Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm already prepared for this. I've been wanting Pentax to move upscale and become more professional. There are so many accessories that Pentax used to make, but don't anymore. I never bought into the "Pentax = Low Cost". I've never understood people who thought that was a Pentax "thing". Pentax used to be the best regardless of cost. We are getting price increases that - hopefully - will fund other things. Pentax never has the volumes to justify low prices given the level of quality. Let Canikon make cheap cameras. Short term - pain in these prices, but long term, I think it's going to be a good thing for those of us that want more "professional" out of Pentax.

04-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #212
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I'm already prepared for this. I've been wanting Pentax to move upscale and become more professional. There are so many accessories that Pentax used to make, but don't anymore. I never bought into the "Pentax = Low Cost". I've never understood people who thought that was a Pentax "thing". Pentax used to be the best regardless of cost. We are getting price increases that - hopefully - will fund other things. Pentax never has the volumes to justify low prices given the level of quality. Let Canikon make cheap cameras. Short term - pain in these prices, but long term, I think it's going to be a good thing for those of us that want more "professional" out of Pentax.
i agree. but i also think that the prices will move down to the demand. perhaps not all the way down to where they were, but somewhere closer than they are now
04-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #213
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
from what i see it depends on what your lens needs are. Nikon's good glass is still quite expensive (look at the price on any of the G lenses)
and there is no real direct comparative on both limited series.
Look at the difference in warranty and customer support with the premium glass though.
04-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Well the problem is that Canikon make cheap lenses and also expensive lenses. That way they draw in newbies and budget photographers. For me, the main reason to go with the K-r was that it was the most bang for buck (and I don't have a lot of buck). So yes, I hope to get lenses with good bang for buck as well (like the 35mm f2.4). But I live in Europe and prices here have always been higher than in the US, which I've never quite understood. So this doesn't really affect me much either way If anything, I guess the lenses here might get cheaper because Americans will bring more money to Pentax (not to mention the people switching systems and selling used glass lol)

04-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #215
Site Supporter

Until they get their warranty in line on the premium Pentax glass along with customer support, that isn't going to happen. It takes more to be professional than outlandish pricing.
04-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMHO you understand precisely Ricoh's plan. I am always amazed when a poster threatens to go to Canon for a FF or more "professional" support and a 1.4x TC or a shoe-mount EVF or a generally broader lens lineup - then threatens to go to Canon when less prices rise. You can have one or the other but not both low prices and high service.

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
i agree. but i also think that the prices will move down to the demand. perhaps not all the way down to where they were, but somewhere closer than they are now
Before prices decline to a clearing level Pentax needs to send a signal that resellers who supply the gray market will no longer receive inventory to resell. I think (I know nothing and perhaps it isn't fair to list names, but) a BigBox outlet like BestBuy or internet distributor like Crutchfield might over-order to get end-bracket wholesale pricing, then sell-off excess inventory to down-market internet low-margin distributors. You see these as Amazon affiliates when you price something and on eBay. Amazon actually has to compete with these affiliates on price.

It will take a couple years to rebuild the channel in USA. EU and Asia won't be affected because they never left the traditional channel.

To understand what Pentax is going to do look at how Nikon does business and where there are opportunities shaving customers away from Canon and Sony. Nikon is the business model and reputation target, Canon and Sony are the sales targets.
04-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #217
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
. . .

It will take a couple years to rebuild the channel in USA. EU and Asia won't be affected because they never left the traditional channel.

. . .
The problem in the U.S. is that they have gotten so far off track, I don't think they really have a couple of years to get it back on track. You have to lay track before you can open up those locomotives. They are trying to run wide open with the track out ahead.

04-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The problem in the U.S. is that they have gotten so far off track, I don't think they really have a couple of years to get it back on track. You have to lay track before you can open up those locomotives. They are trying to run wide open with the track out ahead.
One step at a time. This is the first step. Lens prices won't stay here long (end of summer?). Major new product announcements aren't that far away. This is a Field-of-Battle preparation step.

The two years is to fully establish the major-city B&M presence. The one-man camera shop is basically gone and Ritz is going out again, I think.
04-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #219
Veteran Member

If Pentax becomes "upscale" they will be abandoning their current market: consumer enthusiasts of photography

04-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When taking over in business, you let things slide for about 6 months or so. Then you shock the system and clean house and shake things up. Within the last week or so, the FA 31 LTD and FA 43 LTD have made their way into my home. The boxes? They say "HOYA". That means that B&H, has sold me inventory that was at least made last October or has sat since then. For me to be able to buy Hoya inventory - for less than the Pentax Webstore - a full 6 months after the Ricoh take over, means so many things for the distribution channel and manufacturing of Pentax and their products. I'm glad Ricoh is shaking the boat.
04-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One step at a time. This is the first step. Lens prices won't stay here long (end of summer?). Major new product announcements aren't that far away. This is a Field-of-Battle preparation step.

The two years is to fully establish the major-city B&M presence. The one-man camera shop is basically gone and Ritz is going out again, I think.
What is the incentive for anyone to wait two years or even two months when other brands are rolling out kick ass products at prices that are now comparable or even cheaper than Pentax?

When Ricoh/Pentax finally do right their ship, who will be left?
04-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
If Pentax becomes "upscale" they will be abandoning their current market: consumer enthusiasts of photography
Please.

I don't see Facebook pages for updated "Qs" or "K-01s" or "Optios".

I don't see April fools jokes about about anything but a FF camera - and there is a reason for that.

If anyone feels abandoned its those of us that have been buying DSLRs since Pentax entered the Digital age and have not been taken seriously as Professionals.

I've got $3000-6000 sitting in the bank waiting. Pentax is not going to get that money on the "Toys" it has been trying to sell me lately.
04-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #223
Veteran Member

on the previous post to the above not necessarily a fair read Lauren. I believe due to the nature of the lens manufacturing lines (there aren't many) Runs are done with a projected qty until the next time a run is done. Since the low price kit lenses likely dominate at least 40-50% of the production time that means they may only be doing a run on lenses up to every 2 years. this would explain some of the long out of stocks on lenses that have exceeded sales projections (think the DA12-24 for instance). So for the next up to 2 years (or even longer if you are buying an A 50 1.2 from japan) you may see Hoya on some boxes. You may just see Pentax on the A50 1.2 lenses from japan they may be pre hoya stocks. certainly a lot of the new old stock 645 lenses fall in that category

I agree though the pro end has been ignored pretty badly since the advent of digital (for many reasons)
But even in Film days their professional focus was on medium format not film (the LX being the only truly pro level system they had though the mzs was very good)
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
on the previous post to the above not necessarily a fair read Lauren. I believe due to the nature of the lens manufacturing lines (there aren't many) Runs are done with a projected qty until the next time a run is done. Since the low price kit lenses likely dominate at least 40-50% of the production time that means they may only be doing a run on lenses up to every 2 years. this would explain some of the long out of stocks on lenses that have exceeded sales projections (think the DA12-24 for instance). So for the next up to 2 years (or even longer if you are buying an A 50 1.2 from japan) you may see Hoya on some boxes. You may just see Pentax on the A50 1.2 lenses from japan they may be pre hoya stocks. certainly a lot of the new old stock 645 lenses fall in tat category
True.
04-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #225
Veteran Member

I don't know about other countries, but here in the US, it's tax refund season. Pentax could not have timed it any worse unless they did this at Christmas time. No one in their right mind would pay $1,499.95 for a DA*16-50 with their refund money.
Coincedentally, the Fuji Xpro1 is selling for $1700. Which one will the average consumer, or any consumer, flock to?
Closed Thread