Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #301
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,210
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
Bingo! I still have people tell me they thought Pentax was out of business when I am out shooting with my K5, not just once in awhile either. A pretty blatant example of Pentax having no real recognition came in the form of the cover shot of Pop. Photo this month. There, on the cover, is a K5 covered in mud. You turn to the article that the cover was shot for, and they don't even talk about Pentax, instead they discuss, you guessed it, a Canon. Pentax U.S. should be, at the least, a little frustrated about this, but with the frequency it happens, I am guessing they are more resigned than anything...
Like I already told him, I never said this:
QuoteQuote:
Will you not consider that Pentax USA is just not doing a good job of marketing?
Like I said, I wasn't comparing Canada. The market size is different as I already outlined above. However, it has been discussed in dozens of threads over the past 5 years regarding the shortcomings of PentaxImaging and their product distribution.

04-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Where did I ever say PentaxImaging has done a good job? Any thread. All I said is I can't compare them with Canada. While I have seen some Canadians praise Pentax Canada, I have seen a few slam them over the past few years. What I said was is that some of the onus falls to the home office. They may not be allocating the resources and stock to allow a dramatic improvement. Hell, look how often certain items are sold out at BH and Adorama the past few years. If you go back and think about my previous post, what if Japan is allocating the same number of bodies and lenses to Pentax Canada and PentaxImaging? That is where the populations may come into play if that is the case.
LOL I'm pretty certain they haven't allocated Canada the same numbers. I think that part of the issue is a lot of bh and adorama stock went offshore because the price was so out of whack with the rest of the world that it made it cheaper to order from them than a local dealer.less so in the last couple of years in Canada since pricing normalized a bit, but it was still worth it on some items (DA12-24 for example was $1299 up here so a lot of Canadians likely bought from the US. It's now 999 on sale but that may be a clear out since I think it's being replaced
04-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #303
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,210
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LOL I'm pretty certain they haven't allocated Canada the same numbers. I think that part of the issue is a lot of bh and adorama stock went offshore because the price was so out of whack with the rest of the world that it made it cheaper to order from them than a local dealer.less so in the last couple of years in Canada since pricing normalized a bit, but it was still worth it on some items (DA12-24 for example was $1299 up here so a lot of Canadians likely bought from the US. It's now 999 on sale but that may be a clear out since I think it's being replaced
It was to some degree,but I don't think as much was going offshore as people think though.
04-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #304
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It was to some degree,but I don't think as much was going offshore as people think though.
No there is also likely the issue of what are the worldwide sales, and allocation based on a percent of worldwide sales combined with actual production capacity. Part of the fault definitely lies with Pentax US forecasting, but I'm guessing Japan is at fault as well. Over the years I've been involved in forecasts with big japanese companies. we'd look at new items (usually prior to their announcement at CES) and forecast sales by quarter and plan promotions. We'd do this in conjunction with the local distributor(ie Panasonic for instance). Japan had a planned increase in volume year over year on an item. If we forecast much higher because we saw in the new model a significant reason for much higher growth we would put in the request. Then Japan would say no sorry it will not sell that much you can only have this much (sometimes giving an extra 1-2% over their original plan but as often not). Of course if we were right it meant that inventories were tight on that item all year. That did have one benefit as pricing would hold with no silly discounting happening.

04-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #305
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
Bingo! I still have people tell me they thought Pentax was out of business when I am out shooting with my K5, not just once in awhile either. A pretty blatant example of Pentax having no real recognition came in the form of the cover shot of Pop. Photo this month. There, on the cover, is a K5 covered in mud. You turn to the article that the cover was shot for, and they don't even talk about Pentax, instead they discuss, you guessed it, a Canon. Pentax U.S. should be, at the least, a little frustrated about this, but with the frequency it happens, I am guessing they are more resigned than anything...
I wouldn't slam them too hard. The last time Pentax released a dSLR it made the cover (K-5 - Feb 2011) and had a subtitle of:
"This rugged new DSLR is tough—and tough to beat"
04-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #306
Senior Member
ibkc's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southeastern US
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 203
QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
Someone must be monitoring their blog, because post are being removed. They must think we are stupid and don't know how to take a Screen shot.
Are you talking about Ned's blog? The post promising an explanation of the new pricing policy is still there, as are all the ones before it, as far as I can see. Unless you're talking about replies to his post - which I thought seemed a bit sanitized. (Also I am surprised he allows comments at all.)
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #307
Banned




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire/Vermont
Posts: 118
Yes. I know mine was, because I have a screen shot of it there, and now it is gone.

Or maybe they just didn't approve it.

Last edited by AGWoodard; 04-16-2012 at 10:53 AM.
04-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
Well i can see that, like someone said i'm surprised comments are enabled at all

04-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #309
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
Yup, if I were him I wouldn't allow comments.
04-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #310
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that was an issue caused by Hoya apparently (they also stopped extending credit) There was mention that this is already changing (a retailer in Florida had mentioned it to a member here post CES)

It did have the benefit of saving a big loss like canikon suffered with Ritz.

At this point for the US it is almost like a new brand entering the market and it will certainly take a good coupe of years to fix the damage of the last few

Thanks for the information I didn't know that this was changing for the small b&m stores. Hopefully we will start seeing Pentax back in these small (USA) camera stores.

Dave
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #311
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Thanks for the information I didn't know that this was changing for the small b&m stores. Hopefully we will start seeing Pentax back in these small (USA) camera stores.

Dave
Well i can't be certain but someone did hear from a dealer things were changing, and it seems to be true based on events
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #312
Banned




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire/Vermont
Posts: 118
The only thing that has changed is we now get to pay a premium price for a product with an industry trailing warranty, unresolved SDM issues, to a company reluctant to address even the most basic accessories. If that's a positive change, this boat must be named Titanic II
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #313
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
If that's a positive change, this boat must be named Titanic II
The Titanic was much larger than Pentax. We're more like the Minnow II.
04-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #314
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The Titanic was much larger than Pentax. We're more like the Minnow II.
Ok, so Ned = Skipper, John = Gilligan, the Howells are played by Ricoh, hopefully the Professor is the rehired engineers, but who are Maryann and Ginger?
04-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #315
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, so Ned = Skipper, John = Gilligan, the Howells are played by Ricoh, hopefully the Professor is the rehired engineers, but who are Maryann and Ginger?
they are the booth girls who will be at photokina :
(sorry no handy snap for it)
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adorama, easter, holiday, pentax news, pentax rumors, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you think about the lens price increase? Matcha Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 330 04-20-2012 09:06 AM
No lens price increase seen in France ... (?) Jean Poitiers Pentax News and Rumors 49 04-14-2012 02:27 PM
Pentax Accessories Price Increase Kenn100D Pentax News and Rumors 10 08-12-2011 09:21 AM
WooWhoo -- Pentax Canada Price Drops :D :D and one price increase Jack Simpson Pentax News and Rumors 45 05-06-2009 10:10 PM
A Response Letter from Pentax; Price Increase. ajuett Pentax News and Rumors 19 04-06-2009 07:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top