Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #916
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, since I'm correct it isn't egocentric at all. Ricoh isn't this stupid. And I'm not the only one with this analysis. I just post more.
Who was it that said if you are saying something untrue to say it more and more and the masses will believe it? Hmmmm..........

I also do not accept your premise that Ricoh "isn't that stupid."

04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #917
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Most of the Pentax lens' are assembled in Vietnam, but not all of them. Also most of the camera bodies that are presently made by Pentax are assembed in the Phillipines.

Naturally there are exceptions to those above mentioned rules. I've already seen a K-01 outfit box that stated the lens was made in Japan. Anyone else come across this? As for the Pentax parts they are made all over the place; a very few in america, most in China and Vietnam, and some in Japan. And although Penta does have manufacturing facilities in Japan it is really unknown exactly what is made there.

Was also wondering where Pentax got their glass from on some of their higher end lens'?
Where do they make the 645? If they make anything exclusively in Japan my money is on it.
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #918
Banned

QuoteQuote:
And that is bad . . . . why, again?
You're kidding right?

Here's what you don't get, because you are too wrapped up in your Goody Two Shoes Pollyanna "Richo has a Plan for You" BS.

Just because I will now be able to go down to my local B&M store and buy a $500 lens for $700 doesn't seem like such a great deal to me. I don't care how many Pentax lenses my local B&M store stocks. If I need or want a new filter, they have a HUGE selection of Promaster's on hand. If I want a B&W or something else, I'm out of luck. Need a new lens plate for that $1100 lens I just paid $1400 for, I have to order it from someone like B&H or RRS or Kirk. Need a new tripod, they have a HUGE selection of Slick, and a few Manfrotto's in stock. Maybe a Benro on the "high" end. How about a new bag? I waited a MONTH after I paid for my last Domke for them to get it in.

The bottom line is, plain and simple, NO B&M store is going to be able to compete with the big on line retailers. None of them.

So once again, tell me how paying $700 for a $500 lens benefits me? God I can't wait for this......
04-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #919
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Most of the Pentax lens' are assembled in Vietnam, but not all of them. Also most of the camera bodies that are presently made by Pentax are assembed in the Phillipines.

Naturally there are exceptions to those above mentioned rules. I've already seen a K-01 outfit box that stated the lens was made in Japan. Anyone else come across this? As for the Pentax parts they are made all over the place; a very few in america, most in China and Vietnam, and some in Japan. And although Penta does have manufacturing facilities in Japan it is really unknown exactly what is made there.

Was also wondering where Pentax got their glass from on some of their higher end lens'?
What does that have to do with my post? I wrote, Pentax (& Ricoh's) corporate head quarters are in Japan. Most members here that have been here more than a few months know where the lenses and camera bodies are made. There are quite a few that know history back through the Asahi years. The glass is still made in Japan. Do they still have a relationship with Hoya regarding blanks? Who knows. Did Pentax's glass ever use Hoya blanks?

04-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #920
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
Here's what you don't get, because you are too wrapped up in your Goody Two Shoes Pollyanna "Richo has a Plan for You" BS.
Huh. Guess they just dropped $115MM in Hoya's bank account because they really like the K-mount. Profit doesn't matter. Growth doesn't matter. Jobs in the USA don't matter. Ricoh are just a bunch of greedy, dumb Japanese capitalists who don't know business from a mud slide.

Tell ya what. You get your Private Equity guys together and I'll get mine and we'll buy Pentax Ricoh Imaging for, let's say $100MM. Then we'll lower the prices back where they were and see what happens.

Of course, we'll have to arrange capital calls over the next 5 years for the R&D, inventory expense for all the new products, oh and all that new manufacturing space and marketing, expense - well, everything to bring Pentax back. Because there won't be any cash flow from existing business - Ricoh just killed that.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Nah. Ricoh doesn't have a plan.
04-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #921
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Huh. Guess they just dropped $115MM in Hoya's bank account because they really like the K-mount. Profit doesn't matter. Growth doesn't matter. Jobs in the USA don't matter. Ricoh are just a bunch of greedy, dumb Japanese capitalists who don't know business from a mud slide.

