Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #586
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I saw an Optio WG-1 at Target last night. Unfortunately, there was no price sticker, and it was not plugged into power. This is the first time I can remember seeing a Pentax camera at Target.
I was in a big jessops on tottenham court road (london) looking at mirrorless cameras with my girlfriend an they had the gxr and q on show. No k-01 but that's to be expected. I wonder how much they will stock Pentax now there has been the merge... Iv never seen any Pentax in any jessops at all before then. Might have just been because it was a big one. Also I didn't go to the dslr section because I wasn't interested in seeing canikon.

04-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
response to Oak Kid

From Oklahoma Kids response to my post (Spartan):

"Nonetheless, pentax has a lot of long-time customers confused, angry, annoyed, fed up, etc.....whether a sore spot to many is one of those points or all the above, there are simply too many new products hitting the market place that consumers want. I.e. Full frame dslrs that are inching closer to a level of affordability many enthusiasts will be inclined to pursue. I think many people are tired of 35mm equivalents, and are ready to return to a true 35mm format. I know i am. Whether i need it or not doesn't matter. I want it. Life's too short to settle if you don't have to. I could be wrong, but it's my life, so who cares.

I'm not ready to sell my k-5, but i'm also not interested in purchasing a lens i was saving for that is now double the price i was expecting to pay. And, at the end of the day, i feel i'm among a majority that isn't convinced our thirsts will be quenched with new products many of us want, but will see only cute lenses for the q and k-01, with yet another promise/rumor/legend of a full frame on the horizon."

Well said and I agree with most of your response to my post. I am concerned about a series of marketing and product mistakes. For some time, i was proud that I had a product that was as good as Nik/Can, with some great lenses at reasonable prices. I was a bit of a acolyte trying to get people to be different, but the insane price rise shows me that Ricoh is really out of touch. Most people will not stay with this system.
04-08-2012, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #588

Funny, based on this thread you would get the impression that Pentax owners all over the world are unhappy and planning to leave the brand. I was starting to think I am one of the minority still content to stick it out with Pentax.

But having seen this poll (still active), only 9% who responded so far are planning to jump ship. A number of those responses are probably intended to send a message to Ricoh:

Edit: upto 13% now... amazing how many of the people leaving Pentax are still actively posting on a Pentax enthusiast site!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/181504-staying-pentax-jumping-ship.html

Many Pentax owners in the U.S. are understandably unhappy/angry about the extent of the price rises for certain lenses. But the number of customers Pentax-Ricoh is going to lose "worldwide" over this is not significant. Ricoh is surely focussed on attracting a new generation of customers "worldwide", and probably happy to see the back of the vocal minority who have had enough and spend their recreation time trying to convince others why they shouldn't stick with Pentax.

You still have a choice. If the DA* 60-250 is way to expensive, then the DA 55-300 is still a decent performer at a reasonable price.

You still have a choice. To stick with Pentax or to move on. There are some fantastic and tempting cameras on offer elsewhere, and always will be.

If you have made your decision to leave Pentax then good luck and I hope you will be satisfied. But there seems to be a lot more talk and threat of leaving than actual leaving.

Last edited by Kennod; 04-09-2012 at 07:25 AM.
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Too late. By 2013 there won't be left any Pentax users who need FF. They all will be using Canikons by then.
Now that's just ridiculous and contributes nothing to the conversation.

04-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Is there any hard evidence for most of these:

Soon: K-r replacement (K-01 in dSLR body)
Summer: K-5n - 16Mp articulating LCD Prime M and video
Photokina: K-3 - 24Mp Semi-Pro, totally new body | K-01 update (EVF)

K-02
LX-d FF
Major lenses upgrade path
Of course not. Other than the credible hints from respected users.
04-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #591
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Funny, based on this thread you would get the impression that Pentax owners all over the world are unhappy and planning to leave the brand. I was starting to think I am one of the minority still content to stick it out with Pentax.

But having seen this poll (still active), only 9% who responded so far are planning to jump ship. A number of those responses are probably intended to send a message to Ricoh:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/181504-staying-pentax-jumping-ship.html

Many Pentax owners in the U.S. are understandably unhappy/angry about the extent of the price rises for certain lenses. But the number of customers Pentax-Ricoh is going to lose "worldwide" over this is not significant. Ricoh is surely focussed on attracting a new generation of customers "worldwide", and probably happy to see the back of the vocal minority who have had enough and spend their recreation time trying to convince others why they shouldn't stick with Pentax.
Pentax/Ricoh wants to attract more users to the brand?

Why would you purchase a 60-250 if you could purchase a camera body and a 70-200 from another brand?

Right now, if you're into anything EXCEPT small cameras/small primes, you're better off with a Canon or a Nikon. Hell, I'm into small, but if I were making a decision this year Pentax would probably come in third behind Nikon and Canon.

If Pentax doesn't accelerate their progress and fix their prices they're going to get decimated.
04-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #592
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course not. Other than the credible hints from respected users.
As I thought.

04-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #593
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
I was in a big jessops on tottenham court road (london) looking at mirrorless cameras with my girlfriend an they had the gxr and q on show. No k-01 but that's to be expected. I wonder how much they will stock Pentax now there has been the merge... Iv never seen any Pentax in any jessops at all before then. Might have just been because it was a big one. Also I didn't go to the dslr section because I wasn't interested in seeing canikon.
I believe Jessops dropped Pentax a couple of years ago,
when their financial troubles became serious.
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #594
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Now that's just ridiculous and contributes nothing to the conversation.
this your post definitely contributed a lot.
04-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #595
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote

It's actually 11% now and I didn't even vote Besides, how many people do you expect to respond to that poll once they have moved away already?

QuoteQuote:
I've given up on Pentax and moving to another system 14 11.02%
04-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on the poll, I think Pentax made a grave error in that they could have gotten away with higher price increase. They should jack it up way more.
04-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It's actually 11% now and I didn't even vote Besides, how many people do you expect to respond to that poll once they have moved away already?
What, if they leave they can't "educate" the poor us about how great Canikonywhatever is, and tell us how much better photographers they become (no sample provided)?
04-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #598
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Too late. By 2013 there won't be left any Pentax users who need FF. They all will be using Canikons by then.
Good... less moaning here.
04-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #599

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Good question. You are right. If people have given up on Pentax then why keep posting on this forum for Pentaxians. I respect the decision of those who have genuinely decided that another system better suits their needs andthen act on their decision. Good luck and I would love to hear back from you regarding your post-Pentax experiences.

But to those 11% who say they are leaving Pentax but are yet to act, I wouldn't expect to be hearing much from you at all.
04-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #600
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Not all! I will be still here, maybe own my own, if I believed you. A totally ridiculous statement if ever I read one.
Closed Thread