Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Too late. By 2013 there won't be left any Pentax users who need FF. They all will be using Canikons by then.
The difference between 'need' and 'want' is the key point here. Those who NEED FF have no choice but to go elsewhere. I'll still be hanging around in 2013 becasue as much as I'd like to have an option for a 35mm sensor, I don't have the photographic, artistic, or professional NEED for one.

The K-5 is more camera than I am cameraman, thats for sure.

04-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #602
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
But to those 11% who say they are leaving Pentax but are yet to act, I wouldn't expect to be hearing much from you at all.
If they needed (and afforded) "FF" they would have acted, long time ago. They didn't, so...
04-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #603

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It's actually 11% now and I didn't even vote Besides, how many people do you expect to respond to that poll once they have moved away already?
The poll is now upto 13% who voted for "I've given up on Pentax and moving to another system", but haven't yet moved to another forum!

Last edited by Kennod; 04-09-2012 at 07:26 AM.
04-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #604
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm still looking for a product that increases in sales when it increases in price........ Gold......what else? I can't possibly imagine a new DSLR buyer paying more to get into a Pentax system? I can't even imagine a long time Pentax user paying more to stay with a Pentax system? At the current price increase, I have probably bought my last Pentax product. I am ordering a new lens today, I was leaning toward the DA* 16-50, but will go with Tamron instead.......and get a six year warranty with it. If this is how Ricoh intends to make up for the shoddy treatment of Pentaxians by Hoya, I'm afraid it is going to be a complete failure.

04-09-2012, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #605
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The poll is now upto 12% who voted for "I've given up on Pentax and moving to another system", but haven't yet moved to another forum!
Actually, there is another option that you might not be considering.

Some of us have working bodies with nice limited lenses. I have two k20's and a K200, and a couple of nice limited lenses. I will continue to shoot those bodies until they stop working as there is nothing wrong with them. Then I will sell the lenses.

The weak spot in my "system" is in the 300mm range. I have the DA 55-300 and while nice, I do want - "need" a prime 300 and a TC to go with it - just in case - you understand.

So since I carry two bodies with me anyway, I ordered a D7000 this weekend, and today I am deciding on a 300mm lens for it. The DA* 300 is now 1400, and because I have to purchase a 5 year warranty for 313 bucks, that brings it to over 1700. The new camera, and depending on the lens I choose, I am looking at about 2600.

If I were to upgrade one of the K20 bodies to a K5, I would be spending 1099 for the body and 1712 for the lens, or a total of 2811.

Add in the sale of the DA 55-300, even if I only sell it for 150 bucks, I will end up being ahead by close to 400 dollars.

So while I have "given up" on Richotax, I am still keeping my current bodies and lenses until they are no longer functional, and, as this forum is a wealth of information about information that is pertinent to those cameras and lenses I currently own, it would be silly to leave.

Last edited by AGWoodard; 04-09-2012 at 07:18 AM.
04-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #606
Veteran Member

The poll is now upto 13% who voted for "I've given up on Pentax and moving to another system", but haven't yet moved to another forum!
Hey, you have to sell your lenses somewhere!

I love Pentax. I've also started to look for Nikon lenses. I haven't bought anything yet but if I see some bargains I will. As AGWoodard said, right now it's just plain cheaper to go with another system... even 'expensive' Nikon.
04-09-2012, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #607

Although Pentax has been good to me, I too will probably not buy any more Pentax products. The K-5 is plenty of camera for my purposes, and I'll keep it until it dies.

With these lens price increases, Canikon has won. Pentax simply cannot (or will not) compete in price, warranty, service, or value, and I'm not sure what's left after that. It's rare to see such inept management and marketing linger for so many years, and not go out of business.

Sadly, I think Pentax has really shot itself in the foot in the US. If they had announced a FF camera, a competitive mirrorless camera, or even a replacement for the K-r, along with the lens price increases, it would have been a lot more palatable. The Q and K-01 are just gimmicks as far as I can tell, and I'd guess Ricoh/Pentax are eating big losses over those debacles.

04-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #608

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
Actually, there is another option that you might not be considering.

Some of us have working bodies with nice limited lenses. I have two k20's and a K200, and a couple of nice limited lenses. I will continue to shoot those bodies until they stop working as there is nothing wrong with them. Then I will sell the lenses.

The weak spot in my "system" is in the 300mm range. I have the DA 55-300 and while nice, I do want - "need" a prime 300 and a TC to go with it - just in case - you understand.

