Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
I think Pentax executives upped the prices so they could buy their Canon 5D III faster.
You mean their D800 faster

04-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After reading 15 pages of this thread I still don't quite get it but I think I m just slow...

Pentax lenses now go up in prices...from 30% to double the price. I get it.

Pentax lens prices are now on par with some of the canikon lenses. I get that too.

But is there any indication that canikon will not raise their prices like Pentax did? Since the yen is getting higher and higher all the time and the dollar is devaluing all the time?

If canikon don't increase prices right now....will they do that this year? Next year perhaps?

So unless we can ascertain that canikon lens prices will stay this way for a considerable time, then maybe we can say Pentax prices are now creeping up to be the same as the big boys...

Just my 2 cents
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #288
Pentaxian

I was thinking of swiping the card last week but decided on going cash for a good slash off the price. Now I think I made the wrong decision.

From a user perspective, this is a big slap to the face. I just lost a big chunk of hope in getting that DA* 50-135 by next month (or in two months) with a K-5.
Crap...
04-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #289
Pentaxian

"Don't worry, it will all work out for the best." - my Mom.

04-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax didn't raise the prices. B&H, Adorama, Amazon, Abe's and the other dealers raised the prices.

LaurenOE figured it out - they're completely revamping for coming new product introductions (cameras, lenses, accessories, services, structure - everything) and they HAVE to raise prices to slow the depletion of existing inventory. Oterwise they'll be OOS and that's worse.

The resolution of this will be dramatic, that's for sure.
I agree, now where are the announcements for new products, new product road maps?
September (Photokina) is a long way off at this point.

WIFM in terms of purchasing this gear at this price if there is new, better and brighter stuff coming soon?
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #291
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Your Mom is a wise woman....but does she know Pentax's history?
04-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #292
Veteran Member

paraphrase

"Let them eat glass!"

04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #293
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
"Let them eat glass!"
My mom will say the same. lol hahah thanks for lifting the mood. And I wish I can eat (buy) glass =))

04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #294

Guess I'll be shopping for M42 glass for the foreseeable future for my new camera.
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
Very pi$$ed about this "strategic" move by Pentax. I was literally 2-3 days from pulling the trigger on DA* 50-135mm - I love this lens. Now that it has almost doubled in price, I will definitely not be buying anytime soon. WTF is Pentax thinking?!!?!?!? And FWIW, though I do purchase some items via Amazon, the bulk of my purchases have been through B&H. Why does Pentax want to bite the hands that feed them AND potentially see a viable distribution channel shrink even more. Canon/Nikon/Fuji/Sony must be licking their collective chops.
I'm glad I bought the DA*50-135 used but like new at $650 couple months ago. Can't believe it's now priced at $1,600. At the new price they better make sure the SDM is reliable!
04-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Your Mom is a wise woman....but does she know Pentax's history?
She thinks it's "Petsnax".
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #297
Pentaxian

So, what benefit do you think this will bring us Pentax users in the long run? I wish it's not so long a run... I read in LaurenOE's post somewhere here, "to slow down buying"... to prevent stores from running out of stock. Ricoh must be confident that some time after this price increase, after some yet-to-be-seen announcement people will suddenly buy Pentax stuff like crazy?
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #298
Loyal Site Supporter

You can slice it, dice it, bake or boil it, toast it or roast it...but when you can buy a new FF D800 for less that the price of two Pentax lenses that are subject to the dreaded SDM failures many have suffered, something is not going to come out of the oven well done. Raw deal? Looks that way to me. I thought they stopped that "new math" when they discovered that 2+2 equals 5 caused planes to crash? It can crash a camera company too......
Regards
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #299
Site Supporter

In my mind Pentax-Ricoh is now scoring 1:2. The 1 win is the lens roadmap; the 2 losses are the K-01 and the new pricing policy. I hope Pentax makes a quick turn-around with rebates and announcements of new camera bodies (like a FF), but if not there are other choices. For now, I'll suspend any investment in the Pentax brand.
04-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #300
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
So, what benefit do you think this will bring us Pentax users in the long run? I wish it's not so long a run... I read in LaurenOE's post somewhere here, "to slow down buying"... to prevent stores from running out of stock. Ricoh must be confident that some time after this price increase, after some yet-to-be-seen announcement people will suddenly buy Pentax stuff like crazy?
Yes. There are three new bodies on the roadmap in the next six months and a new lens roadmap; and possibly a FF body next year. When production is changed over and inventory rebuilt lens prices will normalize.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You can slice it, dice it, bake or boil it, toast it or roast it...but when you can buy a new FF D800 for less that the price of two Pentax lenses that are subject to the dreaded SDM failures many have suffered, something is not going to come out of the oven well done. Raw deal? Looks that way to me. I thought they stopped that "new math" when they discovered that 2+2 equals 5 caused planes to crash? It can crash a camera company too......
Regards
What do you mount on that brand spanking new D800 that won't get shipped to you until August?