Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #751
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
. . .

I'm not ready to envision a pro photographer doing weddings with an iPhone regardless of its capabilities, and people feeling like they need a pro-like camera, will imitate the professional look. It's the same reason people still buy simple amp tube amp circuits and guitars designed and basically unchanged from more than 50 years ago. It's all about what having fun by fulfilling your ego is all about.

In other words, we sell Fender guitars and other high end models to guys that will never make it out of their bedroom. Why? Because they want something that makes them feel professional. They figure, if they have the pro gear, they will become pro players. As advanced as digital technology has become, and how realistically similar a solid state device can mimic the sound and feel of a tube amp, only a small portion of people will buy into it. Sure, they might initially, but once people blow their wad and smoke their cigarette, they go back to buying Strats, Les Pauls and tube amps, while their cheap (or expensive) modelling convenience collects dust because they no longer play it, and they can't sell it because no one wants to buy it. Object to this all you want, but our business (instrument retail) thrives on this principal. Being in Nashville, we cater to many professionals, but the bulk of our customer base spending money on the most expensive stuff in the store is some guy you've never heard of, and most likely never will.

Again, a small phone will be capable of many things, but I don't expect to see anyone mounting a Zeiss lens on a Blackberry. And beginners wanting to look and feel the part of being a serious photographer (inject ego here) will continue to buy in the like image of the serious cameras.

Don't get me wrong, the technology out there and what is sure to come is producing some amazing stuff, and there's no doubt compact size and ease of use has its appeal. It's just there are many people seeking to move beyond that and enjoy having manual controls you can get to quickly instead of endlessly scrolling through an integrated menu.
most dSLR people drag them around either on a strap or in a sling bag etc. I actually wear bags out. You don't see many people running around with Fenders or Gibson's.

04-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #752
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
most dSLR people drag them around either on a strap or in a sling bag etc. I actually wear bags out. You don't see many people running around with Fenders or Gibson's.
Not? I just picked my son up from guitar practice today, and he was definitely wearing his Fender over his shoulder when he approached me! No, wait, it's actually a Squire Stratocaster, so you're right
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #753
Inactive Account

Then you definitely have never been to Nashville. However, if you are, you better look me up, or I'll be insulted. We even make Double Bags so people can carry two guitars on their shoulders....In fact, you're out of place if you're in Nashville and aren't carrying a guitar on your back.
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #754
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Not? I just picked my son up from guitar practice today, and he was definitely wearing his Fender over his shoulder when he approached me! No, wait, it's actually a Squire Stratocaster, so you're right

Yes, but who's Squire's Daddy? It starts with an F and ends with ender.

04-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #755
Inactive Account

Hey. Wait a minute....Something's happening to me. I'm beginning to make posts and keep them under 5 pages long. There may be hope for me after all!
04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #756
Veteran Member

He's into Korean Techno music this month (a move from Japanese music last month). He's my Soccer/Musician guy. With his blond hair and blue eyes I'm worried about how things are going to go for him (not).
04-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #757
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Your operative there is "guitar practice." People walk around during street photography, fairs, car shows, tractor shows etc etc. Guitarists on the other hand are typically performing in a show or are troubadours at those things.

Last edited by Blue; 04-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #758
Site Supporter

Then you definitely have never been to Nashville. However, if you are, you better look me up, or I'll be insulted. We even make Double Bags so people can carry two guitars on their shoulders....In fact, you're out of place if you're in Nashville and aren't carrying a guitar on your back.
I have been to Nashville too many times. And the majority of those jokers carry them for looks and couldn't even carry Waylon's or Ed King's guitar. But you were the one that said guitars stay in folk's bedroom.

QuoteQuote:
n other words, we sell Fender guitars and other high end models to guys that will never make it out of their bedroom. Why? Because they want something that makes them feel professional.
My point was that most higher end dSLR cameras do make it out of the bed room. (I know lets not go there).
04-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #759
Inactive Account

I have been to Nashville too many times. And the majority of those jokers carry them for looks and couldn't even carry Waylon's or Ed King's guitar. But you were the one that said guitars stay in folk's bedroom.

