Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #571
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Weren't those prices, given there were no price constraints, merely what the market would tolerate? Isn't that how things work when there are no price fixes in place?
Oh absolutely. The 50-135 is soft at 135 and the 16-50 has SDM issues and lots of CA's.. So the market drove the price down to something more acceptable. Selling these at 1500 is a joke. We are gonna see MSRP price reductions on these very soon me thinks. Price for the 60-250 is also a bit high at 2 grand as well. But you look at the DA* primes, which are great lenses, the market didn't drive down their costs that much.

04-08-2012, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #572
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder why bother about people "jumping ship"? I believe most of the jumpers will sell their gear to other people and those people in turn will come to the forum, show their own photos, dream and chat about FF, and buy new cameras eventually. I hardly imagine anyone trash their gear so every jumper will bring a new pentaxian into the world
04-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #573

I just purchased a genuine Pentax M42 screwmount-to-bayonet adapter so I can purchase more of the old Super Tak lenses as well as CZJ and Soviet glass to use with my new K-01. That was always the plan, and I actually have a cheap Chinese adapter, but it's stuck like superglue in my poor Ricoh K-R5 Super body.

I'll get new digital lenses eventually, when I can afford it, or maybe a wealthy relative will buy one for me. I'm rolling with this whole thing.
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #574
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Oh absolutely. The 50-135 is soft at 135 [...].
Mmm? Your copy, maybe...

04-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #575
Inactive Account

My thoughts to Spartan's post

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
i am going to leave pentax. Hard for me to say as i think the k5 is the best apsc. However, i agree, and what worries me is eroding support (i.e. Firmware, new lenses, etc) if pentax ultimately ends up focusing on their mirrorless line.

1) they did a poor job marketing the k-01 (should have been released with a set of xs lenses including a small 18=55)
i wont even get into the design but they should have used the q design for the k-01
they played it like an immature girl trying to play hard to get with their secrecy and partial glimpses of the unit. Frankly, the hinted photos were better looking than when the entire camera was revealed.

2) the price increase at a time when ricoh should be attracting users to k mount one thought is with their price drop on the k-5 bodies and ultimate increase on lenses, customers new to pentax were now invested into the system with no real historic knowledge of past da* prices. In addition, i believe they're going to push their new lens line up for the k-01 rather aggressively with lower prices. This is what concerns me about the future of their penta-prism cameras.

3) the q should have been designed with a larger sensor. i disagree. It should have been designed with a lower price in mind, competing more with the canon g series cameras, not including the gx1 with the much larger sensor. Plus, a larger sensor would have been a conflict of interest with the k-01. Now, had they pursued the q with the aps-c sensor and told marc newsome "thanks but we'll call you when we redecorate our corporate offices" making the q their mirrorless flagship, i believe they would have been onto a possible winner. Even with new, dedicated lenses for it, that would have been fine, as the camera could have remained compact, and it's not like there are a ton of freaking k-mount lenses to buy anyway.

4) the 645 d better have a follow up with a better (more mpixel) sensor otherwise they will not have a system compared to the nikon d800. the 645d, being a completely different animal will be interesting to see whether it takes off or not. Once again, ricoh inherited a product stubbornly pushed by hoya that took so long to introduce, there are now 35mm format cameras that will satisfy resolution addicts. While there is some potential for medium format shooters looking to save big on a pretty good camera, i would have much preferred the r&d to have focused their efforts on a full frame model. In the end, they would have sold a hell of a lot more, and could then be working on a successor or perfecting their model with firmware, lenses and ultimately, price drops from its initial introduction. For me, $2,500.00 is more feasible than $9,500.00

oh and i refuse to defend or promote pentax in any form until these issues (mostly price and better lenses for the k-01) are rectified.
i think we'll see new and affordable lenses for the k-01, specially designed for that camera that won't work on the k-5, even though it sports a k-mount. Doesn't make much sense, but i remember reading something to that effect not long ago. I'll work on digging up the source. I'm not buying one because i already have an aps-c camera that's not much bigger, yet has a nice view-finder and still has better image quality, despite using the same sensor. Plus, i'm not crazy about the k-01's aesthetics.

all of these make wonder about how long the system will be around. I dont want to be in a dead end. i'm right with you there.

[u][u]if they don't rectify most of the above (the price increase in particular) i will leave. I have all the lenses i need but i dont want to be part of a dead end. I will give it 2 months to see what happens then you will see a bunch of k mount and 645 lenses hit the marketplace.[u]well, even if a company perceives a mistake, immediately responding doesn't show stability, and while i don't agree with such exorbitant price increases, i don't expect to see any press release from richo explaining the hikes. Another aspect is pentax may indeed be working a full-frame, but they could be trying to make an announcement closer to launch time. Nikon is notorious for introducing a product, only to eventually get it out when they get it out. Canon, on the other hand, usually is good at keeping their product launch on schedule. I'm thinking ricoh/pentax would parallel the latter.

