Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #511
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm sure they have a plan, but their current handling of it is idiotic. A brief, non in-depth statement by them could have made this a squall rather than a tempest.

The previous street pricing of $800 for the 16-50 was probably in-line with what it should have been, given the SDM issues, (apparently) significant sample variation, and substandard 1 year warranty.
And that it is inferior to cheaper options optically. I hope they are going to replace the da* zooms with full frame versions and all around improvements and they really do just want the current stock to be the last.

04-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #512
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Bye bye Pentax ! I was waiting for the next round of pentax cameras so i could upgrade but that probably isn't going to happen now that the prices are fixed.. Pentax has no new cameras but nearly doubles the prices on lenses,many with out-dated auto focus systems.Pentax better wake up cause Sigma is kickin your ass!
Sigma kickin Pentax a$$? lolwut tell that to SD1 buyers when Sigma suddenly announced the price cut for the Merrill =)) True they did have a compensation plan but the dismay their "loyal customers" had against the company is I think still more awful than what we're dissing on Ricoh now.
04-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #513
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
look at the cost of the basic kit, which was not affected by the new policy,
I would add 5 cents for that.
Just looking around at the consumers around, that try to think they are advanced... all those canikons are buying superior body - with kit lens... and never buy lenses - ever.
Coming to regular shops may indeed win a lot of occasional customers, especially those that shop in the way buy kit & forget. Even most of the people asking me about what gear to buy, the talk only about "quality", "Megapixels"... that is all. None of them was talking about lenses NONE.

So yes, we have to wait and see what Pentax will do. But I bet, that if it massivly comes to regular shops, they will noticable increase they profits. They lose some of us, but gain a lot of fresh blood.
04-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #514

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
And that it is inferior to cheaper options optically. I hope they are going to replace the da* zooms with full frame versions and all around improvements and they really do just want the current stock to be the last.
I tend to agree.

I don't think price hikes will win back any customers or lure new ones, but optimistically when products reach end of life cycle their prices tend to re-surface back up to unilateral levels.

I hope that's what we're seeing here, the end of DA lines and re-introduction of DFA variants.

04-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #515
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
I also have experience working for a hi-fi retailer. Does Bryn Mawr Stereo ring any bells? Tweeter bought them out in 1996.

I also worked for Camera Shop Inc corporate. They were bought out by Ritz in 1999.
I couldn't resist saying that yes I well remember Bryn Mawr Stereo (in Bryn Mawr). I was quite sad when Tweeter bought them out.
04-06-2012, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #516

All this talk about Ricoh "having a plan." Maybe the plan just isn't a very good one. I know I would have to search pretty hard to find a B&M store that carries any Ricoh cameras. And now their bringing that genius to Pentax.

Let's face it, copiers != cameras.
04-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #517
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So they bought Pentax from Hoya to do what?

OK, if you prefer to beleive that Pentax is dead in 6 months, do so. But don't come back moaning in a year becaue if you know, they didn't say that blabla.

04-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't think either of us knows. Hopefully Ricoh does. But I find it funny that during the last years Hoya has been cursed as the blood sucking monster and Ricoh was supposed to be better. And now one of the first things they do is rise customer prices (in the US).
04-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #519
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

OK, if you prefer to beleive that Pentax is dead in 6 months, do so. But don't come back moaning in a year becaue if you know, they didn't say that blabla.
Clearly Ricoh has a plan. Whether or not it is a good plan remains to be seen, but anything that raises prices for current users (even if it is just in one country and even if it gets a wider distribution for Pentax products) will be seen negatively by current users. That said, something had to change in the US. It is a big market (300 plus million people with quite a bit of spending power) and to leave sales to three or four distributors, most based in New York, is untenable.
04-06-2012, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #520
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
All this talk about Ricoh "having a plan." Maybe the plan just isn't a very good one. I know I would have to search pretty hard to find a B&M store that carries any Ricoh cameras. And now their bringing that genius to Pentax.

Let's face it, copiers != cameras.
Cameras are copiers. They would copy the reality in front of your eyes, into a tiny storage medium
04-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #521

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Cameras are copiers. They would copy the reality in front of your eyes, into a tiny storage medium
Let me rephrase that: a strategy that works for copiers is not necessarily a strategy that works well for cameras.
04-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #522
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A copier has a photo-imaging sensor. So does the cheapest laser printer out there.

How do you suppose Canon got developed its own sensor fab capacity? Answer: Selling photo-imagers to Hewlett-Packard for their laser printers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I find it funny that during the last years Hoya has been cursed as the blood sucking monster and Ricoh was supposed to be better. And now one of the first things they do is rise customer prices (in the US).
Yeah, but HoyaTax allowed those prices to drift all the way back down after Pentax-USA announced the BigBox distribution policy and raised the dealer minimums - so that only those three or four New York distributors could meet them. That move encouraged over-ordering and reselling excess inventory.

One could infer Ricoh is essentially slapping Pentax-USA for creating the gray market. However, I choose to believe P-USA kept the brand alive here and Ricoh is now helping Ned and John rebuild the full-service model.

Please note that luftfluss has edited my signature statement for me:

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will bewhich they are implementing clumsily and yet you may eventually be happy.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-06-2012 at 09:22 AM.
04-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #523
Veteran Member

It seems like the same topics keep getting re-hashed in this thread. Like somebody else said, give Pentax until Photokina 2012 to win us back over. Until then, bitching will get us nowhere. Let's enjoy what we have. And for those who pay MSRP for DA* glass, a straightjacket may come included as a free accessory.
04-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #524
Pentaxian

Right door: the Pentax Waiting Room. Left door: the way to Canikon. Please choose and shut up.

04-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
It seems like the same topics keep getting re-hashed in this thread. Like somebody else said, give Pentax until Photokina 2012 to win us back over. Until then, bitching will get us nowhere. Let's enjoy what we have. And for those who pay MSRP for DA* glass, a straightjacket may come included as a free accessory.
Straightjackets are a wee bit out of date - these days its all chemical restraint, so Risperdal being included with each MSRP purchase would be more 21st century.
Closed Thread