Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #826
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
Answer: applaud !

04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #827
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
What do we do when the worker is NSFW?
What do we do when the worker is NSFH?
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #828
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
As of Friday, 4/13 Amazon itself is listing the DA 60-250mm f/4 for $1720 USD. Yes, that is Amazon itself, not a partner seller. Is this the start of the thaw???

Still way too early to pounce, far too much money for this lens. Hopefully there's still some distance yet to fall before things stabilize. Hopefully there won't be a buying frenzy at this price point.

Here's hoping.
I had commented on that in another thread too. Amazon has the most sophisticated inventory and price management software around in my experience with changes in commodity prices from minute to minute at times. My guess is that I was absolutely correct that the $2k price resulted in a big 0 in sales and that the computer software has started to make adjustments in order to keep inventory flowing out the door.
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #829
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What do we do when the worker is NSFH?
Blame it on the shipping company. :Hysterical:
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
rofl


That is one of the pics I was thinking of when I wrote that!

04-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #830
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,416
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I had commented on that in another thread too. Amazon has the most sophisticated inventory and price management software around in my experience with changes in commodity prices from minute to minute at times. My guess is that I was absolutely correct that the $2k price resulted in a big 0 in sales and that the computer software has started to make adjustments in order to keep inventory flowing out the door.
Which probably means they're allowed to
04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #831
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Which probably means they're allowed to
I wonder if there is any actual contract regarding price, it would seem that for there to be it would violate various price fixing and anti-trust laws in the US. If not, then they have had stock build up and are selling it at lower prices to lower inventory. Again, $2k = 0 sales = 0 profits vs. $1719 = some sales (7 listed as in stock) = some profit - seems a no brainer to me to lower the price under those conditions.
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #832
Veteran Member
AlphaGAK20D's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 303
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I wonder if there is any actual contract regarding price, it would seem that for there to be it would violate various price fixing and anti-trust laws in the US. If not, then they have had stock build up and are selling it at lower prices to lower inventory. Again, $2k = 0 sales = 0 profits vs. $1719 = some sales (7 listed as in stock) = some profit - seems a no brainer to me to lower the price under those conditions.
Similarly, the 50-135 has dropped in price, from ~$1600 to $1150 - still higher that a 7-10 days ago, but much more palatable.
04-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #833
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
Similarly, the 50-135 has dropped in price, from ~$1600 to $1150 - still higher that a 7-10 days ago, but much more palatable.
Just checked and Buy.Com has it for $999 from ProDigital. The $1149 price at Amazon is from Emmy Photo.

04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #834
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 73
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I had commented on that in another thread too. Amazon has the most sophisticated inventory and price management software around in my experience with changes in commodity prices from minute to minute at times. My guess is that I was absolutely correct that the $2k price resulted in a big 0 in sales and that the computer software has started to make adjustments in order to keep inventory flowing out the door.

Another thought is by spiking their lens prices and then doing a drop after only 2 weeks, buyers would jump on them out of fear they may go up again.....Probably not, but just a thought.

I'm in your camp, in that Ricoh noticed a big 0 that seemed elongated and expanded horizontally at the bottom, resembling a huge middle finger....

I wonder if we'll see the prices drop even more???

Last edited by oklahomakid93; 04-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #835
Veteran Member
AlphaGAK20D's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 303
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just checked and Buy.Com has it for $999 from ProDigital. The $1149 price at Amazon is from Emmy Photo.
Hadn't checked Buy.com - thanks for this tip - and yes, was aware the Amazon purchase is via Emmy Photo (never heard of her - is she the scantily clad woman in one of the earlier posts?
04-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #836
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
Hadn't checked Buy.com - thanks for this tip - and yes, was aware the Amazon purchase is via Emmy Photo (never heard of her - is she the scantily clad woman in one of the earlier posts?
If it is her, that means shipping will be $550. That could put a whole new meaning in "over night" shipping.
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #837
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
What do we do when the worker is NSFW?
If the picture of the lady above pushing the boxes is not suitable for the place you work, I can only say that must be a very crap job
04-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #838
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,416
It's remarkably similar with the "Important" work e-mails I keep receiving, only with more clothing

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-13-2012 at 01:56 PM.
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #839
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
Another thought is by spiking their lens prices and then doing a drop after only 2 weeks, buyers would jump on them out of fear they may go up again.....Probably not, but just a thought.

I'm in your camp, in that Ricoh noticed a big 0 that seemed elongated and expanded horizontally at the bottom, resembling a huge middle finger....

I wonder if we'll see the prices drop even more???
Well, they did generate a run on them buy telegraphing to Adam the coming rise in prices. That meant that several outfits had many lenses listed as Temporarily Out of Stock. Now that many are back in stock a quick drop might result in another burst of sales - its called pumping sales and its a definite no-no if you want to keep your customers long-term.
04-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #840
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The lens for the Leica was called the Pentax SMC Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Special. It was based on the optics of the 43 LTD and had a matching optical view finder. Obviously, it was manual focus. A couple of years ago, it could still be had for ~ $650. If I had an M9, I would have been all over it like a lime green suite on a used car salesman.
Here is a review of it.

Pentax SMC Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Special leica L mount lens w/43/50 viewfinder, black Mint- - Classic Connection Store
Yep, lovely lens it is, and I got one of these for my M8. The viewfinder is also awesome.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
amazon, mean, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, policy, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q pricing excanonfd Pentax Q 74 09-26-2011 05:48 PM
Pentax SMC 200mm A* f2.8 Pricing advice LennyBloke Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 09-08-2011 06:56 AM
Pentax K7 Pricing A.M.92 Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 01-22-2011 10:19 AM
Policy on K5 sensors? hut234 Ask B&H Photo! 7 12-18-2010 05:21 AM
USA Pricing vs Canada Pricing Babbs Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 11-18-2010 05:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top