Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #541
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price speculation never works out well for the buyer. If you need/want it and you can afford it today, buy it. If you don't or can't that won't change if the price triples Monday. If you are currently saving for it and you are a week or two away - and the price changes dramatically - that's really a drag. Sometimes life doesn't seem fair, but Pentax isn't taking it out on you. It is a business decision. It will work or it won't. Its a good decision or it isn't. We'll know when we know.

I once had a dishwasher that self-destructed two weeks after the warranty ran out. Too bad, so sad. I have a Subaru that lost a front wheel bearing 349 miles short of 50,000. The dealer really didn't want to fix it for free. Too bad. So sad.

If its a hobby to you, its a hobby. you are vertical today. Not having an FA43 won't make you prone tomorrow. If you are a real pro, its a tool. If you need this kind of lens and Pentax priced you out - bad business decision on their part - find the next best tool.

04-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a Subaru that lost a front wheel bearing 349 miles short of 50,000. The dealer really didn't want to fix it for free. Too bad. So sad.
That dealer's an idiot. Dealers make money on warranty repairs.
04-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #543
Banned

Never mind.

Last edited by AGWoodard; 04-07-2012 at 04:08 PM.
04-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #544

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Aren't Canon and Nikon global competitors, too? Perhaps even better at it than Pentax-Ricoh?
Yes, that is exactly my point. Pentax- Ricoh want to compete against them worldwide, not just in North America.

04-07-2012, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Yes, that is exactly my point. Pentax- Ricoh want to compete against them worldwide, not just in North America.
Amazon, US: Canon 70-200 f4: $698
Amazon, UK: Canon 70-200 f4: $762
Amazon, US: Pentax 60-250 f4: $1999 (Actually Adorama through Amazon, it appears as if Amazon is out of stock)
Amazon, UK: Pentax 60-250 f4: $1667

If you'd want to follow Canon as the 'leader', you'd want the selling price to be slightly cheaper in the US (VAT perhaps?).

Instead the US price for the Pentax is 186% more expensive than the closest equivalent Canon lens. Granted the Pentax has a bit longer reach, but that's still an inordinate increase both in US/UK and Pentax/Canon prices.
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #546
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If its a hobby to you, its a hobby. you are vertical today. Not having an FA43 won't make you prone tomorrow. If you are a real pro, its a tool. If you need this kind of lens and Pentax priced you out - bad business decision on their part - find the next best tool.
Everyone, I think it is time we closed this thread. We should also change how we feel. It seems like Monochrome has been telling us we should just accept this for a while now.
04-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #547
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Everyone, I think it is time we closed this thread. We should also change how we feel. It seems like Monochrome has been telling us we should just accept this for a while now.
well what can we do? Pentax just shoved it on our faces so there's nothing really left to do but accept the fact and hope for the best

04-07-2012, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #548
Veteran Member

Its said above that the new prices increase the profit margin available to the stores. Well, thats true if you sell product, but if you don't sell product, then the profit margin counts for nothing.

I hope Ricoh can make it since its not healthy to have fewer competitors in any market place. But if i don't see competitive products coming out of Ricoh, i won't hesitate to change. No more fanboy attitudes for me. I like the fact that they once again issued a lensmap, with lenses that made sense to me. To me the Q made no sense to me and only distracts from the true potential of Pentax. The K01 is an interesting idea but fell short of the mark, like Sonys early NEX models. The designer involvement is something i wouldn't have bragged about - a total negative to me.

If Ricoh wants to play hardball with the prices, fine, they get the same back from me.
04-07-2012, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #549

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
the Pentax is 186% more expensive than the closest equivalent Canon lens. Granted the Pentax has a bit longer reach, but that's still an inordinate increase both in US/UK and Pentax/Canon prices.
No argument that the Pentax 60-250 is now overpriced compared the competition. The point is that Pentax-Ricoh are clearly moving towards more consistent global pricing and distribution. This will no doubt also entail more dramatic price difference between their low-end consumer products and higher end (such as the 60-250).