Nonetheless, pentax has a lot of long-time customers confused, angry, annoyed, fed up, etc.....whether a sore spot to many is one of those points or all the above, there are simply too many new products hitting the market place that consumers want. I.e. Full frame dslrs that are inching closer to a level of affordability many enthusiasts will be inclined to pursue. I think many people are tired of 35mm equivalents, and are ready to return to a true 35mm format. I know i am. Whether i need it or not doesn't matter. I want it. Life's too short to settle if you don't have to. I could be wrong, but it's my life, so who cares.

I'm not ready to sell my k-5, but i'm also not interested in purchasing a lens i was saving for that is now double the price i was expecting to pay. And, at the end of the day, i feel i'm among a majority that isn't convinced our thirsts will be quenched with new products many of us want, but will see only cute lenses for the q and k-01, with yet another promise/rumor/legend of a full frame on the horizon.

04-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #576
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Because September is a long way to wait for a Cute or Trendy new product from Pentax and once again nothing serious.

Tom
Is that inside info or just bullsh*t?

oklahomakid93, I wanted to properly answer your post but it was so long and it made so little sense that I couldn't be bothered.
There are signs everywhere that what you're afraid of, isn't happening. Even Pentax making the K-01 - what's the point, other than being able to properly support the (true) K-mount? Or, the K-mount & 645D lens roadmaps which you seemingly have no knowledge of:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/645_Mount_Lens.pdf
In contrast, the Q lens roadmap is not very convincing:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/Q_Mount_Lens.pdf
And there's no "K-01" lens roadmap, just a prototype.

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #577
Inactive Account

If they put a proof of concept model up on show at PK will that satisfy your needs?
It would mine.

(I know the Hoya one fell through but there's no reason to supect that Ricoh would do the same.)

04-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #578
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Is that inside info or just bullsh*t?

oklahomakid93, I wanted to properly answer your post but it was so long and it made so little sense that I couldn't be bothered.
There are signs everywhere that what you're afraid of, isn't happening. Even Pentax making the K-01 - what's the point, other than being able to properly support the (true) K-mount? Or, the K-mount & 645D lens roadmaps which you seemingly have no knowledge of:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/645_Mount_Lens.pdf
In contrast, the Q lens roadmap is not very convincing:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/Q_Mount_Lens.pdf
And there's no "K-01" lens roadmap, just a prototype.
Yep...You're right. The way in which I want about responding is hard to read, runs on and on, and is rather redundant. Sorry, and I should go out and do something productive rather than spend too much time ranting about something that makes little sense.

Sorry for that....

However, if you read what I typed in bold, it's not completely out of focus. Too long, yes, but those are my opinions.

And, I'm not afraid of anything. I'm not locked into a brand, and I don't care what anybody else thinks. I was responding to a post and tried to address my thoughts based on each point he was making.

And how could I not make sense if you didn't read it. That doesn't make sense.

Now, I'm off to do something productive. Work out, walk, take pictures and eat. I'll leave all the rational posting to guys like you.

Last edited by oklahomakid93; 04-08-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I'm pregnant.
04-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #579

Lets see, Cute - the Pentax Q, Trendy - the Pentax K-01 and so far nothing serious!

Doesn't seem that difficult to understand.

Tom
04-08-2012, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Because September is a long way to wait for a Cute or Trendy new product from Pentax and once again nothing serious.

Tom
Nothing serious? Geez - there are three product releases coming, 2 before September

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
i don't quite understand it..

things are only going to get better from here

thats the way i see it anyway...
K-5 continues in production until at least 12/2012
Soon: K-r replacement (K-01 in dSLR body)
Summer: K-5n - 16Mp articulating LCD Prime M and video
Photokina: K-3 - 24Mp Semi-Pro, totally new body | K-01 update (EVF), Lenses, TC, and that's just K-mount

K-02
LX-d FF
Major lenses upgrade path
04-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #581
Pentaxian

Nothing serious? My K-5 doesn't exist, then? Or the only issue is about the next DSLR not being here yet?
It's actually very easy to understand; you complain about nothing.

oklahomakid: I re-read my post and it was too harsh, my apologies for that. What I wanted to say - your message (yes I read it) was very long, and I disagree with most of it since I believe it does not reflect the reality.
Not with the "I don't want to pay double for that lens", of course; I wouldn't want it either.
04-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #582
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-02
LX-d FF
Too late. By 2013 there won't be left any Pentax users who need FF. They all will be using Canikons by then.
04-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #583
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nothing serious? Geez - there are three product releases coming, 2 before September

K-5 continues in production until at least 12/2012
Photokina: K-3 - 24Mp Semi-Pro, totally new body | K-01 update (EVF), Lenses, TC, and that's just K-mount

K-02
LX-d FF

thats exactly as i see it. even if at photokina we don't have the k-3 i will be pretty happy really. it mainly depends on the lenses and if a K-01 with a VF appears if I'm satisfied
04-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #584
Veteran Member

I saw an Optio WG-1 at Target last night. Unfortunately, there was no price sticker, and it was not plugged into power. This is the first time I can remember seeing a Pentax camera at Target.
04-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #585
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there any hard evidence for most of these:

Photokina: K-3 - 24Mp Semi-Pro, totally new body | K-01 update (EVF)

K-02
LX-d FF
Closed Thread