Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #616
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Both Tamron and Sigma make some very nice glass.......I have had little if any complaint. Their prices seem more in line with current economic conditions.......this will surely benefit them. I just bought a Tammy 28-75 2.8 for $499...with a $25 rebate. I had been considering the Pentax 16-50, but at $1500, that is pure insanity.....and the Pentax has the dreaded SDM........while the Tamron has a six year warranty. For many of us that are not Pro shooters, a thousand dollars is no small consideration....and Pentax might note that only a small number of Pro shooters are Pentax buyers.....
Regards!
I've been considering a fast tele-zoom and the same considerations apply there as well. The Tamron is f2.8 but shorter than the f4 Pentax, however it is selling for $769 whereas the Pentax is $2k from B&H or Adorama. Faster and 38% the cost with a 6 year warranty vs the 1 that Pentax graciously backs their products with in the US

04-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #617
Veteran Member

With the money you save buying the Tamron you could easily purchase a TC... even the FA 1.7, or you could wait until the Pentax TC comes out.
04-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #618
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
With the money you save buying the Tamron you could easily purchase a TC... even the FA 1.7, or you could wait until the Pentax TC comes out.
True, and then there is the Sigma option. The review here rates it well even if it does weigh nearly what the Pentax lens does:
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #619
Veteran Member

I don't know what your needs are, and I don't really know about Adam's review very much... but when I compared the Tamron to the Sigma the Tamron was superior optically. I didn't and don't care much about autofocus speed but the Tamron was definitely good enough for me.

04-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #620

Just thinking about this over the weekend. How much control does Ricohtax exert over the retailers? Could a retailer offer a $500 in-store gift card for example with the purchase of X lens or would this violate the unilateral contract? I've seen B&H offer gift cards in the past with other products, although I'm not sure it is something they still do.
04-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #621
Veteran Member

Stores can pay your sales tax, they can 'bundle' with other stuff, etc.

At the end of the day it's basically not a contract (because if it WAS a contract it'd be illegal) so Pentax will just stop shipping the retailer anything.
04-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #622
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wv76x Quote
Just thinking about this over the weekend. How much control does Ricohtax exert over the retailers? Could a retailer offer a $500 in-store gift card for example with the purchase of X lens or would this violate the unilateral contract? I've seen B&H offer gift cards in the past with other products, although I'm not sure it is something they still do.

Richotax...... I love that! What about Pentoh?

04-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #623
Veteran Member

Sounds too much like PenD'OH! to me.
04-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #624
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Was just checking out Canon & Nikon prices and was shocked to see how high their respective lens prices are. The "new" Canon 24-70L with IS is $2499. A Nikon 16-35 f4 VR is $1200....
Hmm, their respective lenses are 17-55 f/2.8 ($1180 Canon and $1450 Nikon), aren't they?
04-09-2012, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #625
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, um, here's the thing with pricing. One of a few things can happen:
  1. They'll sell a number of lenses they deem satisfactory at the current prices, and nothing will change.
  2. They don't sell what they were hoping at the new prices, and the prices are dropped again.
  3. They don't sell what they were hoping at the new prices, and something else changes (new designs, extended warranties, other promotions) to make up for it.
  4. They don't sell what they want and suddenly and amazingly vanish from the planet with no warning.

#4 is unlikely. If #1 is the case, no amount of whining will make any change: clearly they made the right call from their side. If #2 is the case, also no amount of "protest" will do anything. In fact, that's really also true with #3, although maybe asking nicely for what we'd like to see can have some effect.
04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #626
Veteran Member

Their respective lenses are too numerous to mention, and I am giving two examples. I could have quoted Nikon 85 f1.4 but of course that would be wrong because I'd have to reference Pentax's 77 f1.8:ugh:

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Hmm, their respective lenses are 17-55 f/2.8 ($1180 Canon and $1450 Nikon), aren't they?
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM - 2 Likes   #627
Forum Member