So as the owner of a Pentax DSLR, your choice is not beween the Pentax or the Canon. It is between the pro grade DA* 60-250 or the consumer grade DA 55-300.

Edit: Just another thought; If I reflect on my own situation, I am locked into Pentax because 22 years ago when I bought my first SLR, the Pentax SF-10 was the cheapest and felt best to hold and it came with a cheap Sigma zoom. That is how you recruit new Pentaxians and build market share. But you make 80% of your profit from the 20% who are already locked into the k-mount and prepared to pay a premium for better quality.

Last edited by Kennod; 04-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.
04-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #550
Fly

Wow

I can't believe it. The 50-135 arrived at my house five days before this increase. This kind of thing never happens to me. I was debating between it and the 31 limited, and decided to go with the zoom to use for events when I couldn't move around. The 31 didn't move on its price. So far its a fabulous lens, but I should have bought a lottery ticket too.
04-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #551
Veteran Member

No argument that the Pentax 60-250 is now overpriced compared the competition. The point is that Pentax-Ricoh are clearly moving towards more consistent global pricing and distribution.
With VAT (I think 20% for UK?) the 60-250 is $1333 right now, not much different than the $1250 in the US that the 60-250 was. The global pricing is less consistent now. I'd gladly pay UK consumer prices if they'd pay my income tax rate.

So as the owner of a Pentax DSLR, your choice is not beween the Pentax or the Canon. It is between the pro grade DA* 60-250 or the consumer grade DA 55-300.
I can save $1400 from Canon on one lens. I can buy a 7D for that. Pentax now has prices that make it *cheaper* for me to switch systems - buy a camera and a lens - rather than to expand my Pentax lens collection.

Really. Right now I could sell my lens portfolio, buy a Nikon 'pro' system with D800, and have money left over in the bank. I'd have a physically larger and heavier system, sure. I'd give up some prime-IQ but that would be overwhelmed by FF-IQ.
04-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #552
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No argument that the Pentax 60-250 is now overpriced compared the competition. The point is that Pentax-Ricoh are clearly moving towards more consistent global pricing and distribution. This will no doubt also entail more dramatic price difference between their low-end consumer products and higher end (such as the 60-250).

Edit: Just another thought; If I reflect on my own situation, I am locked into Pentax because 22 years ago when I bought my first SLR, the Pentax SF-10 was the cheapest and felt best to hold and it came with a cheap Sigma zoom. That is how you recruit new Pentaxians and build market share. But you make 80% of your profit from the 20% who are already locked into the k-mount and prepared to pay a premium for better quality.
Pentax are not really a pro brand (except perhaps for MF). They are a brand for amateurs, enthusiasts, call them what you will. Setting pro pricing on a brand that people use for a hobby doesn't make much sense to me.
04-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #553
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is the opportunity we all have been waiting for. All signs are there; lame mirrorless, no FF, price hikes. It is time we all take a stand and jump ship. I am sure our pictures will improve as well. Let's do it. Let's switch brands.
04-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #554
Pentaxian

And with this, Pentax Ricoh's strategy becomes clear: "Let's get rid of all those for whom no matter what we do, it won't be good enough. They should be the first to jump ship if a momentarily price increase happens!".
Go, nobody is holding you back. If you're unhappy with Pentax or just wanting to jump ship, do it - no justification is needed. And with less time spent complaining, certainly your pictures will improve
Don't expect me to follow, though.
04-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #555
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think this is the opportunity we all have been waiting for. All signs are there; lame mirrorless, no FF, price hikes. It is time we all take a stand and jump ship. I am sure our pictures will improve as well. Let's do it. Let's switch brands.
Haha i like how you put "I'm sure our pictures will improve as well" like it wasn't the most important thing in the first place.

Personally I think that is a stupid idea. At least wait until photokina- if that is a disappointment then fair enough, but I think that there is a lot of promise for it.
Closed Thread