Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #316

Adam, maybe we should have a poll of what is the maximum we would pay for particular lenses. Might as well see what our "sweet spot" might be because it went from being spoiled rotten to too expensive. Kinda like the netflix thing.

The 60-250 for example, $1200 was nice back in the day, but I'd be willing to pay $1500.

The 55 1.4, I could see $650.

etc.

04-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Undoubtedly they must be hiding something, though...
Haha Pentax have lead me to relate a quote I heard 'Hope is the first step along the road to disappointment' to my expectations of them.

Yes its a bit negative. But if you expect nothing, you will get nothing but surprises.
04-03-2012, 09:34 PM - 2 Likes   #318
Veteran Member

I think the saddest thing is it isn't like Pentax's prices are outrageous (maybe they are for the quality of the lenses but that's debatable). They're really more corrected to the what the rest of the market is selling its lenses at. Who out there is cheaper? Sony, Olympus, Nikon, and Canon all have pro zooms at that price or more expensive.

The reason I say that's sad because it really feels like we're leaving an era where a less well off person could buy a few good lenses and enjoy the best out of their camera. Sure you could leave Pentax, but is it just going to be the decision between what brand's camera you're going to put your Sigma and Tamron lenses on because that's all you can afford? Personally I can afford the lenses and already have quite a few good ones, but I feel bad for people just starting out now.

What I'm lamenting in this thread and I think others lamenting, too, is Pentax used to be a brand where you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get this nice image quality. It was quirky brand, sure, but the quality shined through. Now Pentax is just like everybody else, just arguably a little worse.

Ricoh better up their game. They won't lose me because quite frankly it's getting too expensive to switch brands, but I'll bet they'll lose others if things don't improve soon.
04-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #319
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Adam, maybe we should have a poll of what is the maximum we would pay for particular lenses. Might as well see what our "sweet spot" might be because it went from being spoiled rotten to too expensive. Kinda like the netflix thing. The 60-250 for example, $1200 was nice back in the day, but I'd be willing to pay $1500. The 55 1.4, I could see $650. etc.
Not a bad idea...I'll see what can be done

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Sony, Olympus, Nikon, and Canon all have pro zooms at that price or more expensive.
Pro zooms. I don't know any sports photographers using the 60-250.
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #321
Pentaxian

I'm jumping in rather late, just getting home from work, but have followed the thread on my phone during breaks. I'm as disturbed as anybody to see the prices rise. It might mean a couple more Sigmas it the prices hold. I say that because doesn't the market place eventually determine prices? If people just getting their tax refunds had plans to buy a lens or 2 and that money goes to Tamron or Sigma or for used ones on Ebay, then prices should drop. If people just pay up anyhow and sales aren't affected, then obviously we will have to live with higher prices. If those lenses sit on the shelves, then they will have to drop the pricing scheme or start offering rebates or something. The most effective protest is always a closed wallet.
04-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #322
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly enough, FA lenses price remained unchanged. DA70 and FA77 costs almost same now.

04-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Pro zooms. I don't know any sports photographers using the 60-250.
You're right. But most zooms they do use cost $2000+. Most of the pro photojournalists I know don't buy their own gear and use things like the Canon 300 f/2.8 L on the Canon 1D Mark 4 for shooting sports for newspapers. Great quality, but not in the same universe as affordable for most people.

Or let's look at the "cheap" semi pro alternative. Canon 7D + first version Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L. Roughly $3,000 altogether. Still really, really expensive for most people. That's my point, it's almost like they punish you for buying a company's brand lenses anymore.

With this said, I would agree of all the lenses, the 60-250 is the most absurdly overpriced. The very nice Canon 70-200 f/4 L is "only" $1350 on Amazon. The 70-300 f/4-5.6 L is $1500, etc. That's about the range that lens should be in.
04-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Ricoh better up their game. They won't lose me because quite frankly it's getting too expensive to switch brands, but I'll bet they'll lose others if things don't improve soon.
If prices remain high, it would actually be a great time to switch brands. For those who already have a nice collection, you could end up getting more than what you paid in the used market. For example, someone mentioned they bought a DA 16-50mm for $650 used before the price increases. Now, with the price of new being $1499.95, they could probably sell their used copy for $850 or more collecting a very nice profit. $850 used is still about 45% off from full retail, which most people would probably be more inclined to pay. Of course this is all my speculation, but if prices remain high on new, then this could be the new reality. The point is, those profits make it a lot easier to build up the funds for switching.
04-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #325
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What did I miss? What is this new pricing policy? Does it effect the 40mm XS or the 35mm f2.4?

Charles.
04-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #326
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
What did I miss? What is this new pricing policy? Does it effect the 40mm XS or the 35mm f2.4?

Charles.
See here:
Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #327

Photos: Gallery
Is it really crazy to suggest that this move might be followed, very soon, by a major announcement? A couple of family members with extensive retail experience told me, "Big price increases mean bad news", but they don't have experience with either the camera industry or the manufacturing sector. Isn't it premature to decide anything until at least a month or so has passed?
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #328
Veteran Member

I somehow understand them, but it was made far to brutal...

I started buying almost everything from B&H since prices in Poland and Russia were to high for the gear. By having this strict policy, they are making prices comparable thorough the world. So the Pentax EMEA will be increasing it's profits...
What I will do now, is to use the Tax Free/Tax Refund options and start buyin in Europe for my wife passport (she is Russian)...but anyway this causes the general dislike towards Pentax....
04-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax didn't raise the prices. B&H, Adorama, Amazon, Abe's and the other dealers raised the prices.

LaurenOE figured it out - they're completely revamping for coming new product introductions (cameras, lenses, accessories, services, structure - everything) and they HAVE to raise prices to slow the depletion of existing inventory. Oterwise they'll be OOS and that's worse.

[EDIT:] And Tamron, Sigma, Voigtlander and other secondary lens makers might re-start marketing in K-mount since Pentax isn't competing on price any more.

The resolution of this will be dramatic, that's for sure.
I'm not really sure about this. Can't they do it without stopping the production? What's so different, this time?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I just got an official response about this policy change:

"PENTAX RICOH will not discuss any conditions of acceptance related to this Policy.”

It is what it is.
The issue is not the policy itself, but prices jumping to MSRP. They aren't willing to discuss that, either? Maybe you should start bombarding them with congratulatory letters
04-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh my, what happened. Yesterday when I posted, it was only page 9, now it's 22?
I kind of get the gist of what's going on.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Pentax choice to price their product as they see fit. It's my choice to purchase the product. If they want to price themselves as a direct competitor to canikon, so be it. If they think they have as much name recogniction as canikon, and can justify the price so be it. It's a long way off til Photokina, I hope they have amazing products that will eclipse canikon, but if they don't...I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for coming up with this idea.

btw, when canikon introduced their newest products, they raised the price. Pentax introduced nothing and raised the price. Doesn't sound like the same game plan to me.
Closed Thread