Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #661
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Easy: I know and trust those people (one can't say the same when talking about a site ). Even more, we don't generally abuse the "try and return" policy.
there is less reason to "Try and Return" when you can physically check out the camera. though I have to say people will still try and return (my retail experience is a lot of big screen tvs come back after major sporting events - ie superbowl, world cup etc and in wedding season we used to see a lot of camcorders go out and come back - less so now that they are cheap to own. Cameras at least slr type had very low return rates though maybe because the sale took longer and the client was more fully qualified on what they needed - something that never happens in an online sale)

04-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #662
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And reappeared as Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company. Yes, a real company
A subsidiary of Ricoh anyway you look at it.

Ricoh in the camera biz has always been about niche products and high-margins. They have rarely participated in the high volume, low margin schemes of the biz.

These pricing strategies are related to the Ricoh model, and not to Ricoh becoming something more like Canon or Nikon.

I suspect these price increases are an aberration. As sales fall, revenues will as well, with far more uncertain ordering patterns. This will force Ricoh head office to adjust margins and inventory closer to what consumers are willing to pay.

These current price hikes are retailers taking Pentax Ricoh literally to the detriment of sell-through. The retailers don't really care because they will simply sell another brand with more realistic price points. I do not see Pentax Ricoh having the volume to sway the market, so a dose of reality will set in. when? within 6 months. In the meantime, hang on to your shekels. I am.
04-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #663

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Retailers are selling lens at MSRP at present or close to it. That is an increase in price.
It's an increase in the price consumers are paying, but Pentax have not increased the prices of the lenses! As far as Pentax are concerned the 18 - 50 DA* has always been priced at $1499.95, it's just that various retailers choose to sell the lens $800 - $900.
04-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #664
Pentaxian

Aristophanes:
And before Hoya, they were practically owned by their shareholders (which actually made possible the hostile buy-out). Is there such a big difference? Pentax, as an entity, never ceased to exist.

By the way, do you know any reputable US cameras stores, carrying Pentax, which are not in holidays? I watch mostly BH and Adorama, but they're "MIA" until the next week.

04-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #665
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chiefsilverback Quote
It's an increase in the price consumers are paying, but Pentax have not increased the prices of the lenses! As far as Pentax are concerned the 18 - 50 DA* has always been priced at $1499.95, it's just that various retailers choose to sell the lens $800 - $900.
But who is behind the MSRP sales at present?
04-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Whoa. Why not buy somewhere abroad via the net then?
The lens goes for 170 EUR here and that includes 19% tax.
Ah, but the other leg of the unilateral pricing by companies that want a strong AD network is to prohibit their ADs from selling outside their designated zone. When I contacted Pentax Canada with a simple question I got no response whatsoever, until Pentax Imaging (US) responded out of the blue to the question (embarrassed it seemed that I had gone "abroad" to ask). That is similar to what we might expect on sales of Pentax gear, for example if you live in the UK you must buy from a UK distributor and distributors in the US, or Australia, or wherever will be bound by their AD agreement to refuse to sell to you. This pattern has been seen across a number of industries and is likely to be a part of Ricohtax's approach.

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.
04-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #667
Inactive Account

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ah, but the other leg of the unilateral pricing by companies that want a strong AD network is to prohibit their ADs from selling outside their designated zone. When I contacted Pentax Canada with a simple question I got no response whatsoever, until Pentax Imaging (US) responded out of the blue to the question (embarrassed it seemed that I had gone "abroad" to ask). That is similar to what we might expect on sales of Pentax gear, for example if you live in the UK you must buy from a UK distributor and distributors in the US, or Australia, or wherever will be bound by their AD agreement to refuse to sell to you. This pattern has been seen across a number of industries and is likely to be a part of Ricohtax's approach.
You are absolutely 100% correct, sir. Okay, O.J. said he was absolutely 100% not guilty, but in this case, I believe you....

I manage my company's website and online store, and I have been repeatedly informed of this policy being strictly exacted upon and enforced. I've had to go in and change my terms to illustrate exactly what you brought up. Korg USA (Vox and all their other subsidiaries) can not be sold overseas. And we are used to shipping all over the world.

That's such an excellent point, and I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.

Kudos!
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #668
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But who is behind the MSRP sales at present?
Then I guess the key is to see if Pentax will revise their MSRPs or provide instant rebates in the same way the k-5 is not $1599.

I could only hope for that - I want me a DA*55

04-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #669
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Then I guess the key is to see if Pentax will revise their MSRPs or provide instant rebates in the same way the k-5 is not $1599.

I'm sure we'll see something to that effect, or at least some offerings to make us happy.
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #670
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
I'm sure we'll see something to that effect, or at least some offerings to make us happy.
Preferably virgin offerings, if nothing else
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #671
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

What I was getting at regarding the lens prices is that who was setting the MSRP and forcing retailers to sell at that price? Did all the retailers get together and decide to put the wood to folks and not even give them a courtesy container of petroleum jelly?
04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #672
Pentaxian

What I was getting at regarding the lens prices is that who was setting the MSRP and forcing retailers to sell at that price? Did all the retailers get together and decide to put the wood to folks and not even give them a courtesy container of petroleum jelly?
I'm confused - the MSRP was originally defined by Pentax when the lens was first introduced. I'm not sure if the MSRP has changed ever since then.

It was the retailers that were selling the lenses are prices way below MSRP that defined the current pricing we are used to. What I am hoping for is Pentax to reduce the MSRP of their lenses to more appropriate levels - this would maintain their requirement of retailers while keeping the interests of consumers in mind.

If they don't, then no one is going to buy another DA*60-250 or DA*50-135.
04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
You are absolutely 100% correct, sir. Okay, O.J. said he was absolutely 100% not guilty, but in this case, I believe you....

I manage my company's website and online store, and I have been repeatedly informed of this policy being strictly exacted upon and enforced. I've had to go in and change my terms to illustrate exactly what you brought up. Korg USA (Vox and all their other subsidiaries) can not be sold overseas. And we are used to shipping all over the world.

That's such an excellent point, and I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.

Kudos!
Thank you. It seemed to me so obvious that it did not need repeating until I saw that the premise of many posts was that you could just jump across national boundaries to find cheaper pricing. There are industries such as high-end watches in which this policy is so draconian that retailers are scared of both loosing their AD status and being black balled by other high-end sellers if it is violated for a different brand. Rolex is the most notorious in that regard among the watch makers.
04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #674
Loyal Site Supporter

at those prices they could afford to give you the fancy warming KY stuff
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #675
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
at those prices they could afford to give you the fancy warming KY stuff

Hysterical