Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I just got an official response about this policy change:

"PENTAX RICOH will not discuss any conditions of acceptance related to this Policy.”

It is what it is.
Wonderful. I'll give them until Photokina to announce something. If they don't, I'm changing systems unless I'm able to afford a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 by then.

04-03-2012, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could it be that Pentax just don't want you to buy any of their stuff because some of you complain about everything no matter what they do?
04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I think the saddest thing is it isn't like Pentax's prices are outrageous (maybe they are for the quality of the lenses but that's debatable). They're really more corrected to the what the rest of the market is selling its lenses at. Who out there is cheaper? Sony, Olympus, Nikon, and Canon all have pro zooms at that price or more expensive.

The reason I say that's sad because it really feels like we're leaving an era where a less well off person could buy a few good lenses and enjoy the best out of their camera. Sure you could leave Pentax, but is it just going to be the decision between what brand's camera you're going to put your Sigma and Tamron lenses on because that's all you can afford? Personally I can afford the lenses and already have quite a few good ones, but I feel bad for people just starting out now.

What I'm lamenting in this thread and I think others lamenting, too, is Pentax used to be a brand where you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get this nice image quality. It was quirky brand, sure, but the quality shined through. Now Pentax is just like everybody else, just arguably a little worse.

Ricoh better up their game. They won't lose me because quite frankly it's getting too expensive to switch brands, but I'll bet they'll lose others if things don't improve soon.
EXACTLY!!
They can probably continue to suck our money since we addicted to lenses like smoker addicted to cigarette, but for new comer? sad.
04-03-2012, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Could it be that Pentax just don't want you to buy any of their stuff because some of you complain about everything no matter what they do?
We complain about everything, that's what we do. That's why it's a forum for discussion. If we didn't disagree, we wouldn't have a conservation...

04-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #335

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Well, they succeed on an entirely new level since I didn't even buy anything and I'm complaining.
04-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #336
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
[EDIT:] And Tamron, Sigma, Voigtlander and other secondary lens makers might re-start marketing in K-mount since Pentax isn't competing on price any more.

The resolution of this will be dramatic, that's for sure.
It would be interesting if this does make third parties to take K-mount more seriously in the future. If Pentax can actually pull off a new body that makes people drool over, this backlash will probably go away with time. Otherwise, this can be trouble.
04-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
EXACTLY!!
They can probably continue to suck our money since we addicted to lenses like smoker addicted to cigarette, but for new comer? sad.
I don't know how they will compete for new customers. People barely know who Pentax is. Pentax has always been an enthusiast brand, appealing to the advanced amateur with a strong bang for your buck value.
The market is also heavily biased toward canikon. It's going to be very interesting to see how they will attack this issue.

Maybe the Unilateral Pricing Policy is their approach to this problem. Maybe I'm blind, but I just don't see how raising the pricing will gardner more market share, profits, name recognition or new customers.

We are definitely living in interesting times.

04-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #338

how much the 560mm gona be with that new politic ...?
04-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #339

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
how much the 560mm gona be with that new politic ...?

Take the maximum you are thinking this lens worth. Then double the price, and you got an answer! Welcome to the new US pricing policy.
04-04-2012, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #340
Forum Member

I like Pentax, I really do. I chose Pentax(2 k-x, da 16-50 and da50-135) because of price/performance. Been shooting since 2009. This policy is in line with what Canon and Nikon are doing(read it in the blogs) The reason is simple, U.S. Qualitative Easing chipping away purchasing power on imports and other world governments chipping away purchasing power as well. (what do you think all those Bailouts effects are having from years ago)Years of individuals telling themselves "I don't need an upgrade", now the companies are pricing their items out of react that its leading consumers think about "Do I really need this marginal upgrade?" And sadly, every time I shoot and someone notices my gear, I always feel I have to justify it and compare it to Canon or Nikon. You say "Canon or Nikon" and people think your a professional, when I say "Pentax" people don't relate it professional, they see a big white lens or a camera that has a red stripe. Gonna start saving money for a big white lens or a red stripe camera. SAVE UP AND BUY USED GEAR. or capitalize on buyers remorse. Or just wait until Christmas time when prices go pretty low, I noticed that every year.
04-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #341
Veteran Member

Something strange is happening in the camera industry. Canon have inform Their US dealer that they cannot advertise their price directly on a canadian web site
Because of this all US dealer do not show price on Photoprice.ca
See message here

www.photoprice.ca/article/photoprice-silenced-by-canon

http://www.photoprice.ca/article/photoprice-silenced-by-canon
04-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #342

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Interestingly enough, FA lenses price remained unchanged. DA70 and FA77 costs almost same now.
I am curious as to what this means as well.
With such an obvious LACK of a price increase among all the others what would be the purpose? I'm sure the lens road map we have all seen is no where near the whole story. Would I be too optimistic in thinking that maybe they want to clear this current stock so that when hypothetical replacements for the FA limited line arrive they would not have to compete with older cheaper lenses? Also if a full frame was in the works they would not announce new full frame lenses before the body is announced would they?

If the above is not the case then will the FA limited line be discontinued outright? Does anyone know if they are physically manufacturing these currently or if they are selling stockpiles from previous production runs.

I know this is extremely speculative lol. I'm still going to remain optimistic but if the FA s are on the way out I think I wanna score a 43mm if the tax return works in my favor!

(see? Optimistic!)
04-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #343

I just dont understand who got this idea to raise all the prizes.
I mean if you have a new Lens, with new AF, WR etc. ok, start with higher prizes, But just from one day to another " hey we just charge you the doubled price" i dont know if this is going to work. Exspecially if you think about many CaNikon Lenses with are on par with the Pentax Counterparts and EVEN have a reliable AND fast AF (oh and quit too). At the moment i dont see any increase in Europe/Germany but i think that its coming too, maybe with next PK.
04-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #344
Inactive Account

I bought my fa77 from b&h and the box says Hoya. The number is 25000 something. I doubt they will discontinue those. It would be suicide. As far as I can tell, the FA and less so DA ltds are almost the only unique selling point of the brand at the moment.
04-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #345
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
I just dont understand who got this idea to raise all the prizes.
I mean if you have a new Lens, with new AF, WR etc. ok, start with higher prizes, But just from one day to another " hey we just charge you the doubled price" i dont know if this is going to work. Exspecially if you think about many CaNikon Lenses with are on par with the Pentax Counterparts and EVEN have a reliable AND fast AF (oh and quit too). At the moment i dont see any increase in Europe/Germany but i think that its coming too, maybe with next PK.
They haven't raised the prices- they have just reinstated the origional prices. It's been said several times in this thread that the idea behind this is probababy as part of a move reinstate a place in brick and mortar shops that were previously being undercut and couldn't compete.
Closed Thread