Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
At all??? not even for canikon??? no Best buy even??
No, no camera stores. BB doesn't count, they've never had anything in the local one other than standard zooms for Canon, Nikon, and Sony. Plus they're closing the closest one to us. I equate BB and their level of knowledge and service with regard to photography with WalMart, so if you want to be incredibly technical about it - yes, we have several Walmarts nearby that carry Nikon and Canon and SuperTarget stores that do as well. As for an actual CAMERA store, nope because KEH does not count as they will not sell out of their physical location you can only order on the phone or online, no touching before buying with them

03-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The key is for Brick and Mortar shops to stay in business. If they are in red ink, that isn't gong to happen. They have to be able to sell Pentax by promoting it themselves in addition to Pentax and give customers that there is a support network.
Too true, because PentaxImaging is completely incompetent in advertising Pentax in the US. Just visit their website if you doubt that statement.
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah your in Atlanta, I heard it was a dead zone. Unfortunately the way the tax system works down there for years mail order and online retailers have been rewarded with sales because people could avoid taxes. add in the ability to sell at razor thin margins due to a lower cost of operation basically drove the B&M guys out of business in the US. I hate to say it but this is pretty much the fault of flawed tax laws and people not supporting the local guy over the long haul. it's a hard model to change.
I think the pricing policy will help get back some of the surviving retailers and encourage more local shopping though so there is a long term advantage
03-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
No, it is not. Capitalism in any country lives in a system of rules or otherwise nobody will like the result. Which is why there is legislation what vendors can tell dealers to do. Or what warranties customers have to receive. Etc.

And we care because it makes a difference if our money goes to Pentax or online billionairs. The difference is in future products Pentax can develop.

And fixed prices will have the effect I mentioned. Except if Pentax doesn't sell to B&H & Co. anymore or only at a higher price. Both are not going to happen of course. No way. IMHO, a fixed price policy only makes sense the way Apple is living it.
Pentax Ricoh Imaging will operate and compete under the exact same system of rules and regulation Canon and Nikon and Sony and Olympus do. Pentax will manage its brand as it chooses within those identical rules, including pricing and distributing its products as it chooses, not as a retailer dictates it shall (to the extent permissible under the law). Pricing, distribution and product management are part of brand management, which is part of a long-term strategy to grow the enterprise. Nothing more, nothing less.

We do not know the rest of the retail pricing and distribution strategy yet; we do not know the rest of the wholesale pricing strategy yet; we do not know the rest of the co-op, rep coverage, network support, service, pro support, professional products in design phase, advertising, marketing, capital commitment, goals, targets objectives, how they all fit together into a cohesive plan - or anything else - yet.

Throwing up "internet-billionaire" straw men and knocking them down contributes nothing to the conversation.

03-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #65
Site Supporter

Ah your in Atlanta, I heard it was a dead zone. Unfortunately the way the tax system works down there for years mail order and online retailers have been rewarded with sales because people could avoid taxes. add in the ability to sell at razor thin margins due to a lower cost of operation basically drove the B&M guys out of business in the US. I hate to say it but this is pretty much the fault of flawed tax laws and people not supporting the local guy over the long haul. it's a hard model to change.
I think the pricing policy will help get back some of the surviving retailers and encourage more local shopping though so there is a long term advantage
Docrwm may be. I am in Tallahassee, Florida. Atlanta is the biggest market area followed by Jacksonville. That is why I mentioned Atlanta. I think there MAY be some stores in Tampa or Miami that sell Pentax. They are 250 and 400+ miles away respectively.
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only way to get Pentax for many of us in the U.S. is through Adorama or BH if you want any kind of support.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Throwing up "internet-billionaire" straw men and knocking them down contributes nothing to the conversation.
Obviously, it does.

Are you all blind or what?

Anyway, I said what I had to say. Esp. that Pentax would have to create their own top-notch corporate online store first. I prefer to live in a country with fewer internet-billionaires but better service. But it is your country, so I'll shut up now.
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The whole point of the Colgate pricing system is to avoid grey market pricing by main street retailers. Electronics companies are using them to avoid price shopping online, that is by far the primary reason.

Will it raise prices? No. That is a fallacy. The price will be determined by the demand. Instead of retailers gauging "local" demand (a dead concept in the online market) and setting prices in response, Pentax will manage supply globally and hopefully control pricing.

But it rarely works out that a centralized price structure can control inventory, so despite unilaterals, big box stores will over order, and then request permission to have a sale. They still need their loss leaders and they foster weekly brand competition (like Wal Mart). And they get it because they still dominate channels and have superior regional forecasting than some Pentax guy in Tokyo or Ned wherever he is.

As for smaller retailers unilaterals are no better or worse from the evidence I have seen. It has not stopped the disappearance of Main St. brick and mortar stores. What it is intended to do is halt Amazon's inexorable market presence. Why have Amazon set your global price presence?

The real disruption occurs when current and future stock collide, but that passes soon enough. If prices do rise, don't buy. It has always been thus and it will even out in the longer term.
03-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Obviously, it does.

Are you all blind or what?

Anyway, I said what I had to say. Esp. that Pentax would have to create their own top-notch corporate online store first. I prefer to live in a country with fewer internet-billionaires but better service. But it is your country, so I'll shut up now.
Are you deaf? Adorama and BH are brick and mortar stores and are a couple of the largest you will find. They have always had mail order which evolved into internet sales. However, they are about 1000 miles from my house. There are no options in my area or even in Atlanta 375 miles away. We need B & M to be developed to have Pentax available. Otherwise, if Pentax gets taken out of the picture via phone or internet sales from New York, I won't be able to buy new Pentax gear. New York State is about 56,241 square miles which is nearly half the size of Germany. That puts logistics in a different perspective. For me to go to BH or Adorama, it would be about like you driving to Rome. I am betting if that was your only option, you would switch to Nikon.

03-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I thought Munich and Rome were fairly close?
03-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Yup, checked it, 580 miles (937 km)
03-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Yup, checked it, 580 miles (937 km)
O.k. Rome is almost 2x as far as from Tallahassee to NY. I saw the 937 but it was showing it in miles on the site I used. I used that to illustrate a spatial relationship.
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #72
Veteran Member

O.k. Rome is almost 2x as far as from Tallahassee to NY. I saw the 937 but it was showing it in miles on the site I used. I used that to illustrate a spatial relationship.
Clarification: Rome is 1/2 as far.

I like maps, so I checked it out: Tallahassee to NY is roughly the same as Munich to Istanbul, or Munich to Edinburgh, or Munich to Minsk.
03-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #73
Veteran Member

This thread has gone from bad to worse lol
03-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Our local photo places were just plain braindead in how they operated. Basically it was take what I tell you to and like it back in the 80s. I started ordering via phone and catalog from NYC long before the internet because of those attitudes and prices. More often than not, if there is no free shipping, taxes here are low enough that the tradeoff between taxes and shipping is often a wash - so that has not been a major factor in my purchasing.
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh dear, what did I do? (sitting in my car driving to Rome now )

Maybe, the thread is derailed enough to say this much though ... I proposed Pentax to create an own excellent online service along the lines of the Apple store. Not that people drive from Tallahassee to NYC.

(Although, I already did it the other way round and it was a nice trip )