So since I carry two bodies with me anyway, I ordered a D7000 this weekend, and today I am deciding on a 300mm lens for it. The DA* 300 is now 1400, and because I have to purchase a 5 year warranty for 313 bucks, that brings it to over 1700. The new camera, and depending on the lens I choose, I am looking at about 2600.

If I were to upgrade one of the K20 bodies to a K5, I would be spending 1099 for the body and 1712 for the lens, or a total of 2811.

Add in the sale of the DA 55-300, even if I only sell it for 150 bucks, I will end up being ahead by close to 400 dollars.

So while I have "given up" on Richotax, I am still keeping my current bodies and lenses until they are no longer functional, and, as this forum is a wealth of information about information that is pertinent to those cameras and lenses I currently own, it would be silly to leave.
Yes, that makes perfect sense. I respect the decision of you and those like yourself to move on, or invest no further in overpriced Pentax lenses. I respect that you have taken action. My comments are directed to those who just complain and make hollow threats and demands rather than exercise choice as you have. All the best.
04-09-2012, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #609

I'm not sure if anybody else has said it, and I'm not supporting the change in pricing policy, but is it not a fair statement to say that Pentax hasn't actually increased the price, they've just stopped retailers selling at a discount?
04-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #610
Banned

QuoteQuote:
is it not a fair statement to say that Pentax hasn't actually increased the price, they've just stopped retailers selling at a discount?
Yeah, I think that's a fair comment.

Where this may work for Richotax users, is that if these big retailers see a significant decrease in the sale of Richotax gear, they might be the ones to put the REAL pressure on Richotax to reverse this policy. As was said earlier, if the stuff just sits on a shelf gathering dust, sooner or later, it is going to be replaced by stuff that will move and generate a profit for the retailers. I highly doubt B&H or Adorama want to be warehouses for Richotax, which is what they could eventually become with this policy.
04-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #611
Veteran Member

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I respect the decision of you and those like yourself to move on, or invest no further in overpriced Pentax lenses. I respect that you have taken action. My comments are directed to those who just complain and make hollow threats and demands rather than exercise choice as you have. All the best.
It is all well and good to make statements like this but the reality is that for many people they simply do not have the liquidity to make a $2500-3000 systems change quickly, easily, or in many cases at all. Those people are expressing their frustration at the Pentax changes and their frustration may be exacerbated by their feeling trapped in the system with no way out. I do not think it as simple as you make out that they are merely whining or making hollow threats. Certainly, in any group, there are the windbags but in this case there is the very real issue of the extremely high cost of just up and changing systems.
04-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm still looking for a product that increases in sales when it increases in price........ Gold......what else?
Ammunition. Both gold and ammunition, however, are affected by something other than basic principles of price and demand. SLRs are too, of course, though not the same thing as gold and ammo. For users like those of us on this board, it's not fear of future legislation or governmental instability, but sunk costs and the transactions costs of changing systems. Because of those costs, our tolerance for pain is unusually high. I'm sure they know that.
04-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #613
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chiefsilverback Quote
I'm not sure if anybody else has said it, and I'm not supporting the change in pricing policy, but is it not a fair statement to say that Pentax hasn't actually increased the price, they've just stopped retailers selling at a discount?
Retailers are selling lens at MSRP at present or close to it. That is an increase in price.
04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #614
Veteran Member

Was just checking out Canon & Nikon prices and was shocked to see how high their respective lens prices are. The "new" Canon 24-70L with IS is $2499. A Nikon 16-35 f4 VR is $1200....Considering going back to either would be very costly, and I couldn't afford the same lens array as I have now with Pentax. I would have to reduce my wish list, buy a couple good lenses, or buy third party lenses. I hope this gets sorted out soon, or I may succumb to NAS(Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) and buy a gently used D700 and a couple primes. I also am suspicious of price fixing of camera gear by Japanese makers Ricoh/Pentax, Canon, Nikon, and Sony. They need to rebuild their businesses after a tsunami, earthquake, nuclear power problems and a global recession. Thailand also suffered record flooding, and a few companies, Nikon in particular, had mfg facilities that were affected.

Last edited by Franky2step; 04-09-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added rhetoric
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #615
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Both Tamron and Sigma make some very nice glass.......I have had little if any complaint. Their prices seem more in line with current economic conditions.......this will surely benefit them. I just bought a Tammy 28-75 2.8 for $499...with a $25 rebate. I had been considering the Pentax 16-50, but at $1500, that is pure insanity.....and the Pentax has the dreaded SDM........while the Tamron has a six year warranty. For many of us that are not Pro shooters, a thousand dollars is no small consideration....and Pentax might note that only a small number of Pro shooters are Pentax buyers.....
Regards!
Closed Thread