Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Ned's blog appears to be down, or just disappeared. Interesting...

04-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Ned's blog appears to be down, or just disappeared. Interesting...
It must be a posterous issue because it's been up and down. Every time i see the comment i take a look and it's there though there is something weird happening with the older posts
04-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a DNS issue for posterous.com, one of three DNS servers for the domain seems to work, using data from 2012-02-21, the other two use broken data from today. The servers also seem to disagree on who is in control of the domain. The only working DNS server is no longer listed in whois, but is still visible here. This would seem to be completely unrelated to Pentax, and is probably related to Twitter buying Posterous.
04-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I like some of those little European cars....and they do get great mileage. However, when you have to drive great distances as we do here, the Interstates are a scary place to be in a tiny car. When those 18 wheelers pass you doing 80mph on the long flat desert stretches of W Texas, keeping your little car out of the ditch becomes your number one concern!
Regards!
Hah, I've not tried Texas but I've driven through California in a tiny car, and the friendly driving in the US is absolutely piece of cake compared to racing at 100mph past a row of trucks just to discover that one of them decides that 70mph isn't fast enough and enters the left lane at 71 mph, and while you brake, you discover the Porsche approaching you at 150mph and hope its brakes work too

04-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The interpretation is far from tortured. The OP was incredibly clear in his use of English to say either of them, not both.
You must be kidding. I'm not a native English speaker, but I used to work in the area of Computational Linguistics, so I know a tortured interpretation when I see one
04-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #156
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hah, I've not tried Texas but I've driven through California in a tiny car, and the friendly driving in the US is absolutely piece of cake compared to racing at 100mph past a row of trucks just to discover that one of them decides that 70mph isn't fast enough and enters the left lane at 71 mph, and while you brake, you discover the Porsche approaching you at 150mph and hope its brakes work too
In case you make it through the Lone Star State, you'll need to know it's illegal to drive through Texas without playing Robert Earl Keen in your car. Also, you better tell folks you just love Shiner Bock Beer with Lone Star being a close second!
04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
In case you make it through the Lone Star State, you'll need to know it's illegal to drive through Texas without playing Robert Earl Keen in your car. Also, you better tell folks you just love Shiner Bock Beer with Lone Star being a close second!
Can I get away with Hank III instead I can live with the bock
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #158
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

You better make sure it's a real Texan. Lyle Lovett, Jerry Jeff Walker or David Allen Coe might suffice. And if you're traveling on a budget, Pearl Beer is cheap, but doesn't taste that bad. Plus, it's still made in Texas.

04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter

Well if I listen to Hank III doing his stuff with David Allen Coe I'm safe then
Pretty sure Hank considers himself a Texan now though he has a real hate on for Nashville
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #160
Inactive Account

Well if I listen to Hank III doing his stuff with David Allen Coe I'm safe then
Pretty sure Hank considers himself a Texan now though he has a real hate on for Nashville

I'll remember that the next time he calls me wanting something cheap...
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #161
Site Supporter

B&M and 2 Big Box ... for Poitiers

... We have inferior warranty support, inferior repair facilities, inferior infrastructure, and inferior CS generally and yet we now pay the same or more for our equipment?
Bonsoir,

If you can find the equipemnt ... sigh.

Seems sad to say, but true ... I live in a town of about 120,000 and in a twenty minute walk from my house, I'm downtown in front of Phox Photo (B&M) with a window case full of Pentax equipment ... K-5, K-r, K-01(in 2 colors), Q (both B & W), just about every current lens in stock available, GPS, and both flashes ... plus there's a lot K mount Tamron, Sigma and Samyang to boot ... and the Sigma Macro flash for Pentax. They also have full lines of Canikon plus Sony and even a Sigma Merrill.

Across the street is FNAC, with its lesser overall (in Pentax) photo department, and about five miles in either direction is a Boulanger with K-5 and K-r in display cases.

My point? I guess things aren't that bad for me when I have read this thread about the Pentax retail distribution network in the States ... really bad and truly sad to realize this ... I was in Tulsa over the X-mas holidays and thought that I'd shop for some gear, but there's basically nothing ... I was surprised at the moment, but now understand why.

Speaks a lot when one cannot find gear in the Tulsa Metropolitan area (almost ONE million), but loads in a relatively unknown French city of a little more than 100,000. So, OK ...where's Poitiers again? Answer: next to Sidney ... old inside joke.

Bon courage mes compatriotes américains - Salut, John le "Brown" Baudet du Poitou

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-11-2012 at 01:18 PM.
04-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #162
Lens Buying Addict

I have not called for them to be more forthcoming in telling us their plans, merely expressed impatience. What I am irritated by is their reversal of the order in which things should be done in order not to alienate customers. How many retailers are in the network is irrelevant if you have alienated your customer base. Regardless of their long-term plans increasing their prices in such a drastic fashion without ANY improvement in the product offered the consumer is definitely bad business and is indefensible IMHO.
We disagree on one fundamental - I don't think Pentax increased the lens prices at all - they just insisted the dealers sell them at or near MSRP, as they do in other regions of the world. They can do that over a weekend. They can't build all the improvements the week before - the reverse order is just a fact of life.
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #163
Lens Buying Addict

There is only Hank. But that is over in an hour.

QuoteOriginally posted by oklahomakid93 Quote
You better make sure it's a real Texan. Lyle Lovett, Jerry Jeff Walker or David Allen Coe might suffice. And if you're traveling on a budget, Pearl Beer is cheap, but doesn't taste that bad. Plus, it's still made in Texas.
After Hank Lyle Lovett will do.
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #164
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There is only Hank. But that is over in an hour.

After Hank Lyle Lovett will do.
Neither Luke the Drifter nor Rocking Randall (Bocephus) are over in an hour.
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #165
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Neither Luke the Drifter nor Rocking Randall (Bocephus) are over in an hour.
Well, and when he comes in to chat, he'll say "call me Randall, Hank, Bocephus, Whatever" You gotta love it.
Closed Thread