Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You have pretty nice prices. Over here (still in EU) the 50-135 costs 1049.
Even the DA 16-45 costs 499, while on B&H it goes for $399. Maybe your country is the next to have a lens price increase
Hope not.
Like i said most are B&M so it are deals most stores can get and you see that most stores in the list have pretty low prices.
It's not unfair competition like it was in the US.

I bought the DA*50-135 just before the hoya price hike so i got it for around 600 euro, so if i sell now i could probably make a profit...

04-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think the rest of us are safe, this just brought the US in line with the rest of the world. I get the impression that the product has pretty much been whored on price for the US market. that's the problem with your whole distribution model being online. this will protect the B&M guys that they are trying to bring back. Mainly you are seeing the esult of sticker shock
the web has made the market pretty small, and US pricing was likely screwing up other markets (markets where the share is also larger BTW so obviously deep discount prices didn't help the brand)
There have been times when Canadian prices were cheaper on some Pentax items than the U.S.A.
04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There have been times when Canadian prices were cheaper on some Pentax items than the U.S.A.
very very rarely Blu. I spent 25 years in that industry and I can tell you US pricing was consistently a thorn in the side of anyone who retailed close to the border. Currently since this policy kicked in it is true on some (not all ) models of lenses. FA LTD for instance are still significantly cheaper in the US . OTOH DA* are currently cheaper here (for the first time ever)
while you've been paying $600 -700 for a DA 12-24 we have been at 1200 - 1300 and only recently dropped to 1000 (likely because it is slated for replacement and it hasn't been selling)
Some price variance i expect (we have higher costs due to the size of the country versus the populations and lower overall volume, not to metnion social policies that impact business cost). But with our dollar at par for an extended period i expected to see the pricing begin to meet (ie ours to drop somewhat and yours to rise)
04-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
very very rarely Blu. I spent 25 years in that industry and I can tell you US pricing was consistently a thorn in the side of anyone who retailed close to the border. Currently since this policy kicked in it is true on some (not all ) models of lenses. FA LTD for instance are still significantly cheaper in the US . OTOH DA* are currently cheaper here (for the first time ever)
while you've been paying $600 -700 for a DA 12-24 we have been at 1200 - 1300 and only recently dropped to 1000 (likely because it is slated for replacement and it hasn't been selling)
Some price variance i expect (we have higher costs due to the size of the country versus the populations and lower overall volume, not to metnion social policies that impact business cost). But with our dollar at par for an extended period i expected to see the pricing begin to meet (ie ours to drop somewhat and yours to rise)
I was referring to Pentax items in the digital era. I stand by what I said. There were times that some items were cheaper via vendors that sell via internet such as Henry's. Brick and Mortar is moot since they are few that carries the full range of Pentax. BH and Adorama and a few other Brick and Mortar are the exception and not the rule. I actually got a couple of things from Canada over the past 4 years although mostly I have dealt with BH and Adorama for new gear. I don't even know of a B & M from Atlanta to Miami that has Pentax gear other than maybe an entry kit. That is a 5 hour drive one way to Atlanta and about 7 to Miami one way.

04-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here it comes to the UK ... then the rest of Europe ?!

Bonjour,

FYI - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/182468-uk-lens-price-i...ml#post1910146

I be watching out for the French market and keep you up to date ... I am afraid that this is going to suck big time!

Salut, J Frog