01-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #62
mer

I really hope it is 16:9 or similar !

I always loved cinema frames , I hate squarish pictures

examples...

bring the 16:9 sensor ! hell yeah !
01-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
HD - It's all about aspect ratio isn't it?

The next camera with an HD disignation, would only mean a ratio.

As photography has many ratios from square to panorama. I have yet to stick to only one ratio, as sometimes an image should be square...then some should be pan or HD. This FF format is just another ratio, right?. If resolution is high enough, we are all capable of cropping to any ratio. That said, I would be more inclined to like a wider format, than say 4:3 or 2:3. Thoughts?
Phil
01-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #64

Hasn't anybody here shot with any of the Panasonic widescreen cameras? I own the LX2 and absolutely love the wide format. It lets me get more creative with my shots. And there is a switch allowing me to shoot in normal aspect ratio too. But most of the time, I find I leave it in the 16:9 setting. Now if the new body has this, I am really looking forward to owning one.
And the video capabilities I see it as a bonus.
Oh wait a minute. This new body will do everything my LX2 does. (If rumours are true) I guess I no longer have to carry the Pany with me and make room for another lens in my bag.
One question tho. So if this new body will capture video, will the shutter be physically opening and closing? Won't this wear down the shutter? Seeing as most camera shutters are good for like 100k actuations. So after about 1hr of video capture (at 30 fps), your shutter is all spent?

These rumors are so fun to read!

01-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by korc Quote
One question tho. So if this new body will capture video, will the shutter be physically opening and closing?
No, any video mode would have to use electronic shutters. Otherwise it would not be fast enough.

QuoteQuote:
These rumors are so fun to read!
Yeah, and if we all believe these rumors, I think we will be so disappointed when the real specs is released. Well, we can always start the rumors on K30D.....
01-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #66
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love square and cinema formats. Cinema would be a fun change.

The OP mentioned contrast detection AF instead of distance something or other. All Pentax SLRs have been contrast detection, so that would not be a change.
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The OP mentioned contrast detection AF instead of distance something or other. All Pentax SLRs have been contrast detection, so that would not be a change.
You got it wrong. All SLRs (digital or film) use phase detection AF. Contrast measurement is used by P&S and Prosumer.

01-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #68
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote

We will all be cropping like mad to get the 3:2 format we are used to.
Dont drag me into your assumptions, I wont be cropping like mad!

/Mats
01-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I can give you one definite reason why pentax wouldn't go cinema crop sensor:

Because we'd end up with a bunch of stupid looking portrait photos, that's why. No need for a vertical grip!!!

Cinema cameras don't shoot portrait.
01-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #70
and
Veteran Member

Why is this rumor even being discussed? Its obviously false.
01-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I can give you one definite reason why pentax wouldn't go cinema crop sensor:
Because we'd end up with a bunch of stupid looking portrait photos, that's why. No need for a vertical grip!!!
It's dead simple to include a switch to detect vertical camera & electronically downsize it to 3:2, or even 4:3 if you prefer
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #72
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
You got it wrong. All SLRs (digital or film) use phase detection AF. Contrast measurement is used by P&S and Prosumer.
You are correct. I was confusing phase detection with contrast measurement. Still, the OP said something to the effect of "instead of" distance measurement, which is not how SLRs AF. Either way, I think this particular rumor smells bogus on many fronts, so it doesn't really matter.
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #73

I really really really hope that new Pentax will NOT be 16:9. Personally I like 4:3 most of all, not even 3:2, but 16:9 will be a disaster for me. Sure with such sensor perhaps it is possible to shoot in reduced mode but hey, I dont' like using crippled modes! So I hope camera WILL stay 3:2 as it is now
BTW any signs or rumors about the screen? Will it bee a free-angle one?
01-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I think we got carried away by an unsubstantiated rumor.

In dpreview, two people under NDA basically say that the whole idea is hogwash.

So we are now back to square one.

Ben, can you comment? NDA forbid you to disclose anything about the info you know. But you surely can say no when something is not true.
I won't comment until after the Press Conference guys...OK.

I will come on line when I get back from the Studio and after speaking with the journalists etc.

It ain't my show. It is Pentax's show. I am just there like icing on the cake. Just gonna sign some of my photos for them. Be there for their NON Technical questions, being that "I know nothing about Pentax" and all the other stuff that happens at press conferences.

One thing I will say...There might even be a new camera at this event.

Ben
01-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
I really really really hope that new Pentax will NOT be 16:9. Personally I like 4:3 most of all, not even 3:2,
Buy Oly.......