My point was that most higher end dSLR cameras do make it out of the bed room. (I know lets not go there).

No, no, now....Wait a minute....Yes, yes, yes....Now you're seeing the point....The jokers lugging around the cool looking products are doing so because??? Well, isn't that what many photographer wannabes do? For those people, is it more impressive to walk around with a fancy DSLR or a cute 'lil iPhone? Well, the iPhone will be used, but I'm still not picturing a serious photographer (and the many that deem themselves serious) feeling right about not using the "good stuff". The bedroom was an analogy to the many people purchasing higher end DSLRs, yet will never use anything beyond the kit lens, and a few snap shots at Disney World, however, when they were shopping for a camera, they wanted "the best" and wouldn't settle for a gadget.

Ed King. He's still up in Kentucky. I sold him a Carr Rambler a few years ago. He can still pick a few notes....
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's my son's now. He fancies himself a musician this week......
And mine has my 1961 Martin D-18. Sigh ..... I wouldn't play it enough to do it justice - it's in the right hands for now.
04-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #761
Site Supporter

No, no, now....Wait a minute....Yes, yes, yes....Now you're seeing the point....The jokers lugging around the cool looking products are doing so because??? Well, isn't that what many photographer wannabes do? For those people, is it more impressive to walk around with a fancy DSLR or a cute 'lil iPhone? Well, the iPhone will be used, but I'm still not picturing a serious photographer (and the many that deem themselves serious) feeling right about not using the "good stuff". The bedroom was an analogy to the many people purchasing higher end DSLRs, yet will never use anything beyond the kit lens, and a few snap shots at Disney World, however, when they were shopping for a camera, they wanted "the best" and wouldn't settle for a gadget.

Ed King. He's still up in Kentucky. I sold him a Carr Rambler a few years ago. He can still pick a few notes....

True. There are a lot of Canikon folk that thing the purchase of a dSLR gives the immediate supper powers of Eddie Adams.
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #762
Inactive Account

True. There are a lot of Canikon folk that thing the purchase of a dSLR gives the immediate supper powers of Eddie Adams.

Heh heh heh...Now you're onto what I was insinuating through miles and miles of continuous run-on ranting.....And I really feel for the guys down on the sales floor when these super stars, nobody has ever heard of, play as loud as they can for hours on end, in the hopes they'll be discovered. At least digital cameras are offering silent shutters...
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #763
Site Supporter

Heh heh heh...Now you're onto what I was insinuating through miles and miles of continuous run-on ranting.....And I really feel for the guys down on the sales floor when these super stars, nobody has ever heard of, play as loud as they can for hours on end, in the hopes they'll be discovered. At least digital cameras are offering silent shutters...
I can short the heck out of guitar. I can drive feral cats wild for miles and miles and miles. Hysterical Just call me Guitarzan.

04-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #764
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
This misses the point. Instagram were there first and have established enormous market share growth. This is what Facebook have bought and there is no equivalent. Re-implementing the software will not convert the existing customers.

Projections show that market share for phones in the photography sector will continue to go through the roof. Point'n'shoot cameras are dying. Likewise, tablets will cannibalise laptop sales. In both cases mobile apps are the winners for mind share.

Facebook is very likely getting their money's worth.
Market share with no revenues!

Technically, that's not a market because there is no exchange of value.

Instagram may get the "rights" to license your photo. A few billion of those per year and the fun will fade away.

Paying $1 billion for customers who would likely already be FB users is redundant. Many analysts are scratching their heads over this one...with good reason. It's $1 billion chasing a product with no cash flow.
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #765
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Market share with no revenues!

Technically, that's not a market because there is no exchange of value.

Instagram may get the "rights" to license your photo. A few billion of those per year and the fun will fade away.

Paying $1 billion for customers who would likely already be FB users is redundant. Many analysts are scratching their heads over this one...with good reason. It's $1 billion chasing a product with no cash flow.

Late 90's all over again?
Closed Thread