Two months ago, after a fair amount of research and trying bodies from Canon and Nikon, I purchased a K5. One of the biggest reasons I went with Pentax was the image quality that other brands in the same price range just couldn't touch. It seemed like the only cameras that were better than the K5 were FF cameras, but those were a tad out of my price range. More importantly though, as the research I did told me my best investment would actually be the glass, was the incredible price and value of Pentax glass, and that Pentax had a history dating back decades upon decades so I knew they would be reliable. From the prices I was looking at, I would most likely be able to afford a couple of DA* zoom lenses and a specialty lens, being either a macro or wide-angle. More research revealed issues with the SDM system, so I held off on those and went with Pentax's standard 18-55mm AL II and the D FA 100mm macro. Almost every day I scoured the internet looking for some sign of revival of the SDM as I had also learned that Ricoh Imaging had somewhat recently acquired Pentax.

Unfortunately I never found any literature suggesting Pentax had addressed the SDM issue. Even more unfortunate, though, was waking up yesterday and noticing Pentax glass prices on Amazon were, um, off of what they had been. After a very short search I discovered what Pentax had done. At first I was optimistic, hoping that maybe the drastic price increase in the DA* line was due to a new SDM system, but alas there was nothing that confirmed that hope.

There's really no point to this post, other than to maybe let Pentax know how they really disappointed someone who is new to photography (although I've had a passion for it for years, I've only recently acquired the funds) and could have been a major supporter of the brand. Instead all I want to do now is return the macro and sell the K5 and 18-55mm (I'm not 100% yet, but the return period for the macro is up soon) and jump ship if I'm going to be spending ~$3200 for two zooms (16-50 & 60-250).

Am I overreacting? Possibly. Hell, probably. But here's my position: This is a camera I wanted to have for life as I'm not one to really buy new things unless I absolutely need them. I don't ever see myself upgrading to a new body if the current ones do everything I'll ever need unless my current were to ever melt or something. As stated, my research led me to believe that the glass is the most important aspect, especially with today's technology in DSLR bodies being what it is. As such, if Pentax is going to raise prices I'd rather spend the same on a brand that has a MUCH larger selection of glass (I know Tamron and others make glass but I would prefer to keep things all one brand) and as such spend a little more on a FF body.

If you've read what I've posted, thanks and I'll end with this question:

Aside from all speculation about what Pentax is doing, there is currently no official word on anything other than prices. Knowing that, if you had a week to decide on keeping the K5 and risking nothing happens with Pentax (they make no new lenses (until 2013 like their roadmap suggests) or fail to officially acknowledge and fix the SDM issue) or would you spend a little more on a FF body (that you keep for the rest of your life and never need to buy another) with another reputable company with a larger selection of glass?

Thanks for your input, please don't burn me at the stake
04-09-2012, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #628
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure if this is old news (or someone has posted this already) but this is new to me.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | The lens price increase in USA is real :(

It appears other manufacturers are also increasing their prices....so this price increase thing is not unique to Pentax.
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM - 2 Likes   #629
Inactive Account

It's not that bad

QuoteOriginally posted by PushTheRedButton Quote
Two months ago, after a fair amount of research and trying bodies from Canon and Nikon, I purchased a K5. One of the biggest reasons I went with Pentax was the image quality that other brands in the same price range just couldn't touch. It seemed like the only cameras that were better than the K5 were FF cameras, but those were a tad out of my price range. More importantly though, as the research I did told me my best investment would actually be the glass, was the incredible price and value of Pentax glass, and that Pentax had a history dating back decades upon decades so I knew they would be reliable. From the prices I was looking at, I would most likely be able to afford a couple of DA* zoom lenses and a specialty lens, being either a macro or wide-angle. More research revealed issues with the SDM system, so I held off on those and went with Pentax's standard 18-55mm AL II and the D FA 100mm macro. Almost every day I scoured the internet looking for some sign of revival of the SDM as I had also learned that Ricoh Imaging had somewhat recently acquired Pentax.

