Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
saved yourself a bit then thats good! nice one reserving it then, you would have lost out if you hadn't!
oh right so are the price increases part of restocking? so it is more that pentax has increased the prices (in the UK) than the shops have adjusted to the price across the pond?
Indeed, I am very happy! I will be part-exchanging some nice lenses to get the 60-250mm so SRS will do well out of it as well.

It indicates that that is the case, yes. It would also explain why certain lenses have not (yet) increased in price - there is still old stock available.

I will ask them on Saturday.

04-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

You know you could get it from a reputable major German retailer for 942 pounds (1139€) + shipping. In stock too.

Pentax 60-250mm / 4.0 EF (IF) DA* SDM
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
You know you could get it from a reputable major German retailer for 942 pounds (1139€) + shipping. In stock too.

Pentax 60-250mm / 4.0 EF (IF) DA* SDM
True but I would have to sell my lenses privately. And the price difference isn't huge after shipping.
04-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
Pentax will have to improve the outlook of the brand in the uk cos other wise they will lose out all together.
Having said that I know two people who recently bought into Pentax... Obviously they are swamped in people who bought the other two though

And it wouldn't surprise me Nass. I doubt it is part of a larger country wide scheme.
If they want to improve the outlook, they need to look at 3 or 5 year warranties for their premium gear and better support. 3 month repair waits are unacceptable.

04-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #20

So what i fear about the recent increase of price on Usa that would follow even for the rest of the world, is happen.

With price so high, make few sense invest on DSLR Pentax stuff anymore, because the price/performance ratio is lost.
04-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

I have to say that this kind of development makes me happy I switched. I simply can't mnake sense of DA21 and DA70 going for £500!!! Especially if they are APSC lenses, and competition has newer, faster, FF lens available for less!!! And I don't feel so bad for paying what I do for Canon stuff
Looks like my return to K mount has just about slipped away
04-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #22

Instead i'm a lot sad because on this way is probable that even the used market raise the prices (body and lens) so will became even more difficult hope for find a good deal.
Before (at least for the body) was possible because Pentax isn't diffused as Canon or Nikon but if you impose a higher minimum price for sure this will affect even the used market.

Actually i use almost only manual lens, except the kit, because the new lens are too much expensive and generally they cover only the aps-c, while the old lens that maintains some automatism are quite expensive - despite generally less respect the new one - but naturally these last came without any type of warranty.

The situations isn't better for the concurrency, if i take a look at the new but don't more produced products, on Italy, the price remain outrageous and the used market isn't developed.

So I don't like it. The users are the only one that lost for these type of decisions.

04-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Yes, Pentax was already too expensive here. I got my K-5 and the last couple of new lenses in Japan. Seriously, who needs another boutique camera brand? Just make products people want at prices they'll pay and advertise the damn things, Pentax!

Well said timh

dead right about the advertising in particular!!. I NEVER see pentax stuff advertised in the maisntream.
04-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I was afraid something like this might happen... that the price increase in the US may wave over to other countries. I hope it doesn't happen to the Asian market since prices here range from slightly higher than US prices to ridiculously more expensive than anywhere else.
04-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
True but I would have to sell my lenses privately. And the price difference isn't huge after shipping.
You don't, you still can just offload them at SRS. They may buy them right off you or offer you a commision sale.
If worse comes to worst you just list them here and they'll move...I've been there, done that...
04-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am baffled by why they would choose now as a good time to raise prices. Aside from the K-01 (which despite what people say - validly - about it's merits, has tanked as a product to raise Pentax's profile), they have introduced no new products and no compelling new reason to choose Pentax cameras. I could understand them hiking the prices up a few months after introducing a really exciting new body and generating a buzz about the brand. Seems the accountants have won out over the marketing strategists.

Perhaps they need to raise profits or generate income for R&D, but I bet the result of the price rises will be more people buying third party or second hand, or choosing to switch brands entirely, so it's more likely to be harmful.

Fortunately I have all the DA lenses I need and find Tamron and Sigma perfectly acceptable alternatives to Pentax lenses.
04-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I've found virtually all Ricoh's camera decisions baffling in the past few years, so I'm afraid it does fit a pattern.

I'd quite like to see Samsung buy Pentax in a year or two...
04-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I spoke to SRS on Saturday about the lens price rise and they said it's basically because Pentax has raised their wholesale prices. Apparently this is to bring their prices in line with the other first party manufacturers. SRS are obviously concerned that this will impact lens sales but they said at the moment they don't have much choice because they have to maintain their own profit margins. Which is obviously completely understandable. SRS also said they've been resisting this rise for as long as they could.

SRS clearly don't know what will happen in the future but they told me they were hoping that the prices would settle down a little lower than they are now but this is only based on what happened after the last massive price hike.

I am just glad I got the 60-250mm before it went up by £200.
04-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I've found virtually all Ricoh's camera decisions baffling in the past few years, so I'm afraid it does fit a pattern.

I'd quite like to see Samsung buy Pentax in a year or two...
I wouldn't want to see Samsung killing Pentax. Fortunately, it won't happen, both because it doesn't make sense for Samsung and because Pentax is no longer for sale.

Btw, history lessons are easily forgotten; Samsung had a chance to do something, when "collaborating" with Pentax. Yes, they made a sensor... anything else? Rebadging Pentax cameras and lenses, and claim they made them?
04-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wouldn't want to see Samsung killing Pentax. Fortunately, it won't happen, both because it doesn't make sense for Samsung and because Pentax is no longer for sale.

Btw, history lessons are easily forgotten; Samsung had a chance to do something, when "collaborating" with Pentax. Yes, they made a sensor... anything else? Rebadging Pentax cameras and lenses, and claim they made them?
Indeed. In the grand scheme of things Samsung really did very little for Pentax. Of course we will never know how much Samsung paid Pentax for rebading their DSLRs but Samsung didn't exactly carry through it's claims of wanting to be a name in the DSLR business.