Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Ouch" .. or in French, "aïe, aïe, aïe ..."

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Maybe Ned got another one of those special packages. Only this one was one from Japan with one of those special daggers.
That one's gonna hurt ... and it's pronounced like one would say "eye, eye, eye" in English ... today's free French lesson. Salut, J

04-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I wouldn't hold your breath. :P
I would never hold someone else's breath. I have enough time with my own. My high-school speech teacher said she didn't know why I was still alive because I didn't breathe. But she's dead now, so the joke's on her, eh? [/me inhales -- ahhhh...]

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Nah, just reassigned to a different Pentax Region. He's now Pentax Executive in Charge of Regional Development for Belize or some such.......
Pentax could probably sell a bunch of waterproof Optios to divers out in the Cays. Yeah, Belize has a lot of promise as an emerging market, as long as tourists keep coming. But the capitol city, Belmopan, is a funky place for corporate HQ. (I've stayed at the 'best' hotel in town. Giant roaches...) Belize City is even funkier. Dandriga is nice, but remote. Yeah, I'd put PRIC-Belize HQ on a boat. With a good engine, for a fast escape.

NOTE: Belize is the poorest nation on the mainland of the Americas, but prices there are about the same as USA. It's nutz. The Belize dollar (with a picture of the queen) is pegged at 2:1 with US$ and everything costs 2x the USA price, so there you have it. If you're driving, stock up on cheap stuff in Mexico or Guatemala.
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah, just reassigned to a different Pentax Region. He's now Pentax Executive in Charge of Regional Development for Belize or some such.......
Belize has a vibrant tourist photo economy.
04-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Belize has a vibrant tourist photo economy.
Well, then sending him there might not be a great idea.......

04-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #215
Site Supporter

Well, then sending him there might not be a great idea.......
How about Diego Garcia? That would put him closer to the home office.
04-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How about Diego Garcia? That would put him closer to the home office.
True. I like how you think!
04-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got word on the statement (or rather it made up):
Due to the recent backlash on lens price increases, we have come up with a new company saying:
PENTAX: The brand of extremist drama king and queen photogs everywhere. (TM)
Expect further increases every 60 days because our lenses or just that much more fantastic than the competition.

T-minus 6 hours and 50 minutes central time.

04-13-2012, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Due to the recent backlash on lens price increases, we have come up with a new company saying:
Expect further increases every 60 days because our lenses or just that much more fantastic than the competition.

Drama? No. Genuine astonishment at the arrogance of changing prices so dramatically without ANY increase in value.
04-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote

I'm looking forward to the new D-K mount and D-Q mount lenses that will be subsidized by the new pricing.
04-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #220

Pentax can only raise prices so much. Pentax needs to do more to increase sales and overall profits. Pentax would be better served by not only supporting their own cameras but by also supporting other camera makers. Pentax should make its lenses available in Nikon, Canon and Sony mounts. (Asahi) Pentax was originally an optical house that manufactured lenses.

A lot of people love Pentax for shooting legacy lenses on but there is no money for Pentax in used lenses. One of the many benefits of the MILC cameras like M4/3 and Sony NEX is that practically any legacy lens can be mounted to them, negating one of the selling points of Pentax.

New lens sales are where it's at. Unfortunately, the K-Mount is not selling in numbers like the Nikon F mount, Canon EOS or even the Sony Alpha. Pentax could continue with its own K-mount cameras and lenses, but also produce lenses for the much larger markets of the other camera manufacturers. Nikon announced that they will ship 30,000 D800's a month and 5,000 D4's. That a lot of cameras but only two models in their entire lineup. Those are numbers Pentax cannot match with the K-Mount alone. I'm sure Nikon, Canon and Sony users would be interested in some great Pentax glass.

Imagine shooting the FA Limiteds (or DFA) on Nikon, Canon or Sony DSLR's. Tapping these camera markets would really bring badly needed sales and profits in for Pentax rather than going it almost alone with the K-Mount. I'd love to see a Full Frame version of the DA 15mm Limited!
04-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Drama? No. Genuine astonishment at the arrogance of changing prices so dramatically without ANY increase in value.
I feel that way to a point as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I'm looking forward to the new D-K mount and D-Q mount lenses that will be subsidized by the new pricing.
Exactly.
04-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #222
Pentaxian

No Blue, that's on my bucket list. I spent a decade on Diego Garcia one year from 71-72. Russian trawlers watching Seabees build, build, build. Abandoned early Dodge Power Wagons and I still have a slide somewhere of a PBY Catalina washed ashore from the lagoon on the Plantation side. One of the most beautiful places, along with Mauritius and Bangkok, I ever shot Ektachrome in my Spotmatic II. Asahi ruled back in those days. 50/1.4 and 135/3.5 are still here beside the computer.
04-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #223
Veteran Member

Diego Garcia = current version of the Lend Lease Act Now more likely to be Buffs than Catalinas. Lot louder, too.
04-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Diego Garcia = current version of the Lend Lease Act Now more likely to be Buffs than Catalinas. Lot louder, too.
True Glanglois,
Just looking at Google Earth shows B-52's lined up forever. A couple of C-130's per week is far different than today.
04-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #225
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UrsaMajorMinor Quote
New lens sales are where it's at. Unfortunately, the K-Mount is not selling in numbers like the Nikon F mount, Canon EOS or even the Sony Alpha. Pentax could continue with its own K-mount cameras and lenses, but also produce lenses for the much larger markets of the other camera manufacturers.

But at least the PK mount lens' are selling better than Olympus and Sigma
Closed Thread