Unfortunately I never found any literature suggesting Pentax had addressed the SDM issue. Even more unfortunate, though, was waking up yesterday and noticing Pentax glass prices on Amazon were, um, off of what they had been. After a very short search I discovered what Pentax had done. At first I was optimistic, hoping that maybe the drastic price increase in the DA* line was due to a new SDM system, but alas there was nothing that confirmed that hope.

There's really no point to this post, other than to maybe let Pentax know how they really disappointed someone who is new to photography (although I've had a passion for it for years, I've only recently acquired the funds) and could have been a major supporter of the brand. Instead all I want to do now is return the macro and sell the K5 and 18-55mm (I'm not 100% yet, but the return period for the macro is up soon) and jump ship if I'm going to be spending ~$3200 for two zooms (16-50 & 60-250).

Am I overreacting? Possibly. Hell, probably. But here's my position: This is a camera I wanted to have for life as I'm not one to really buy new things unless I absolutely need them. I don't ever see myself upgrading to a new body if the current ones do everything I'll ever need unless my current were to ever melt or something. As stated, my research led me to believe that the glass is the most important aspect, especially with today's technology in DSLR bodies being what it is. As such, if Pentax is going to raise prices I'd rather spend the same on a brand that has a MUCH larger selection of glass (I know Tamron and others make glass but I would prefer to keep things all one brand) and as such spend a little more on a FF body.

If you've read what I've posted, thanks and I'll end with this question:

Aside from all speculation about what Pentax is doing, there is currently no official word on anything other than prices. Knowing that, if you had a week to decide on keeping the K5 and risking nothing happens with Pentax (they make no new lenses (until 2013 like their roadmap suggests) or fail to officially acknowledge and fix the SDM issue) or would you spend a little more on a FF body (that you keep for the rest of your life and never need to buy another) with another reputable company with a larger selection of glass?

Thanks for your input, please don't burn me at the stake
I'm telling you this after I went through manopause last week, when shortly before my birthday, the prices on many Pentax lenses went up considerably. Initially I was pissed, and ready to dump everything and start over.

Then, after taking some Pamperin, and considering the advice of a few very level-headed participants on this forum, I remembered something important. My K-5 is a bad ass camera, and every time I use it, I'm reminded just how great a dslr it is, and how I feel my camera kicks the ass of anything in its class. It's light, compact, extremely well-built, and I don't have to worry about 10,000 Pentax APS-C models to throw my OCD into hyperdrive. It takes great pictures with my expensive glass, just as it does with the kit lens that came with my K-7.

Now, about the lenses....Yes, a significant price jump sucks. It sucks in many ways, because it's never easy to see something you could have bought for $800 now $1,400. But, I had my reasons for not having bought that lens in the first place, and despite the lack of 3rd party lens offerings, there are still a few good ones from Sigma that offer great bang for buck performance.

Looking at the picture a littler longer, I noticed the excellent FA lens prices have stayed the same. They were always a bigger investment, but you never see q/c issues or complaints with optical quality. The FA lenses have advantages as well....On a crop sensor, they have an excellent sweet spot in the middle, and should Pentax ever offer up a full frame camera, then you have a lens that's ready to go.

Anyway, I don't see any real reason for changing systems. I mean, if you do, then that's okay too, but when you step back and think about how easy the K-5 is to operate, how comfortable it is to carry and use, and just how outstanding the image quality is, then a temporary loss of transmission while Ricoh flies over the dark side of the Rising Sun won't be the end of the world, and I'm sure all of us will become well-informed, and even happy, once new announcements are made.

You'll be okay, and in the long run, should you decide to hold onto your excellent camera, you'll more than likely be introduced to some new lenses with improved functionality, as well as an upgrade path once you're ready to retire your K-5 or when your needs change.

Last edited by oklahomakid93; 04-10-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
04-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #630
Veteran Member

News to me, too. But Sony increased their prices 10%, which still means Pentax is unique.
Closed Thread