I bought my first Pentax DSLR some 3-4 years ago, Hoya introduced ridiculous price hikes for nearly all Pentax lenses. So was this for Europe only or was it worldwide? Due to the price hikes I bought mostly 2nd hand lenses, when with no hike I might have bought new ones back then. Interesting to see where all this will end up going. If the new price increases seem worldwide and permanent, I may end up selling my Pentax system after all.

Hey, wasn't Ricoh supposed to be the good guys as opposed to the evil blood-sucking Hoya?
That was around the world and it was different.
They raised the price for the dealers, so Hoya directly got more money.
Now in the USA they have introduced a minium selling price for stores to consumers, so quite different.

In america the prices of lenses was always quite cheap compared to the EU so they look more in line now.

04-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Pentax can't afford to keep these lenses at these prices much longer. If there was any shot at gaining any new Pentax customers over the next few months, they've effectively killed that.
04-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #201
Banned

I can't wait to see the sticker shock on all the faces of those who think the new 560mm lens is going to come in around 2 grand.
04-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
How can they be serious? Just raising prices that much out of the blue? It seems like they are trying to drive customers away with every move they make.
Who is 'they'? I think the retailers are confused right now. Perhaps it's Pentax's fault, but I don't think prices will stay this way.

04-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #203

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
I can't wait to see the sticker shock on all the faces of those who think the new 560mm lens is going to come in around 2 grand.
Yeah, suddenly 2.5-3k sounds closer. Though I wasn't going to buy it anyways. If I'm getting something that long, might as well get something that fits my 645N as well.
04-03-2012, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #204
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I stopped buying Pentax lenses after two DA*50-135 SDM failures. I get better lenses and better warranties with both Sigma and Tamron, all at a much lower price. Having Pentax on the lens doesn't necessarily mean you will get better IQ, in fact it may mean you get worse in many comparisons. Paying more and getting less is not good economic sense.
I see where B&H has the DA*50-135 now priced at $1600. This is a great lens, but I can assure you it is no where close to being that great. I thought Ricoh was going to lead Pentax out of the ashes.......looks to me like they are just building themselves a hotter fire.
Regards
04-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seriously a big "screw you" from Ricoh to all the loyal Pentaxians. I was being cautiously optomistic of their new policy. I guess I am glad I already have almost everything I want. This is a really stupid move. They have just increased the street value of the equipment for people who might want to hop systems, and right after Nikon released one of the most sought after cameras ever.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-03-2012 at 08:36 AM.
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Well said.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I stopped buying Pentax lenses after two DA*50-135 SDM failures. I get better lenses and better warranties with both Sigma and Tamron, all at a much lower price. Having Pentax on the lens doesn't necessarily mean you will get better IQ, in fact it may mean you get worse in many comparisons. Paying more and getting less is not good economic sense.
I see where B&H has the DA*50-135 now priced at $1600. This is a great lens, but I can assure you it is no where close to being that great. I thought Ricoh was going to lead Pentax out of the ashes.......looks to me like they are just building themselves a hotter fire.
Regards
04-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Amen, Brother!

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Looking on the bright side... my LBA is now cured.
04-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #208
Veteran Member

I still love Pentax and the gear I have. Regardless, I will not be recomending this brand to friends and colleagues for quite some time. Too much uncertainty and mismanagement.
04-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, there goes one of Pentax's few advantages over CaNikon. That leaves us with smaller form factor and some unique primes. Okay. I don't usually like to beat this drum, but the grass is definitely starting to take on a new shade of green next door.
04-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am already looking into the prospect of switching to Canon or Sony and selling off all my Pentax equipment. Pentax had better do something soon.
Closed Thread