Tell ya what. You get your Private Equity guys together and I'll get mine and we'll buy Pentax Ricoh Imaging for, let's say $100MM. Then we'll lower the prices back where they were and see what happens.

Of course, we'll have to arrange capital calls over the next 5 years for the R&D, inventory expense for all the new products, oh and all that new manufacturing space and marketing, expense - well, everything to bring Pentax back. Because there won't be any cash flow from existing business - Ricoh just killed that.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Nah. Ricoh doesn't have a plan.
Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Hysterical
04-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #922
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. :Hysterical:

04-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #923
Veteran Member

(I agree that Ricoh has a plan, FWIW. I'm just not sure it includes me as a customer).
04-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #924
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, page 62 already?

Just got back from a wonderful trip to San Francisco. Took a few 1000 bad pictures and didn't see a single Pentax. I'm off to my cave for a month to post process all the images.

back on topic, I don't see where we're all going with this thread. Until an official representative from Pentax/Ricoh actually says anything, we're all just speculating and blowing off steam.
Isn't it all about the Photo and why we are Photographers? Not the equipment or the name on the equipment. If Pentax/Ricoh collapses tomorrow, I'm still taking photos, bad photos, but photos...

My next milestone is Photokina. I'm hoping by then we'll know where we're headed. If I don't like the destination, I'll just calmly get off and board another train to a new destination.
04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #925
Banned

Let's see how Richo's plan works in the real world.

Customer at the local B&M camera shop,,,, "what's the difference between Nikon and Pentax?"

B&M Salesman "Well, the K5 and the D7000 are pretty close. The big difference is in the lenses. The Pentax Lenses are more expensive and have a one year warranty while the Nikon lenses have a 5 year warranty. But we can sell you an extended warranty to cover the same 5 years for an additional 300 bucks."

Customer "Hey, do I look like my names Monochrome?"

And that is how it's going to work in the real world. Plan or no plan.
04-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #926
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by James_R_Strickland Quote
It has been hypothesized in this thread that the current prices are to slow demand for the products while new products are designed/released, and this may be so, but I would hypothesize that it /also/ keeps their existing distribution model from running out of product, even though it's no longer being fed, while the new model is put into place.
I'd like to believe this too. Come Photokina, and we'll see what Pentax's (Ricoh's) stand will be. If they're slowing down to stock up stuff for that big event, then I think this waiting struggle will be worth it. If not, I still have my K-x, 5 lenses to shoot with, and around 70,000+ more shutter clicks before I think of buying a Nikon.
04-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #927
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How do retailers win? 10000000% profit on 0 sales is still $0. However, 5% profit on some sales = real $s in income.
I'm continuing to argue that Pentax can benefit from holding retailers to minimum pricing. I'm not arguing that they've set the correct minimum. Please don't confuse those two points, particularly when you're excited.
04-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #928
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Wow, page 62 already?

Just got back from a wonderful trip to San Francisco. Took a few 1000 bad pictures and didn't see a single Pentax. I'm off to my cave for a month to post process all the images.

back on topic, I don't see where we're all going with this thread. Until an official representative from Pentax/Ricoh actually says anything, we're all just speculating and blowing off steam.
Isn't it all about the Photo and why we are Photographers? Not the equipment or the name on the equipment. If Pentax/Ricoh collapses tomorrow, I'm still taking photos, bad photos, but photos...

My next milestone is Photokina. I'm hoping by then we'll know where we're headed. If I don't like the destination, I'll just calmly get off and board another train to a new destination.
Sure it is about the Photo. However, people still buy equipment.
04-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #929
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'm continuing to argue that Pentax can benefit from holding retailers to minimum pricing. I'm not arguing that they've set the correct minimum. Please don't confuse those two points, particularly when you're excited.
The only problem is that they are holding them to a maximum price. wowcb
04-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #930
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The only problem is that they are holding them to a maximum price.
which I hope they won't do for very long.
Closed Thread