Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The net result of all of the changes just confirms my decision and encourages me to continue to enjoy my K10 and K20 and the lenses that I have accumulated over the years since I went digital. At some time in the future, I may buy a K5, but that will be after the prices do come down ( and I firmly believe they eventually will).

Ed

04-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Ugh... if this pricing scheme isn't a joke.. then I'm going to just get that k-5 tomorrow on Amazon if they still have it at 1k..
Hard to tell - Amazon has it today for $979 (not from a reseller) - might be a gamble to wait until tomorrow......
04-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hard to tell - Amazon has it today for $979 (not from a reseller) - might be a gamble to wait until tomorrow......
I'll take that chance

Or I'll take the next low-shutter count used k-5 put on the market.. *sigh*
04-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only Pentax retailer in New York outside of NYC is in Buffalo. That's only 220 kilometers and $6.00 in tolls one way.
There's a 2-store camera dealer on Long Island that stocks some Pentax DSLR gear. Berger Brothers; I just did a search at pentaximaging.com using ZIP 11743 and confirmed they show up as an official dealer. Granted, that's only ~50km outside NYC (and east) so doesn't do anything to fill the huge gap upstate. Albany and Syracuse have zero dealers.

04-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm hoping that these elevated lens prices are just price-gouging attempts by dedicated camera stores (we have to sell at MSRP!), and that places like Amazon will settle the prices.

Otherwise, there's a good chance I'm moving to Nikon later this year.
04-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Please, please just tell us this is April 1!
04-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Things are in flux right now and I don't think it's price gouging. Adorama and BH have gone with the same MSRP prices as on pentaximaging.com. Adorama and BH have always been competitive with Amazon and an attempt to gouge would send more sales to Amazon. It remains to be seen how the new policy trickles down to Amazon. If Pentax cuts off their supply or forces prices to increase (by a whopping 50% on the 100 macro and 60-250), that may make the new MSRP pricing stick. End result may encourage local dealers (good) but push potential new customers to other brands (bad).

Maybe Pentax will lower their MSRP come Monday?

04-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These aren't the Unilateral Prices. These are the old MSRP prices. PRI USA will release the new Unilateral Prices tomorrow or the next day. Amazon is just selling their stock without raising their prices because they work 24/7.
04-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't know what the MSRP's were... hopefully by tomorrow things will settle.
04-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Well It'll be interesting to see how this impacts canadian dealer pricing. Our most aggressive dealers are usually responding to US Pricing. One thing I do know is it won't affect Prodigital2000 pricing for the moment since they are canadian not American.(so all you Americans who buy from them are in effect buying grey market just like all the Canadians doing the same from US retailers are doing the same.
Certainly the pricing BH bounced to today will not be the Pricing that it settles to. If it is then I imagine the Canadian online retailers will see a huge surge in sales to the US
I imagine you will see pricing like 1099 on the K5 (It is still available up here for 955 BTW until they adapt to the new pricing in the US)
04-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #116
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As of this moment:

Adorama: $1099 Pentax K5 K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body 16.3 MP CMOS, 1080p HD, Black #14748 14748
B&H $1,327.82: Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Black) 14748 B&H

Wonder how they arrived at that figure...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These aren't the Unilateral Prices. These are the old MSRP prices. PRI USA will release the new Unilateral Prices tomorrow or the next day. Amazon is just selling their stock without raising their prices because they work 24/7.
i hope so. Looks like the DA 40mm is back to msrp...
04-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well it is 11.5% less than $1,499.95.

Do you suppose they are allowed a margin on wholesale cost - and Adorama got it right but B&H got it backwards?
04-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #119
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's probably what you originally said- they are just going off of MSRP (or something based on that) until they're back in the office. But you never know, so I'll ask...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2012, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. I just logged onto my B&H account and figured there must be some kind of mistake when I saw the DA* 16-50mm at $1,499. After checking a few other sites, I knew something bad was going on. I knew I'd find the answer here! I understand what Ricoh is trying to, perhaps risking the loss of some customers now to get into brick-and-mortars for the long run, and all I can say is that I hope it works out for them. I still think Pentax is the brand for me, but I can't help but find my loyalty starting to waver a bit. Pentax's system has features that make it special and unique, particularly the compact Limited lenses. It's a perfect package for my habits. I mostly shoot while traveling (which isn't too often) and around the house.

Like a lot of members, I was excited by this morning's announcement, and the K-3 joke was a bit much. I mean, not like I was ready to jump out the window after realizing it was a joke, but I had started to think about how I was going to raise the money to buy one. What a letdown.

I guess what has me doubting today is that there's more to a camera brand than technical specifications. Stability matters. We've been through a lot. We've wondered whether Pentax would survive. We've dealt with the inability to find accessories in a Canon/Nikon world. We've dealt with the condescending looks and comments from people about our 'toys'. Price for the feature set was something we had over the other makers. Now we'll still have great features like in-body stabilization and the compact lenses, but the price advantage may be gone. I'm curious to see what happens with prices, but unless they're really close to what they were a week ago, I don't think I'll ever buy another lens. I still pine for the K-5, and I'd love to have it for my vacation in three weeks. Today it's $979. If I could afford it, I'd order it immediately. Would I order it in four months, when I've got some money saved, for $1,099? No way. Actually, if the used value of some of my lenses just jumped, it tends to push me toward abandoning the brand.

Maybe it seems like good business to try to get into stores like Best Buy, and I still hear people who I otherwise think are pretty bright talking about buying some piece of consumer electronics at Best Buy, but things WILL change. They are changing. You can only sell a TV for $1199+tax while Amazon sells it for $799 out the door for so long. People reaching adulthood now are plugged in and networked. The invisible hand is really empowered now to do its thing, and the only things that stand in its way are governments and companies stupid enough to employ MAP pricing. Trying to get a piece of a dying model by forcing the model of the future to raise its prices is a cheap stunt that is pennywise and pound-foolish.

I like buying new 'big boy toys'. I can't do it if the makers poke me in the eye. You can't just raise prices to help out bad stores in a dying business model. Now it's time to take a much harder look at what the other makers have to offer, and I'm doubly sad. I love Pentax, but I need them to want me as a customer.

ETA: It would be interesting to see this litigated. Since Leegin Creative Leather Products, it's a legal practice in the U.S., but what's interesting is that here, Adorama, Amazon and B&H arguably have a lot more market power than Pentax's photo division. In other words, those three retailers could have thrown Pentax's RPM letter in the garbage, and Pentax would not have dropped them. This smacks of collusion on the retailer side. While a case against Pentax would fail, one against the largest camera retailers might not.

PS: is "Unilateral Pricing" the real name of the scheme? If so, it's kind of humorous for them to actually employ a term that sounds more like a price imposed by a government that centrally controls the economy (without critical pricing information), rather than one found in a putative market.

Last edited by Glarus; 04-02-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Closed Thread