Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #46
Not Registered

To throw crap on the video/photo camera just because is not purely photography is kind of naive/close-minded. It is like when the autoexposure, autofocus, continous shooting, etc started to appear. All people thought "that is not photography" and here we are with our gadgetocameras. What does the people think that the high fps is? It is a matter of time that the dslr will become video cameras, see the new casio... The one who throw the first stone will have a powerful weapon on their pockets. I just find hard to believe that the fps on this particular camera will be enough for doing good videos but I personally wellcome these advances. Actually, I will be seriously considering in getting one of them. Hopefully, the IQ will be good.

Next station, iPentax K1D from apple. VideocameraGPSMP3playercellphonecomputer. We can start looking for acronisms

01-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely NOT from Dubai.

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
From Dubai:

The new K20D will have live view and can preview the photo on the viewfinder. This was done by installing a small LCD monitor in a viewfinder meaning an EL display developed by samsung, like samsung did it on their previous SAMSUNG PRO-815 model. The live view is also available on 3 inch LCD.

There are two types of AF mode and they said that they have improved their AF performance. The AF uses a new Contrast Method and will not use their existing AF method (by Distance Measuring Mode).

I haven't seen any info on whether they even realize that predictive/tracking autofocus is whats incredibly important to be done right on the K20D. At least as good as the D300 or similar should have been the standard of performance before even accepting the final product. Hopefully predictive/tracking will be one of the 2 types.

In continuous drive mode, this new model can shoot 1080p full HD size, up to 14-16 shots..while Nikon's D3 can only shoot 510p up to 11 shots and unknown "p"(maybe 200p more than K20D) and up to 10 shots on Canon's 1D MarkIII. It also can shoot 3fps 12bit/14bit RAW file while Nikon's D300 only can shot 2.5fps 14bit RAW file. The GX-20 can record 720p video and maybe the K20D also has that feature..

The sensor will be 14MP CMOS APS-H sensor (approx 30mm X 16mm) being a little bit widescreen

Better SR than K10D
4fps

And AF is available in Live View which is better than 40D(can't use AF in Live View)
See Pentax K20D Feature - Page 2 - PhotoMalaysia Forums for the original post from some very reliable (the guys knows a guy from South Korea so it has to be legit right?) source on january 7.

Why didn't you also quote the "info" on the new K1D FF APS-H (sic!) that's in preparation...?:

"1:1 full frame 15MP CMOS (APS-H) sensor
22bit A/D converter
16bit RAW/TIFF format
8fps
"

That should make for some ingteresting posts...

My favourite quotation: "Now this K20D can be compare to D300, D3 and 1D MarkIII. And they said that the price would be 1/3 of D3 price but they didn't announce when it will be launch and available in the market..maybe it was in the middle of January 2008"

So that would make the K20D a $1800 camera: talk among each other
01-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #48
and
Veteran Member

A FullFrame APS-H sensor! and we thought it would be impossible! Truly groundreaking. This means soon we can have a FullFrame APS-C sensor too!
01-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
1:1 full frame 15MP CMOS (APS-H) sensor
That's a contradiction: is it 24x36mm, or APS-H ?

QuoteQuote:
My favourite quotation: "Now this K20D can be compare to D300, D3 and 1D MarkIII.
The D300 is not in the same class as the D3 & 1DMkIII. I think that poster is smoking some good stuff...

01-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #50
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
A FullFrame APS-H sensor! and we thought it would be impossible! Truly groundreaking. This means soon we can have a FullFrame APS-C sensor too!
Actually "full-frame" doesn't necessarily mean 36x24mm. It's also a pixel-clearout method- in fact, it was used in the Oly E-1.
01-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #51
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If ratio 16:9 for HD - sensor size should be 30*17 mm or 32*18 mm or 28.3*16 mm.
But 30*16 mm - strange size.
01-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #52

That sensor size doesn't sound right.

If this camera is actually hd video capable though, it makes it an even greater professional tool, not just a toy.

Imagine working as a photo journalist and being able to get high quality video AND proper images from the same camera. Or even being able to shoot while capturing video.

Plus weather sealing? All the need is an improved flash system and they will be seriously moving in on Nikon territory.

01-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #53

210 people viewing the rumours forum alone?!?!
This is madness!
01-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #54
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
And why 16:9 does not make sense? It is not wasting space at all. It is an INCREASE in space over APC-C! Shouldn't any increase in sensor size be welcome?
ummm... well, no. High School Geometry. Dimensionally, a square maximizes area in relation to the summed length of its perimeter. The more rectangular you get, the smaller the ratio between the area inside and the perimeter:

2x2 square area = 4 ; perimeter = 8

Lets keep the sum of the sides (perimeter) constant to figure area:
1x3 square area = 3; perimeter = 8

If you keep pixel density the same in the two wafers above, the rectangle yields less pixels.
What does this amount too? More wasted space of the projected image through the lens onto the sensor the more rectangular we get...

I often crop to 5x7 or 4x5. Looks like I may have to crop even more out of my captures more often in the future ... if there's anything behind all this.
01-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We'd better stop

I think we got carried away by an unsubstantiated rumor.

In dpreview, two people under NDA basically say that the whole idea is hogwash.

So we are now back to square one.

Ben, can you comment? NDA forbid you to disclose anything about the info you know. But you surely can say no when something is not true.
01-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
If this camera is actually hd video capable though, it makes it an even greater professional tool, not just a toy.

Imagine working as a photo journalist and being able to get high quality video AND proper images from the same camera. Or even being able to shoot while capturing video.

Plus weather sealing? All the need is an improved flash system and they will be seriously moving in on Nikon territory.

It would make it THE camera to have for newspaper photojournaists who are often being asked to contribute still pics for the newspaper, as well as video for the paper's website these days.
01-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I think we got carried away by an unsubstantiated rumor.

So we are now back to square one.

Ben, can you comment? NDA forbid you to disclose anything about the info you know. But you surely can say no when something is not true.
Ben cannot comment at the moment.

He pissed himself (pardon my French) laughing reading this thread and is presently doing some laundry...

Hopefully he won't show us any pictures of the event.
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
That's a contradiction: is it 24x36mm, or APS-H ?

The D300 is not in the same class as the D3 & 1DMkIII. I think that poster is smoking some good stuff...
Well, that tells you something about the credibility of this rumor...:ugh:
01-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #59
Veteran Member

... NDA forbid you to disclose anything about the info you know ...
Honestly, I don't give a hoot what the people under NDA say.
If they feel obliged not to confirm something true, they should do the same to anything not true and stay out of *all* rumours altogether.

Saying something not true is a form of disclosing the info they know.
01-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #60
Veteran Member

LOL to everyone, just lol