Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #301

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jetfin Quote
In my mind Pentax-Ricoh is now scoring 1:2. The 1 win is the lens roadmap; the 2 losses are the K-01
Do you have one? Do you have sales figures to indicate that it is not selling well?

04-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
I think Pentax executives upped the prices so they could buy their Canon 5D III faster.
Nah, didn't you know - they're Leica users.
04-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes. There are three new bodies on the roadmap in the next six months and a new lens roadmap; and possibly a FF body next year. When production is changed over and inventory rebuilt lens prices will normalize.
OK, let's see... the K-01, the K-r replacement and the K-5 replacement for the bodies, right?
For the lenses... the DA 50 1.8, new 645 lenses and the DA 560, correct?
Not an expert in manufacturing so I might as well ask, what do you mean by "when production is changed over and inventory rebuilt"? Do you mean re-tooling the factories or something similar to that?

Could it be that, due to the rising popularity of Pentax products since the K-7 and K-x, lenses have actually been going short on most stores?

I'm trying to get over the shock here and find the justification (hoping my country won't be affected lol, but sellers here have this nasty tendency to "follow suit" to adjustments like this even though their prices are already 50% or so more higher than US prices) so please help me. Thanks.
04-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #304
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Do you have one? Do you have sales figures to indicate that it is not selling well?
Nope, I said "in my mind" which should imply that this is my opinion on these two items. Not meaning to insult anybody that has purchased a K-01, but for me the K-01 doesn't have me reaching for my wallet and the pricing policy is another turn-off.

04-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #305
Site Supporter

Well, it'll be interesting the next time I want to buy a Pentax lens. Yes, the advertised prices are higher but when I actually pull out the plastic to buy, what will the price be? I understand it may be a bit before we learn where the prices settle. But if there isn't much change my Pentax kit may be have reached completion. That means when the K-5 needs replacement, the whole kit may go.
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #306
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
OK, let's see... the K-01, the K-r replacement and the K-5 replacement for the bodies, right?
  1. K-r replacement
  2. K5n - K5 with better-than-K-01 video, Prime M and articulating LCD
  3. K-3 - 24Mp sensor and entirely new body - (not the K-5 body)
K-01 / K-02 / Q are an entirely different line frm the dSLRs - MILC's, which just makes the production issue in limited space in Vietnam and the Phillipines even more complex.

For the lenses... the DA 50 1.8, new 645 lenses and the DA 560, correct?
  1. XS lens line
  2. Q lenses
    1. Q > K adapter
  3. DA Lenses
    1. TC
  4. 645 lenses
Not an expert in manufacturing so I might as well ask, what do you mean by "when production is changed over and inventory rebuilt"? Do you mean re-tooling the factories or something similar to that?
Lenses are made in batches and held in inventory for shipping later by demand. They can be held for years (FA Limited, for instance). They are not made continuously like cars. Since much of the assembly is by hand of sub-assemblies, they have to retrain their workers each time they change batches. A lens is "discontinued" when held inventory runs out and there are no plans to make another batch. Retooling is for the elements and lens barrels and other parts, that may likely be sub-contracted to a supplier, who makes them in batches . . .
Could it be that, due to the rising popularity of Pentax products since the K-7 and K-x, lenses have actually been going short on most stores?
Pentax could be in a position where they would need to schedule production runs (order components, etc.) that they won't need / will discontinue under Ricoh. LaurenOE theorizes that Pentax needs to reduce demand until new products are introduced.
I'm trying to get over the shock here and find the justification (hoping my country won't be affected lol, but sellers here have this nasty tendency to "follow suit" to adjustments like this even though their prices are already 50% or so more higher than US prices) so please help me. Thanks.
The US distribution channel is definitely in disarray and the US dollar is definitely weak versus the Yen. To the extent your currency is also weak, your lens prices could rise. To the extent your distribution channel is not in disarray the likelihood of a similar "bitter pill" is lower.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-03-2012 at 08:15 PM.
04-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #307

Thank you to all forum members for sharing your insights, as I try to figure out the new pricing structure. I just purchased a k-5 last week from B& H who has consistently earned my business not on price alone, but on outstanding service. I earn 100% of my income from commercial photography for which I've used Canon full frame since the 1Ds, with L lenses, etc. I added the k-5 as my personal travel camera due to size, build and above all what I thought was an incredible value in the lens selection, especially with the DA limiteds.

I shot today in Zion N.P. with the k-5 and the kit lens and it was a joy to use. I came back to order at least the 40mm from B&H and find myself on this forum trying to make sense of the almost overnight crazy price increases. At the new prices, I really have a difficult time buying more into a system that seems to have such arbitrary pricing policies. I simply cannot believe that non-full frame, screw drive prime lenses made in Vietnam can be worth almost $600 a pop, let alone SDM lenses that now approach the price of Canon L glass. Not bashing the Pentax system at all, but just echoing what I think many users looking to buy into Pentax would think this week as opposed to last. Last week, I was tickled at the value of the k-5 and the apparent value of the entire Pentax lens lineup. Canon for me is a known quantity with a fantastic professional support network (CPN). Pentax I viewed as a brand with a decent historic reputation that offered compactness and value. I fear value is no longer part of the proposition. Thanks again for the awesome info.
04-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #308
Veteran Member

Owner of a K5 and this is sad news not just for the present but for the future if Pentax decides to stick to this pricing. I was very interested in their new DA* mid range zoom in their Lens Road Map, but if the pricing is consistent, then I'm looking at a lens that could cost upward of $1600.

04-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #309
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I just got an official response about this policy change:

"PENTAX RICOH will not discuss any conditions of acceptance related to this Policy.”

It is what it is.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #310
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

"PENTAX RICOH will not discuss any conditions of acceptance related to this Policy.

It is what it is.
They probably have to take this approach of blanket response so they can wait until the heat dies down. Give it 6 months and they might be little more approachable on their discussions about policy
04-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #311

It is what it is.
Hah! Well, I hope they have a really really big surprise for all of us in the upcoming future.
04-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #312
Pentaxian

"PENTAX RICOH will not discuss any conditions of acceptance related to this Policy.

It is what it is.
So sad.... luckily I bought 60-250, 200, & 55 couple months ago...
But I still want my 15, 40, & 70.....
04-03-2012, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #313
Forum Member

very informative...
04-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #314
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
They probably have to take this approach of blanket response so they can wait until the heat dies down. Give it 6 months and they might be little more approachable on their discussions about policy
Ever since they brought new PR staff on board, at least we can communicate directly Undoubtedly they must be hiding something, though...

In addition, it seems both sony and nikon have implemented similar policies...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #315
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
I also agree that I think it was the only response that they could have given with the current circumstances. I don't even expect them to hold a discussion 6 months from now. Their business model isn't a democracy. You can't discuss pricing policies and make everyone happy. While I don't like the price increase and I understand the anger, I don't expect them to hold customer consultations for pricing. If the business is a publicly traded company then their responsibility is to the shareholders and making profit for them. The way we give our input is by voting with our wallets. If we don't like their pricing we don't buy and that will force them to listen. Market forces people.